Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Teaching

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-14-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
Zasshu
Dojo: San Fernando Valley
United_States
Do symbol Attendance Cards

I wanted to purchase the template for attendance cards offered via Turtle, but they no longer carry the item. I am trying to design one myself but these endeavors usually end in tears. Does anyone use-have said cards that they would be willing to share in doc form ? Perhaps we all could get together and wiki a new student attendance card ? What say you ?

Gregory Poretz
Kenshokan MAA
Old 05-14-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
giriasis
United_States
Re: Attendance Cards

Do you know how to utilize the table function on Microsoft Word? I would create a monthly template set out like a calendar on a 5"x7" card. Name and basic info on the front. I'd image you can purchase the cards at your local Office Depot, Staples or other office supply store, and then print them up on your computer.

Anne Marie Giri
Women in Aikido: a place where us gals can come together and chat about aikido.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:20 AM   #3
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States

I have a design I use that I put together using Avery DesignPro. The software is often included free in packages of some of their labels.

It took me about an hour to put together a fairly complicated design set. All basically the same design, but a different card for each kyu rank, and a different set for adults versus kids.

I tried using Microsoft word and the same card stock (Avery 5389). It wasn't that tough and it was workable. I just found the Design Pro version more flexible.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:39 PM   #4
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

I saw something recently at a local karate dojo that seemed simple and effective. Champion Eyes Martial Arts Center of Oceanside uses a card system for attendance and each student has his card on a rack near the training area. Each card is approximately 3 X 8 inches and looks similar to an old IBM punch card. The cards are color coded by belt rank and the student's name is written across the top. It appears that there are two columns of blank spaces down the length of the card for a total of 32 spaces.

As the student comes in to train, he pulls his card from the rack and gives it to the instructor at the beginning of class. After class the instructor (or someone, perhaps elves) stamps the card with a day/month/year rotary stamp and replaces it in the rack. The student uses the same card until all the blanks are date stamped. What they do with the cards from month-to-month, I don't know, but it seemed like a pretty good system for tracking training hours for each student. It looked like a pretty simple process to duplicate, especially if you have elves to help out.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 05-18-2007, 10:58 AM   #5
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States

Following on to Michael Hackett's comments:

The system I use is similar. I inherited the system from my teacher, although he's since changed his system. I haven't been motivated to change to his new system since the one I have works pretty well.

I use 4x6 card stock from Avery and print up color-coded cards. Each card has the student's name and some information about what they are expected to be working on at their rank, along with 24 spaces for days on the mat. The cards are kept in a file box, filed alphabetically by last name. When students arrive at class they are expected to pull the card and put it in a basket provided. At the end of class I or one of my senior students will mark the card in the next empty space with the date. When the card is full, the student is eligible for promotion provided they can also meet the standards described on the card and in the curriculum.

It's as simple as you'd expect. I think the reason my teacher changed is sheer volume. I have a total of about twenty students, he's at around 150-200. The cards he uses actually have a 31 columns across and a few lines down, so he just checks the appropriate date. The system I use is simple, but a little labor intensive.

Date tracking turns out to be handy for figuring out who to call and remind when they slack off. Not so much for adults, but it's invaluable with kids.

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com