Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-29-2007, 04:46 AM   #26
Beard of Chuck Norris

Dojo: Aberdeen Aikido Yuishinkai
United Kingdom
Re: Aikido vs. Holduppers

Piss-taking over-sensitive swines!

I heard from a practitioner of kali / silat who in turn heard it from Dan Inosanto (and a lot of other people).

I never said "everyone" or "everybody" i said "pretty much everyone" as it was what i was lead to believe. If you have evidence to the contrary feel free to state it in a matter-of-fact way rather than making me feel like a bell-end for trying to contribute.

Lots of people wear kilts here but they are in the minority, no claymores though.

Peace and love

Jo
Old 06-29-2007, 08:18 AM   #27
CitoMaramba

Dojo: Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui Group Philippines
Philippines

Ok, now that we're done with belaboring the typecasting (i started it, apologies for the thread drift), let's get back to the video clip..
After watching it several times, the sequence of events seems to be as follows:
At around 9 PM, the three alleged muggers confront the aikidoist and his girlfriend.. according to the girl, one points a balisong (butterfly knife at her), another holds her and tries to cover her mouth, and the third grabs her bag.
The aikidoist is able to defend himself. His only comment on what he did is that he was able to evade the punches of the muggers. Apparently he did get tagged as the camera does a close up of the area behind his left ear, which appears to have some sort of bruise.
The girlfriend was able to alert the police who rounded up the alleged muggers. The alleged muggers were also identified as being responsible for a series of previous muggings.
In their defense, the suspects claimed they were new to the area and not criminals and that the aikidoist thought they were going to do something to his girlfriend that's why he became agressive.

SInce there are no visible knife wounds on the suspects, it seems the aikidoist did not employ a blade.

Its been a while since I saw Mike Enriquez (the presenter).. I'd forgotten how annoying his voice is..

Last edited by CitoMaramba : 06-29-2007 at 08:22 AM.

Inocencio Maramba, MD, MSc
Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui
Old 06-29-2007, 11:40 PM   #28
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
Bronson Diffin wrote: View Post
Yes that is indeed true, just like in the U.S. everybody wears body armor and carries an M-16 (a friend of mine doing a semester of foreign study in Malaysia was actually asked if that was true)

Bronson
I live in M'sia. All this while I assume I could get a Guess(TM) branded body armour from the high street retailer in the USA. I also thought of getting a PIMPED-UP M16 in my next trip to the USA.

As for us more civilized M'sia, we wear a Boiler Hat that is bullet proof and carry a diamond tipped Brolly (Umbrella) which is also STAB-PROFF (TM). P22 Walters in mandatory in any gentlement's paraphernalia. And we must have our Martini shaken not stirred...There, M'sia Geography 101.

Boon

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:08 PM   #29
skinnymonkey
Dojo: Black Walnut Aikido - Ashland, OH
United_States
Aikido used in real life against a holdup! Can anyone translate this?

Someone sent me this link and I'd love to know the story (beyond the headline). Is there someone out here on AikiWeb who could translate?

http://www.gmanews.tv/video/8361/Aik...s-3-holdup-men

Thanks!

Jeff D.
http://www.usaikido.com
Old 06-30-2007, 11:34 PM   #30
villrg0a

Dojo: Shuryukan Yoshinkai Aikido
Saudi Arabia
Re: Aikido used in real life against a holdup! Can anyone translate this?

Try this --> http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...210#post182210
Old 07-02-2007, 08:49 AM   #31
skinnymonkey
Dojo: Black Walnut Aikido - Ashland, OH
United_States

I apologize that I missed this. Thanks for the tip!

Jeff D.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!