Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-20-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
DonMagee
United_States
Mat's for college judo/bjj club

I am looking to get an informal judo/bjj club going here on campus. I have the people with the desire, but now we need the mats.

They will probably need to be taken up after every class, so I'm thinking folding mats. I'm currently looking at two options.

http://mancinomats.com/martialarts/series200.htm
and
http://dollamur.com/martial_arts.htm (2 inch variety)

Do you think 2 inches is too thick for standup work?

Also do you think there is a cheaper option?

Any other recommendations? I think we want to start by covering a 18x18 area, or a 24x24 area.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 09-20-2007, 04:05 PM   #2
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States
Re: Mat's for college judo/bjj club

I like folding Swain mats. I'm sorry to report that they are a little pricey, but your knees might thank you later. Zebramats may have a slightly lower rate if you can get post seminar mats at a reduced rate. If you belong to the Judo association they have an even better price.

Best of Luck to you and your club.
jen smith

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 09-20-2007, 10:46 PM   #3
JAMJTX
Dojo: Aikibudo Seishinkan
United_States

I like the Dollamur roll up mats. They are very portable. Mine just arrived and we used it for the first time in class today.
I came back to offer a review in the other MATS thread here.

But - do you have to buy mats? Or can you get use of the wrestling room (if your school has one).

Jim Mc Coy
Old 09-21-2007, 05:32 AM   #4
DonMagee
United_States

We have to buy mats, our school canceled it's wrestling program about 10 or 15 years ago. The old wrestling mats are so nasty even after two cleanings they still stink, and the surface of the mats is torn and just not safe.

Thanks for all the input. I just want to make sure I get the best bang for my buck.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 09-21-2007, 12:33 PM   #5
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Hi Don,

We recently purchased some 2" Dollamur mats from Swain for our small club and use them on concrete - they are firm and I am really pleased with them so far - they roll up nicely and are easy to move around because of their light weight.

Greg
Old 09-21-2007, 01:27 PM   #6
DonMagee
United_States

Do you need to tape them together, I mean we will have to pick these up every night. If we just roll them out and line them up, do you think they will more all around?

That is my only concern, the mats will be on a hard wood floor (basketball/racketball type flooring). I was thinking mats that hooked together with velcro or something of that sort might be a better fit.

- Don
Old 09-21-2007, 01:50 PM   #7
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
Do you need to tape them together, I mean we will have to pick these up every night. If we just roll them out and line them up, do you think they will more all around?
They should be taped - Swain will send a roll of clear heavy vinyl tape that is easy to put on and holds well.

Greg
Old 09-21-2007, 02:23 PM   #8
DonMagee
United_States

Yea, that kinda rules them out for us, taping every class would be a chore. They are really cool though, and I am probably going to get them for my basement at my house.

- Don
Old 09-21-2007, 03:43 PM   #9
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
I am looking to get an informal judo/bjj club going here on campus. I have the people with the desire, but now we need the mats.

They will probably need to be taken up after every class, so I'm thinking folding mats. I'm currently looking at two options.

http://mancinomats.com/martialarts/series200.htm
and
http://dollamur.com/martial_arts.htm (2 inch variety)

Do you think 2 inches is too thick for standup work?

Also do you think there is a cheaper option?

Any other recommendations? I think we want to start by covering a 18x18 area, or a 24x24 area.
We use the Series 400 Mancino mats exclusively.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:44 PM   #10
Aristeia
New Zealand

2 nights a week we do mats down mats up. we use jigsaws - work well, once people get the hang of it they lay them pretty quick and they obviously hang together very well

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 09-21-2007, 06:49 PM   #11
heathererandolph
Dojo: Kokikai Aikido Boston
United_States

We use just plain foam (it comes in big rolls) inherited from another dojo. We keep the mats together with some tent weights which are bags filled with sand and put the foam against a wall with the sand bags on the other side. They mostly stay together but sometimes come apart at then ends. I think the flexibility of the folding mats is something you might want to consider. You can just use less of them for a smaller area. I think the foam feels the best, it is a very forgiving surface. We do have a cloth that goes over the foam, also. I looked and looked for mats myself. They use the carpet bonded foam at cheerleading meets, and they sometimes sell it at a discount after the meets. Velcro is used to attatch the mats. There are few cheerleading competitions where I live, but you can look on-line or call the supplier to see if there is one coming up near you. At one point I even e-mailed every martial arts studio in my area looking for used mats. We did get some from a dojo, but they were pretty raggedy. Free, though!
Old 09-26-2007, 01:32 PM   #12
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Okay, I can't speak for the other mats, but the Flexi-Roll system is hard to beat, IMO.

I used the Flexi-roll tumbling mats for almost three years before I was able to install a permanent mat. I used them on concrete and then on a dance floor which was sprung. They were better, IMO, on the concrete, but only because they were a little "squishy" on the sprung floor. Some of that was a function of the floor itself. Some of it was that we used 2" foam and probably only needed 1".

What I did was buy two 49' rolls and cut them in half, giving me four 24' rolls (yes, I know the math doesn't work out, I trimmed them down because the original space dimensions). This gave me a square mat, about 24'x24'. Not huge, but worked okay.

The mats do need taping, but at least on the tumbling mats the tape was a strip of velcro that stuck to the carpeted surface. Taping took about five minutes when I did it entirely myself and was being picky. Since it was velcro, the tape was reused, not disposable. I don't know how this is handled for the martial arts, tatami style mats. But, FWIW, the only reason the mats needed taping was to keep them from drifting apart. The seams weren't a problem as long as the mats stay together.

All in all, it took about ten or fifteen minutes to set up with two people doing the work, less when there were more people who knew what to do. Five minutes to pick up the mats and put them away at the end of the night.

My biggest complaint was that it was too often entirely up to me to do the setup.

I sold my old mats to my dad's judo club and their only complaint is that the carpeted surface is a problem for groundwork. My dad says he thinks the solution is to get a vinyl or canvas cover made that would fit tightly over the mats when they are down. That would, I think, eliminate the need for tape as well.

Last edited by mriehle : 09-26-2007 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Forgot some stuff about setup.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:00 PM   #13
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

You should get THIS stuff

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 09-26-2007, 02:01 PM   #14
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos

I have zebra mats on my main training space, and a smaller 800 sq ft mat area covered by the Dollamur roll out mats. The vinyl tape they send with the mats doesn't hold well if you have to roll them up often (the smaller mat area has an aerobics floor under it, so the mats have to be rolled up often). But, I contacted the company and they make a heavy duty vinyl tape that matches the tatami surface. It has worked great for about 2 months now.

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos
Old 09-26-2007, 02:28 PM   #15
DonMagee
United_States

Well, it looks like I get the best of both worlds, first I'm going to have to buy a small amount of mats to get started, but the college is looking to add a new room onto the activity center for things like martial arts, yoga, etc. Being that I am in a position to supply a lot of info to the board, I can control the type of surface we put in this room. So I can get some cheap folding mats now, then good mats for the new room on the colleges dime :-)

- Don
Old 09-26-2007, 03:07 PM   #16
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States

Well, Don, then....

WOOHOO!!!!!!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!