Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-29-2007, 08:15 AM   #51
Roman Kremianski
Dojo: Toronto Aikikai
Canada
Re: Wha' da..."

Quote:
Well, you can email any of the hombu instructors at Aikikai hombu. Just use the main address and they'll forward it to the right person.
Does he speak English?
Old 08-29-2007, 08:17 AM   #52
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

I think all who write here should have read the "No touch throw - again? OMG!!! " thread first:
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...abe#post152524

Personally, I am not a student of Aikikai, or Ueshiba Aikido. So I would not have any problem in considering some Aikikai teacher or technique as BS (I actually have done this more then once).

Still, too many here assume they know the purpose of this SHOW, some even claim it is supposed to convey S.D. If they are right about the purpose of this DEMO, it is obviously BS. But, whoever said this was the purpose, and it is not aimed at showing something else (I once speculated it could show Uke developing sensitivity, one could think of other reasons too).

I have encountered several internet forums discussions about some picture or video, supposedly showing some M.A. Sensei demonstrate a technique with lots of flaws. Only to read someone say he was there when the picture\video were taken, and Sensei was just explaining and showing common mistakes. I once even posted pictures of some meeting we had, and some of the pictures were from such moments, because those explanations are often slower and easier to photograph, I wrote next to the picture that sensei is explaining mistakes in bold, and still some people had to point at Sensei mistakes ...

Thus, unless you know for sure the purpose behind a show, be careful commenting on it.

Amir
Old 08-29-2007, 09:20 AM   #53
gregg block

United_States

[quote=Amir Krause;
Thus, unless you know for sure the purpose behind a show, be careful commenting on it.

Amir[/QUOTE]

I understand your point but Isn't the purpose of having a forum to comment on things such as this? We don't need to be 100% sure of anything in order to express our opinion based on our knowledge and experience. If we did this forum would be pretty thin and boring
Old 08-29-2007, 11:08 AM   #54
Amir Krause
Israel

Quote:
Gregg Block wrote: View Post
I understand your point but Isn't the purpose of having a forum to comment on things such as this? We don't need to be 100% sure of anything in order to express our opinion based on our knowledge and experience. If we did this forum would be pretty thin and boring
Not neccesserily: it is a question of how many assumptions are you making (all know assumptions = ...).

From my point of view, thinking of this show as an indication of Aikido for S.D. is as foolish as thinking of a flower arrangment show as a means for S.D. It is way too much BS for me to believe any vetran in Aikido would try such a thing. So, I refuse to make such an assumption without any validation.

Amir
Old 08-29-2007, 11:20 AM   #55
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Amir Krause wrote: View Post
Not neccesserily: it is a question of how many assumptions are you making (all know assumptions = ...).

From my point of view, thinking of this show as an indication of Aikido for S.D. is as foolish as thinking of a flower arrangment show as a means for S.D. It is way too much BS for me to believe any vetran in Aikido would try such a thing. So, I refuse to make such an assumption without any validation.

Amir
Good call, Amir.

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:30 PM   #56
gregg block

United_States

Quote:
Amir Krause wrote: View Post
Not neccesserily: it is a question of how many assumptions are you making (all know assumpti

Amir
I can't even begin to imagine what the purpose of such a show could be. When you find out let me know. Until then I'll stick with my assumption that it's the same mystic B.S. I've seen so many times throughout the martial arts..
Old 08-29-2007, 01:01 PM   #57
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Roman Kremianski wrote: View Post
Does he speak English?
No idea, but I'm sure that there are Japanese speakers in Toronto who can translate for you.

Best,

Chris

Old 08-29-2007, 02:10 PM   #58
Roman Kremianski
Canada

Are you just saying that because you know I ultimately won't bother?

Isn't there a brief/description up online somewhere written by him explaining the purpose of his demonstration? I would very much like to know, and I don't feel like traveling to Japan, emailing, phoning, contacting him by carrier pigeon, or enlisting any Japanese people.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:54 PM   #59
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Are you just saying that because you know I ultimately won't bother?

Isn't there a brief/description up online somewhere written by him explaining the purpose of his demonstration? I would very much like to know, and I don't feel like traveling to Japan, emailing, phoning, contacting him by carrier pigeon, or enlisting any Japanese people.
Not that I know of...

Best,

Chris

Old 08-29-2007, 09:52 PM   #60
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Just to bust your chops a little ...if you're not willing to do anything to find out it doesn't really sound like you would "very much like to know".

Heck, I bet if you emailed him in English there would be somebody at the Aikikai who could translate it for him.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 08-29-2007, 10:01 PM   #61
Roman Kremianski
Canada

Sarcasm doesn't really carry as well through forums.

And I'd say I'm mildly curious at best.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:55 AM   #62
Amir Krause
Israel

Quote:
Quote:
Not neccesserily: it is a question of how many assumptions are you making (all know assumpti

Amir
I can't even begin to imagine what the purpose of such a show could be. When you find out let me know. Until then I'll stick with my assumption that it's the same mystic B.S. I've seen so many times throughout the martial arts..
I don't have any idea about the purpose of this show. I am just not willing to make assumptions which seems so improbable to me (such as this being S.D.). The only no-touch throws I am willing to believe in, are those related to Uke safeguarding his own health and jumping before the technique hits him.

I would be happy if someone from Aikikai would be able to ask and get an explenation. Being myself from another system, I do not care enough ...

Amir
Old 08-30-2007, 05:17 AM   #63
David Humm
United Kingdom

Quote:
Sarcasm doesn't really carry as well through forums.

And I'd say I'm mildly curious at best.
English language is acceptable and a contact email address is on the aikikai website.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:56 PM   #64
maxwelljones
Dojo: Aikido at the Center
United_States

No touch throws might be a good teaching tool. Personally, at my level of experience, I wouldn't have a clue, but I'm pretty sure they don't make good embu material.

"Good evening, and remember: it's iriminage, not irimijime."
Old 09-02-2007, 10:17 PM   #65
Nikopol

Quote:
The suggestion has been made that this is meant to be humorous.
It is also been said that Watanabe is a good teacher and Aikidoka.

Perhaps we need to shake our heads to free them up from a calcified way of looking at this video.

In the context of a meeting of a group like this, an extended family if you will, there is the aim of instruction, but, for a body of people whose every meeting is devoted to instruction, this sort of meeting is a rather special gathering and the participants are meant to enjoy it. So the idea of a humorous 'skit' should not be surprising.

Especially one that embodies and displays skill - those back-bending ukes are demonstrating great control and fitness - and embodies the idea and spirit of ki, and contains some actual aikido contact. If the misunderstanding of ki is something of an inside joke, than this would be the place to bring some mirth into the program. Aikido study is not meant to be humorless, and the practitioners are not mechanoids.

I have always found that in such meetings of extended groups in Japan, for example religious gatherings, songs and skits will be offered. Let us contrast this pure entertainment to its alternative: alcohol and cigarettes and karaoke and loud stupid talking and shouting.

So if someone who has been there tells us it's meant to be entertaining, none of us reading this thread really have any cause to doubt that. After all, this is not the Charlatan in the other video who attacks a fighter first, pathetically, never uses ma-ai or sabaki and gets punched out. That guy was BS. But perhaps Watanabe sensei is just giving the flock some of natures best medicine. (Laughter)

My two yen's worth....
Old 09-03-2007, 12:12 AM   #66
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Maxwell Jones wrote: View Post
No touch throws might be a good teaching tool. Personally, at my level of experience, I wouldn't have a clue, but I'm pretty sure they don't make good embu material.
Quite the contrary - it's a great show.

Best,

Chris

Old 09-03-2007, 10:20 AM   #67
gregg block

United_States

[quote=Vincent Nikopol;188477]The suggestion has been made that this is meant to be humorous.
It is also been said that Watanabe is a good teacher and Aikidoka.

Perhaps we need to shake our heads to free them up from a calcified way of looking at this video.

In the context of a meeting of a group like this, an extended family if you will, there is the aim of instruction, but, for a body of people whose every meeting is devoted to instruction, this sort of meeting is a rather special gathering and the participants are meant to enjoy it. So the idea of a humorous 'skit' should not be surprising.

If it's humor I guess I don't get the joke but thats ok do what you like in your own house. Just don't put the joke on you tube and label it Aikido to be laughed at by serious martial artists.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:34 PM   #68
Nikopol

[quote=Gregg Block;188505

If it's humor I guess I don't get the joke but thats ok do what you like in your own house. Just don't put the joke on you tube and label it Aikido to be laughed at by serious martial artists.[/QUOTE]

I was reading 'Aikido with Ki' last night. Tohei Sensei writes that by extending your ki you avoid taking bad ki from others.

To let what they say on Youtube get a rise out of us, we are taking bad ki, all the more reason to be thankful for an occasion to lighten up.

But anyways, it certainly wasn't I who posted this on youtube, so perhaps a private message to the youtube poster is in order.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!