Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-10-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary
Mixing styles

Yes, I know, some of you who have read my threads are probably throwing your hands up in the air and thinking Im helpless.
(after reading my efforts in learning Aikido in a language unknown to me and my language unknown to them)

But, at the same time I figured that it might be easier with the second art - Im looking at Thai Boxing. It seems straight forward, I used to box...i watched them...and you hit and kick the bag. Cant be to much to it except getting in shape and supplementing Aikido with a hard style.

At the same time there is Wing Chun...but in some ways it seems like a similar concept as Aikido...use leverage or the persons weight against them.

We also have shoto(something) karate (wasnt really what Im looking for after watching it.

I like the whole jeet kun do concept of having a grappling, kicking, boxing, etc. mix.

Now we dont have B.J.J. so aikido will have to suffice for grappling (or poking an biting)

Anyone have a feel for the mix of Thai boxing (or one of the others I listed?) I saw the one thread of the guy taking karate...seems at the beginning some of the arts can make it harder to learn aikido if they are not different enough.

Peace

Dalen
Old 07-10-2007, 02:15 PM   #2
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Mixing styles

I train in bjj, judo, aikido, and Muay thai. I would personally suggest judo or bjj, but you said bjj was not an option. If you can find judo, I think you will find it adds a new dimension to your aikido. However, if you want striking, you simply can't go wrong with Thai. Its to the point, a sweet science of 8 limbs. I've trained with a lot of strikers from a lot of systems, and I really think MT is the most effective system I've seen. Its easy to learn, easy to apply, very effective, and can go as deep and advanced as you want to go. Plus it has a lot of hard contact sparing.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 07-10-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
dalen7

Hungary

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
I train in bjj, judo, aikido, and Muay thai. I would personally suggest judo or bjj, but you said bjj was not an option.
I've trained with a lot of strikers from a lot of systems, and I really think MT is the most effective system I've seen. Its easy to learn, easy to apply, very effective, and can go as deep and advanced as you want to go. Plus it has a lot of hard contact sparing.
Totally cool - I think I might just do that.
Just got to go and buy the gloves and shorts now. (is there a certain weight/size requirement/limitiation for gloves in MT?)

oh, there is no judo here - ironically. They seem to have everything else which was surprising.

Peace
Old 07-10-2007, 02:30 PM   #4
DonMagee
United_States

Ask your coach about what gear to by. He probably can get a cheaper deal then you. Plus some schools vary from 12-16 ounce gloves. Sometimes size is a consideration (bigger guys use bigger gloves). But your coach will know what you will need to work out with him.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 07-10-2007, 02:33 PM   #5
dalen7

Hungary

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
Ask your coach about what gear to by. He probably can get a cheaper deal then you. Plus some schools vary from 12-16 ounce gloves. Sometimes size is a consideration (bigger guys use bigger gloves). But your coach will know what you will need to work out with him.
Cool - thanks...

Peace

Dalen
Old 07-10-2007, 09:37 PM   #6
Roman Kremianski
Dojo: Toronto Aikikai
Canada

Give it a shot Dalen, MT is a lot of fun!
Old 07-10-2007, 09:48 PM   #7
Dewey
United_States

Personally, I'd take a "sampler" of each style available to you...spend a month or so with each one. You should know within a month of active study (i.e. 3x/week) if you like it and/or if it's for you.

I have done the same thing with Kajukenbo and Shotokan Karate (i.e. the "Shoto-something" you mentioned). Shotokan is for me...I like the hard lunge puches and hammer-fist strikes as well as the blocking techniques, but maybe isn't someone else's cup of tea.

Experiment. Do what works for you.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:58 AM   #8
dalen7

Hungary

Quote:
Brian Dewey wrote: View Post
Personally, I'd take a "sampler" of each style available to you...spend a month or so with each one. You should know within a month of active study (i.e. 3x/week) if you like it and/or if it's for you.

I have done the same thing with Kajukenbo and Shotokan Karate (i.e. the "Shoto-something" you mentioned). Shotokan is for me...I like the hard lunge puches and hammer-fist strikes as well as the blocking techniques, but maybe isn't someone else's cup of tea.

Experiment. Do what works for you.
your right...I actually have the opportunity for a free month at wing-chun (this is hard decision as its no the modern wing-chun that Sifu francis Fong taught in Atlanta...and he was 'bad to the bone'/extremely good)

As for Shotokan - truth is I have never seen karate in action...where I grew up it was always taekwandoe - (spelling), I watched 2 lessons of Shotokan and the one lesson seemed that they spent 30 minutes doing aerobics, running, pushups etc. Yet the other class did only karate...(suppose they strike a balance somewhere in between.)

Funny thing is the guy that teaches the shotokan is like 5-7 dan ( i remember he had a ton of stripes...and he is tough looking as can be...his son also high up in shotokan is the one who teaches MT boxing...I sensed in his MT demo that he was mixing more than MT in his style...unless MT includes flipping around backwards and kicking.) None-the-less the father and son team were pretty good.

It just appeared on surface that shotokan was a sport that did not involve the full contact/strength right away like with MT.
One of the Orange belts came up to MT to play around and the MT guy looked like he was getting the best of him.

I suppose out of the 2 MT would less likely conflict with Aikido as far as a beginner staying clear and not mixing up technique...but that is not based on experience and just what Im picking up here and observation. (The best to you, by the way in your combining shotokan and aikido...point actually does boil down to what you totally are into, and it sounds like you found the 2 sports for you...which is cool)

Peace

Dalen,.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:47 AM   #9
Christopher Gee

Dojo: United Traditional Aikido
United Kingdom

Aikido is and will always be a mungral art. Keep true to the prinicples that you feel are important in your training and you will get what you want.

Aikido cannot be limited, those people that say 'thats it, this is my corner, its my way or the high way...' ask them to read about all the greats that have been remember over the decades and centuries and not one is a 'pureist'.

There is no spoon.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:30 AM   #10
salim
United_States

It's great to see so many open minded Aikidoist. I think the new generation of Aikidoist have finally realized the importance of exploring other forms of martial arts. Simply great to read this thread.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:19 PM   #11
SeiserL

United_States

Loved MT. Loved WC.
Love Aiki.
Go for it.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 07-12-2007, 01:52 AM   #12
dalen7

Hungary

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
Loved MT. Loved WC.
Love Aiki.
Go for it.
cool so you did WC also?
Was it modern WC or the traditional?

Only reason I ask is I saw in Atlanta modern WC with Sifu Francis Fong (totally cool) - but here in Karcag, its not only traditional but its a branch through a guy who claims to have a better technique than the others...or rather had private lessons with yip man (forgot the history) in which the correct way was taught. (sounds like ego talk to me...but anyway) William Cheungs style is whats taught here.

The only issue I had is that there arent any real instructor levels teaching (bigger city for an actual instructor). The zeal of the one guy is pretty good though, but the other ended up having me do boxing in my 1st trial - literally pulled me aside and had me box with the other dude while he was wearing the practice pads.

Anyway...
Old 07-12-2007, 05:35 AM   #13
DonMagee
United_States

That is one of the biggest problems I see with WC, too many instructors arguing they have the real WC and everyone else sucks.

- Don
Old 07-12-2007, 06:45 AM   #14
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Dalen Johnson wrote: View Post
cool so you did WC also?
Was it modern WC or the traditional?
FWIW, it was pretty traditional. From Yip to Bruce. From Bruce to Ted Lucaylucay, my FMA/JKD instructor 20 years ago. The influence still shows in my Aiki, especially when there is a sharp pointy thing involved.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 07-14-2007, 04:29 PM   #15
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

for the best mixing style may I suggest a hamilton beach?

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!