Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

aikido articles

dojo search
image gallery
links directory

book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

rss feeds

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-10-2002, 08:09 PM   #1
IP Hash: 2003d7c9
Anonymous User
Question Is there such a dojo...?

I have come to this forum searching for an answer that I hope at least one person here will be able to provide.

I would like to know if there is a Dojo anywhere in the U.S. to your knowledge, that, in exchange for work/chores/etc they would provide training (and/or room & board)?

This may seem like an odd question, I really don't know. All that I do know is that I am a truly dedicated person who is willing to push their body to the brink to become the person I know I can be.

Obviously I have a life now that I would be potentially leaving, but even though that's how some of you may see it - that's not how I see it at all. I look at it more as adding something TO my life - not taking anything away.

So if anyone knows of anything like this out there (even if it's not necessarily Aikido, and different sort of Dojo), I'd appreciate it if you could give me a few leads. I am ready to begin working towards improving myself, and to add to my life - but I can't do it without your help.

Thank you.

(If you'd rather not post here you can e-mail me at darkgremlin@aol.com)
Old 03-10-2002, 08:43 PM   #2
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
Re: Is there such a dojo...?

Originally posted by Unregistered
I would like to know if there is a Dojo anywhere in the U.S. to your knowledge, that, in exchange for work/chores/etc they would provide training (and/or room & board)?
It sounds like you're interested in a uchi deshi situation.

Most of them these days are a pay situation. You pay for tuition and/or room & board.

You could search through the dojo listings looking for dojo with uchi deshi programs and contact them about work-in-lieu-of-pay.

My own dojo has free tuition but no live-in facilities. You'd have training that would suit you, but would have to handle your own room & board. It's an inexpensive and relaxed place to live.

Best Regards,

Greg Jennings

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!