Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Language

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-13-2002, 10:05 PM   #1
njnoexit
Symbols

on the front page of this website there are 3 symbols? what do thay mean?
Old 04-13-2002, 10:54 PM   #2
guest1234
Hi Adrian,

If you mean the kanji near the doka of the day, then top to bottom it is "ai" "ki" "do". Look at the top left corner of the page, and you will see, left to right "ai" "ki" web = aikiweb!

Some folks on this web speak and write fluently in Japanese, and sometimes their post wil have very strange looking symbols unless your computer has the ability to write kanji.
Old 04-14-2002, 10:47 PM   #3
njnoexit
I wanna learn jappanize now. I feel like an outcast not knowing. but between spanish classess and work. I know it will be some time.
Old 04-14-2002, 11:02 PM   #4
guest1234
You certainly are NOT an outcast, most of us know enough Japanese to get by in class (yes, sorry, please train with me) and maybe be sociable to the sushi chef. But learning another language can only help you in the long run, and way too many Americans are too lazy to bother.

Some ways to start: language tapes, either from a book store or a library; some high schools (mine did but I went for Latin ) and junior colleges teach classes, and sometimes adult extension classes. Good luck!

Hmmm, maybe if enough folks were interested, Jun would add a word or phrase of the day to the web...
Old 04-14-2002, 11:15 PM   #5
akiy

Quote:
Originally posted by ca
Hmmm, maybe if enough folks were interested, Jun would add a word or phrase of the day to the web...
Interesting thought! I'll have to think about what that'd entail.

I wonder if the Japanese aikido term, its "definition," and perhaps its kanji characters (plus, maybe, even a link to the audio file of the word) might be interesting?

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 04-14-2002, 11:38 PM   #6
guest1234
Well, I would be interested

Maybe an occasional polite non-Aikido word or phrase, like good morning or good evening or sensei, may I get you more lasagna...

perhaps there is a future in an "Aikido Japanse" tape?

Last edited by guest1234 : 04-14-2002 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-14-2002, 11:48 PM   #7
guest1234
and Adrian, so you can at least be as 'fluent' as most of us are, check out the language section
Old 04-14-2002, 11:53 PM   #8
Simone
Dojo: Augsburg/Haunstetten
Germany
Hi Adrian!

Well, I know the Aikido-Kanji because they are on the back of my Aikido passport.

Hi Jun!

I join Colleen, I also would be interested in some word or phrase of the day..... At the moment I try to learn Japanese, I'm almost through with Hiragana, but it needs lots of time, as every other language, too. But I think I will never be able to learn the basics......

Bye,

Simone
Old 04-15-2002, 07:31 AM   #9
akiy

I'll say that if I do anything like a "word of the day," it'll be limited to aikido terms and phrases as I already have such resources on-hand. I doubt I'd expand it to cover much else as I really don't have the time nor the inclination to make this into a general Japanese language site...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 04-15-2002, 07:32 AM   #10
Simone
Dojo: Augsburg/Haunstetten
Germany
This would be great!
Old 04-15-2002, 01:23 PM   #11
njnoexit
Thank you all for your support of ideas to the learning of japanize.
And thank you Colleen for responding to so far EVERY ONE of my posts. I find that very kind. and if any other people have responded to them all as well thank you too. and I am sorry for not notcing you.
and for the language Do you think it is wize to learn 2 languages at once? or will it get confusing?
Old 04-15-2002, 01:51 PM   #12
Bob Heffner
United_States
Hi All
I've attached a link to a freeware program called Kanji Gold. It has all kinds of Kanji and their meanings. My daughter and I used to mess with it. It won't teach you everything, but will introduce you to some Kanji. It starts out fairly simple with words like fire, tree, etc...

http://web.uvic.ca/kanji-gold/

Enjoy!
Bob
Old 04-15-2002, 02:19 PM   #13
njnoexit
wow thanks alot bob/