Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

aikido articles

dojo search
image gallery
links directory

book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

rss feeds

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-17-2007, 04:40 AM   #26
David Yap
Re: Pain

Paavo Nurmi wrote: View Post
Is it possible to train to handle more pain than before? Of course if you always punch yourself in the nuts it will become easier. But that is just one part of the body. So any suggestions?
Yes. But, why?

I suffer from a herniated disc, tendonitis in my wrists and elbows, pinched nerve about my right shoulder blade that make me unable to grip with the last two fingers. That's enough pain for a lifetime.

If you insist, go find an abusive sensei.

BTW, I am going 51 and still give the "perfect" ukeme.

Train smart and you can train longer.

Best training,

David Y
Old 12-17-2007, 08:38 PM   #27
Chicko Xerri
Dojo: Aikido Kenkyukai International Fudoshin dojo Australia.

In the beginning pain is always there but it dosn't have to be. As our Aikido develops and it will when we eventually transend from Martial Arts to Aikido... This is my perseption at the moment.

Techniques in Aikido act on the Mind Body Center. One may be mistaken to think techniques are executed on the extrematies of the body only, hands, limbs and joints ect. True Aikido technique acts on that which motivates and initiates movement. Nikyo, Sankyo and other technique form shapes in the physical wrists limbs and body. The truely effective technique acts on the Mind Body Center. Control in locking and unlocking this Center without pain in the joints and body should be our goal for technique advancement. This goal can come from sophisticated Ukemi.( the ability to become sensitive to changes within movement.)
Higher level Aikido begins with highlevel Ukemi.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:42 PM   #28
Kevin Leavitt
Dojo: Team Combat USA

Damn, just typed a long post and somehow it disappeared!

Anyway. to abbreviate, which is probably best anyway!

Pain does not have to be a part of it. Most of us in the west have not developed our bodies adequately in a way to train in martial arts, or an art such as aikido.

To do the things that are required of the art, we need to have pretty good core strength.

You must be able to squat down to seiza with good posture, stand back up, pull your center from your core, use your hip flexors, maintain good spinal alignment...and all that stuff.

I observer most beginners and I really think that we through them out there on the mat doing this stuff with little or no good conditioning.

We think they cannot do these things because they simply need to learn the moves. What I observe many times is that they simply have not developed the core strength to do them correctly.

Unfortunately, If we took the time and told them to "go do these exercises, and come back in a year". we'd have an empty dojo!

So, they endure the practice as best they can, "cavet emptor" and hope that they do not get injured backs, necks, or torn rotator cuffs from losing their balance and falling wrong, oops I mean taking ukemi!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!