Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-07-2007, 02:13 AM   #201
Joseph Tutton
Re: Aikido is 99% strikes and only 1% preparation.

Erick Mead -- No, I haven't seen "Seraphim Falls"., or "Firefly". I will watch them as soon as possible. I will hope that readers here will forgive me for pontificating about things that I can not honestly speak upon in the Aikido tradition. My opinions come only from my long study of Musashi, and how from my recent studies of Ueshiba O-Sensei where he seems to have understood what Musashi said. I believe, from my very limited studies, O-Sensei understood the Void, as did Musashi.and that he wished to help Musashi find peace, by continuing the path he was upon. Musashi began with Shinken, yet after his only defeat by the Jo, he found enlightenment with the stick that was found to hand. Ueshiba O-Sensei brought a spiritual way to us. But it was based on a radically martial way -- a way where the martial ways can bring peace. But I admit that I can only speak from a spiritual interpretation of physical laws. I speak only from what I have learned from Musashi directly, but my statements about what Ueshiba O-Sensei is about are only about Maitreya, which Joseph only acheives at death at the end of this life. Again, I hope no one here takes personal offense. "In time of peace, a gentlemen prepares for war." I believe we are in a time of war. May we find peace soon.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:38 PM   #202
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

figuratively and philosophically speaking we are at a time of war from the time we are conceived or born until the time that we die, or depending upon your belief system, until you return to whatever state of unconsciousness or "unbeing" that you believe in. (how's that for political correctness??? )

Anyway, for many, the struggle to live and to reconcile yourself as a separate and distinct personality and being is what we are working with.

Aikido, Buddhism, any twelve step program...and all major religions have develop methodlogies, faiths, belief systems, bibles, practices, rituals, holidays to assist us with that struggle!

Mushashi and Ueshiba were two notable individuals that codified some aspects of it. I think they probably were on to something, and for many of us...we can identify and connect with them.

What they offer helps us not prepare for a war...but fight our own private war to understand...that is to live!

Old 12-08-2007, 10:43 PM   #203
Joseph Tutton

Kevin Leavitt -- Sir, thank you for your kind reply. Sometimes I say things without completely listening to (or reading) what has preceded in the conversation. And while I rarely say things that I do not mean, I too often say things that were best left unsaid, or had already been said better. As to "one strike, one kill", David Orange wrote here, "The death spots are those places your mother teaches you not to hit other children....". Mark Murray wrote of Takeda Sensei's emphasis on break/kill in his training, and how Ueshiba O-Sensei developed his teachings beyond there. And others said things I should have absorbed before being snide about the lack of sword understanding among those who have spent many years of their lives in the study of Aikido. Just today, I read George S. Ledyard's comment on the thread "Weapons forms vary" and learned that there is no systematic weapons curriculum at Aikikai Hombu Dojo. While this amazes me, it does make it clearer to me why my assumptions about Aikido sword disarms seem so strange to some posters. Beyond that, I would just say that my world view is not as dark as it might have sounded. The Void is not unconsciousness or unbeing -- it is very conscious, but there are no others there. It is true, as you say, that to reconcile ones self with being a distinct and separate individual in this world is what we have to deal with. Maitreya is the Buddha of the end of time. Ueshiba O-Sensei found this union. I, personally, am in no hurry to do so. Thank you, again, sir.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:10 PM   #204
Jonshez

England

Just to bring the thread somewhat back on track (some hope!).

My understanding of the article was that the percentages were not meant to be taken literally. Nor that striking was to be taken as the literal physical action.

My understanding was that the thing that defined Aikido (in his opinion) was the ability to choose what to do with your attacker. That ability to choose being the 99% The freedom to decide yourself rather than to be a victim of their choices.

I don't think he was suggesting that new aikidoka should be taught how to punch.

I'm very tired after watching Hatton v Mayweather so I'm probably not making myself clear!

Ai-Ki cannot be exhausted
By words written or spoken.
Without dabbling in idle talk,
Understand through practice.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:45 PM   #205
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Jon,

I think you are on to the essence. It is all about Choice. aikido, IMO, is alot about choice. That is, expanding the gap between choice and non-choice.

Through practices such as aikido, we can begin to recognize that by becoming more skillful we have options that may not previously been apparent or available to us.

Many have pointed out in other threads that a pacifist is not one that does not use violence, but rather has the choice and the ability to use it, and chooses not to use it.

To me aikido boils down to stimulus and response. The gap in between stimulus and response is choice! that choice is what aikido is all about.

So, when we talk about 99% strikes and 1% preparation, I think, at least philosophically we are talking about just that. Being in the moment and having the ability to strike...always....but choosing other options because we have the skill to do so.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!