Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-10-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
Roman Kremianski
Dojo: Toronto Aikikai
Canada
Making friends, maybe not quite like in Aikido

First of all, sorry this isn't Aikido related and doesn't belong here, but I found it interesting and maybe even beneficial to some of us. Again, I apologize.

The reason I thought it'd be a good read is because of how I've always read situations where the Aikidoka was able to turn the aggressor into a friend.

The following took place recently in a club here in TO involving my Muay Thai instructor. As my instructor is well known around the martial arts world, I'd prefer to simply refer to him as M.

M was in a club with a few of our club members. He briefly danced with a girl, who turned out to be the watchful nearby bouncer's girlfriend. The 6"2, 200lb bouncer didn't like it, and went straight for our M, despite the fact that M didn't know anything about the girl or her big bouncer boyfriend. Said bouncer roughly shoves our 5"8 175lb instructor.

Bear in mind that M hardly speaks any English at all, except for short quick words, from time to time. "hm why no respect?" asks M. Bouncer expresses his anger, and it is obvious he is set on attacking. "No, no, sorry, no sorry" apologizes M and walks away. No enough for Bouncer dude, he follows our teacher across the dance floor where he then confronts him in a separate room. Luckly, a second man who also works at the club catches up to them and trys to cool down Bouncer by informing him that M is a professional MMA fighter, and it would be unwise to follow through.

Bouncer takes a swing at M. Moving out of the strike, M double legs Bouncer, takes him to the ground, lands roughly 4 hits. Bouncer, in a desperate effort to stop the blows, turns around and gets chocked unconscious. M then waits for Bouncer to regain consciousness, checks if he is alright, and helps him over to a nearby couch. "crazy man, crazy" expresses M.

Bouncer then buys M a few drinks. His stunned students still standing nearby.

Last edited by Roman Kremianski : 01-10-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
Joseph Madden
Canada
Re: Making friends, maybe not quite like in Aikido

Any video proof Roman?
Old 01-10-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
Roman Kremianski
Dojo: Toronto Aikikai
Canada

I'd show video proof, but for some unexplainable reason only completely unrealistic and exaggerated events always seem to get caught on video. That video footage is then stored in a vault thousands of feet bellow Mount Fuji, never shown to a soul.

Normal and acceptable stuff unfortunately is just witnessed.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:44 PM   #4
Joseph Madden
Canada

I understand.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:30 PM   #5
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
Roman Kremianski wrote: View Post
First of all, sorry this isn't Aikido related and doesn't belong here, but I found it interesting and maybe even beneficial to some of us. Again, I apologize.

The reason I thought it'd be a good read is because of how I've always read situations where the Aikidoka was able to turn the aggressor into a friend.

The following took place recently in a club here in TO involving my Muay Thai instructor. As my instructor is well known around the martial arts world, I'd prefer to simply refer to him as M.

M was in a club with a few of our club members. He briefly danced with a girl, who turned out to be the watchful nearby bouncer's girlfriend. The 6"2, 200lb bouncer didn't like it, and went straight for our M, despite the fact that M didn't know anything about the girl or her big bouncer boyfriend. Said bouncer roughly shoves our 5"8 175lb instructor.

Bear in mind that M hardly speaks any English at all, except for short quick words, from time to time. "hm why no respect?" asks M. Bouncer expresses his anger, and it is obvious he is set on attacking. "No, no, sorry, no sorry" apologizes M and walks away. No enough for Bouncer dude, he follows our teacher across the dance floor where he then confronts him in a separate room. Luckly, a second man who also works at the club catches up to them and trys to cool down Bouncer by informing him that M is a professional MMA fighter, and it would be unwise to follow through.

Bouncer takes a swing at M. Moving out of the strike, M double legs Bouncer, takes him to the ground, lands roughly 4 hits. Bouncer, in a desperate effort to stop the blows, turns around and gets chocked unconscious. M then waits for Bouncer to regain consciousness, checks if he is alright, and helps him over to a nearby couch. "crazy man, crazy" expresses M.

Bouncer then buys M a few drinks. His stunned students still standing nearby.
As it is so adamantly determined by the new-age You-tube hugging crowd... I for one will step out and demand that...

YOU-TUBE OR IT DID NOT HAPPEN!

Boon

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:39 PM   #6
Ryan Sanford
Dojo: Northwest Aikido
United_States

Glad nobody got (seriously) hurt. Also good to hear that they worked out their problem in the end. I'm sure there's something deep here, but I'll leave it to someone smarter than myself to draw those conclusions.

Thanks for posting the story.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:40 AM   #7
CarlRylander

I believe it, though I couldn't do it.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:50 AM   #8
Cyrijl

Yeah, sometimes you can't avoid the confrontation.

melior est canis vivus leone mortuo
Bog svsami!!!
Old 01-11-2008, 07:08 AM   #9
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States

Yup, sounds like M didn't start it, kept the use of force to a minimum and then stayed as civil as possible. Thanks for sharing, Roman.

Taikyoku Mind & Body
http://taikyokumindandbody.com
Old 01-11-2008, 08:33 AM   #10
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Roman Kremianski wrote: View Post
I'd show video proof, but for some unexplainable reason only completely unrealistic and exaggerated events always seem to get caught on video. That video footage is then stored in a vault thousands of feet bellow Mount Fuji, never shown to a soul.

Normal and acceptable stuff unfortunately is just witnessed.

Funny how that works.
Personally I'm of the opinion that most topics can be related back to aikido in some way, even if only as an idea to apply to our training process. I think this one is a good one because it shows the overall idea of reconciliation. How we defend ourselves isn't always pretty...in fact, in most cases that I've seen and heard of, it isn't. What matters the most, I think, is that we strive to end things on a positive note for all involved. I think that idea reflects the metaphysical aspect that's so popular in Aikido, but which is of course not exclusive to it. On a side note, it's that kind of abstract notion which made me think your own experience at the subway station was "aiki,"
...Granted, M's experience might have been more so in that it sounds like he was able to personally interact with his "partner" after having taught a useful lesson about why it's pretty stupid to pick a fight with someone you know nothing about.
Hopefully the bouncer will remember there are a lot of "sleepers" out there who look innocuous, but who will not hesitate to do whatever it takes for them to succeed in their aims (self defense or otherwise), whatever that may be. From what I understand of bouncing, dude learned something about what he was lacking in his trade.
Nice story.

Last edited by mathewjgano : 01-11-2008 at 08:36 AM.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 01-11-2008, 08:40 AM   #11
Will Prusner

Dojo: AikiSpirit Dojo
United_States

you know, due to the readily available nature of video editing software, film quality computer generated images, the epidemic use of consumer digital video cameras and the low quality images displayed by most online video hosting site, YOUTUBE proof might not be as valid as we would hope. Not to mention that an individual in the public eye (or anyone with some foresight, for that matter) might be hesitant to posting video of themselves online committing an act that could be considered criminal in certain jurisdictions. What good would video proof that I could beat up a bouncer do me in prison?

For me, I'll take what I can from the moral of the story and leave it at that. If it's true, great. If it's not, no harm done.

W.

p.s. - Some of the claims made by Onisaburo Deguchi and the Founder regarding Shinto mythology seem far-fetched at times. But I think if given the opportunity, demanding tangible evidence of the claims would be the last thing I'd do. Instead, I might be wiser to investigate what the story (and my reaction to it) can tell me about myself (Am I a trusting person?, Do I feel the person I am speaking to is not trustworthy? If so, Why am I conversing with them? Is the lesson I can learn from the story more important than the truth of the story itself?) and my martial training.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration...

ART! - http://birdsbeaks.blogspot.com/
Old 01-12-2008, 07:52 AM   #12
CarlRylander

I don't know why people need proof of everything.

There's people who can add up and multiply 100 figure numbers. There's people who walk a tightrope between two high building.

It amazes me. I thought all martial artists aspired to do fantastic things.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:38 AM   #13
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

The Youtube or it didn't happen is more of a joke, me thinks. It is to parody a certain MA website where the crowd there deem that anything not on Youtube means it did not happen.

On a more serious note, if I am the management, I would cease employment of the said bouncer. He let his personal relationship to get involve with his professional conduct.

Roman's friend/teacher was a paying customer of the said establishment, and to have an employee be rude to any paying customer is a gross misconduct.

In another words... what the hell was the F?cking bouncer doing? Ruining my business and scaring away business? I will tell him, "You are fired!", and that is if from a view point of management.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.