Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-21-2007, 11:02 AM   #1
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States
Iwama Hakama

Can any of the Iwama people tell me what is the "traditional" way of tying the hakama? Do you tie the back first with the front straps wrapped around the outside, the front first with the knot in the back or the front, or is it a matter of personal choice? Did Saito Sensei ever address the proper wear of the hakama? Thank You!

Old 10-21-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Iwama Hakama

Ok this has been the subject of great debate at my dojo. I'll tell you the way my teacher (8 years in Iwama, Saito Sr. 4th dan) tied his hakama, after that I take no responsibility.

Tie the back first. bring the short ties around to the front and tie a bow (double reef knot). Then pull the front over that tie and pull it over and down the sides, wrap twice around yourself then tie what ever fancy knot you like in front.

Now, I know this is not a very traditional way to tie your Hakama. I have also been told it's the "hillbilly" way. That being said I have tried lots of different ways of tying my Hakama and this tends to hold up the best during hard training. It is a difficult one if you have to go to the bathroom though.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
... It is a difficult one if you have to go to the bathroom though.
Here we do like Chris said, but with a shoelace knot instead a double reef knot. It makes the bathroom thing easier.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:09 AM   #4
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain

Not "that much" of an Iwama stylist myself, but I tie my hakama as explained in the videos from Angier Sensei of Yanagi Ryu fame. I think it's called "juji musubi"...
Old 10-22-2007, 10:55 AM   #5
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Alejandro Villanueva wrote: View Post
Not "that much" of an Iwama stylist myself, but I tie my hakama as explained in the videos from Angier Sensei of Yanagi Ryu fame. I think it's called "juji musubi"...
Could you please explain?

Old 10-23-2007, 02:51 PM   #6
Flintstone
Spain

Quote:
Nafis Zahir wrote: View Post
Could you please explain?
It's better explained in http://kimonoo.net/ha-1.html . Instructions are step by step but in Japanese. Anyway pictures are self explanatory.The result is like in this picture:

Hope it helps!
Old 10-23-2007, 04:42 PM   #7
akiy

Quote:
It's better explained in http://kimonoo.net/ha-1.html .
I'd personally be a bit wary about having a knot being tied at the lower back like the above set of instructions/photos presents. This may be OK in day-to-day wearing of a hakama or in arts like kyudo and iaido, but I wouldn't want to fall on the knot during aikido keiko...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 10-23-2007, 10:05 PM   #8
Nikopol

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote: View Post
I'd personally be a bit wary about having a knot being tied at the lower back ... I wouldn't want to fall on the knot during aikido keiko...

-- Jun
Absolutely agree. The one and only time I tied a knot in the back ukemi was unbearable.

Actually I often take the long ties, pass them around my back once, and don't actually tie them, just cross them under in front, pull that taught and wrap the ends around my back again and tuck them.

then I lock it down with the short strings.

This you can tighten up as you go with out undoing knots.. and it stays put if you keep your center.

Hard to describe but if you try it you will see what I mean.

But I will tie the long ties in front with a small crude knot before jiyu waza.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:52 AM   #9
Flintstone
Spain

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote: View Post
I'd personally be a bit wary about having a knot being tied at the lower back like the above set of instructions/photos presents. This may be OK in day-to-day wearing of a hakama or in arts like kyudo and iaido, but I wouldn't want to fall on the knot during aikido keiko...
Totally agree, Jun. But I was referring to the hakama himo, not the obi, as I use the standard judo belt.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:20 AM   #10
akiy

Quote:
Totally agree, Jun. But I was referring to the hakama himo, not the obi, as I use the standard judo belt.
I was referring to the hakama himo as well.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 10-24-2007, 11:06 AM   #11
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

A very common traditional Hakama tie (the one I would guess Jun is talking about), requires you to tie the himo in back first from the front panal.

Wearing a judo style belt under your hakama messes up your pleats, and looks goofy. I dicared that idea a few years ago, when I noticed it was distroying my hakama, and was much less comfortable then going without.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:04 AM   #12
Flintstone
Spain

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
Wearing a judo style belt under your hakama messes up your pleats, and looks goofy. I dicared that idea a few years ago, when I noticed it was distroying my hakama, and was much less comfortable then going without.
I agree with that. But a judo belt is better than nothing, IMHO.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:08 AM   #13
mjhacker

Dojo: Renshinkan
United_States

I wear an iai obi (color doesn't matter) and start by tying the front of my hakama. I wrap the front himo around twice, tying them in back. (I've heard people say it's dangerous, but this doesn't fit my experience.)

I bring the koshi ita up and lace the himo through the iai obi, pull them forward, and tie a pretty knot in front.

This way of tying my hakama has never resulted in an unexpected "flash" during keiko, and it's infinitely easier to drop hak in an emergency.

Michael Hacker
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Renshinkan
http://renshindojo.com/

自由心流合気武道 - 鍛心館

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!