Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-17-2007, 10:49 AM   #1
Bowjamer
Dojo: Aikido of Greater Milwaukee/ Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
United_States
forgot most

I trained for about 6 months last year in Wisconsin and learned very little. They seemed to teach to much in too little time, being tossed around and confused on too many techniques in one night was'nt worth the money paid. I would like to find a dojo that takes time to teach the basics in a more timely manor that one can absorb and repeat them until you understand the why and what of that technique and the Japanese name for it and maybe some history too. Does anyone know of a Sensei and dojo in southeast Wisconsin that can give a hungry student this?
Old 03-17-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
Kenji_08
Dojo: Academy of Elite Martial Arts
United_States
Re: forgot most

I dont know any. However, you could use this sites dojo finder.

I hope this helps

Happy training
Old 03-19-2007, 12:16 PM   #3
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

I think 6 months was not enough time. You should have stayed to learn more. If you had any concerns like you are displaying now, did you inform this to the Sensei or any advanced student there? Any other dojo might be the same way.

Part of the problem with learning Aikido today is the students mentality. Aikido is a 50 - 50 thing. The Sensei can't teach you everything there is to learn about the techniques. The student has to learn part of it on their own, catch part of during practice, or ask very specific questions. There are 2,664 techniques to learn and not enough time for the Sensei to verbally explain every little nuance.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:31 PM   #4
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Aikido of Marshall has a 'barebones aikido basics ' class that runs on Saturdays from 10- noon. It's an option for you.

In gassho,

mark
Old 04-16-2007, 09:07 PM   #5
Marc Kupper
Dojo: Aikido of Diablo Valley / ASU
United_States

Quote:
Paul Winter wrote: View Post
I trained for about 6 months last year in Wisconsin and learned very little. They seemed to teach to much in too little time, being tossed around and confused on too many techniques in one night was'nt worth the money paid. I would like to find a dojo that takes time to teach the basics in a more timely manor that one can absorb and repeat them until you understand the why and what of that technique and the Japanese name for it and maybe some history too. Does anyone know of a Sensei and dojo in southeast Wisconsin that can give a hungry student this?
Something to try is to talk about your frustration with the sensei or one of the advance students. It's possible the structure of what an instructor is trying to show is not apparent enough. Usually an Aikido class is "about" something and will be practiced from several (possibly many) different aspects. That can be pretty confusing for a new person who naturally would have no clue as to how to recognize what the "something" being practiced is.

We tell newcomers to our dojo "Don't try to learn anything for the first six months" with this in mind. Hopefully you will continue with just practicing and will start seeing the patterns. Good luck.

Marc

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!