Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-05-2007, 07:50 AM   #851
DH
United_States
Re: Baseline skillset

Thanks Ron
Remember the dinner conversation about size? Where you were expecting someone bigger? For the record, did anything I did to you feel like muscle? When a few of your were trying more judo stye throws did you guys think I was moving you around by flexing? Or was it very clear that it is a "different sort of power?" That Kokyu dosa trick where I make you stand back up on your feet was that muscle? Mike and I get short shrift in that we are somewhat bigger so it must be muscle? As I said to you at dinner "Decades of sweat and training and this is what I get..."its muscle." I wish I were little sometimes. Just for a month... to prove a point. Seeing size makes folks not have confidance in thermselves. Thats not fair. If I teach folks to do this stuff, others can to. I want folks to feel good about them and believe in their chance to get it.
Cheers
Dan
Old 03-05-2007, 07:59 AM   #852
DH
United_States

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
Finally.... public recognition for being a horse's ass!
Mike
Hey......I'll agree to that.

No seriously. You can be difficult and exasperating but I think you had a plan afterall. As I said here It took you prodding me and pissing me off, and to be fair another personal friend with some good advice about helping researchers like myself that made me open up. I still won't be doing some "seminar" anytime soon or teaching.
But when I look at good men like Ron, Tim, both Marks and others, who have asked, Ron has asked me 3 or 4 times over the years-and turned them all away. This is better.
I have privately given the you and the other fellow credit, So here's a public one Mike.
Now if I can get you to be as nice here as I hear you are in person.....

Thanks
Dan

Last edited by DH : 03-05-2007 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:01 AM   #853
MM
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Thanks Ron
Remember the dinner conversation about size? Where you were expecting someone bigger? For the record, did anything I did to you feel like muscle? When a few of your were trying more judo stye throws did you guys think I was moving you around by flexing? Or was it very clear that it is a "different sort of power?" That Kokyu dosa trick where I make you stand back up on your feet was that muscle? Mike and I get short shrift in that we are somewhat bigger so it must be muscle? As I said to you at dinner "Decades of sweat and training and this is what I get..."its muscle." I wish I were little sometimes. Just for a month... to prove a point. Seeing size makes folks not have confidance in thermselves. Thats not fair. If I teach folks to do this stuff, others can to. I want folks to feel good about them and believe in their chance to get it.
Cheers
Dan
Hi Dan,

Not to steal Ron's answer, but I'd like to post my input on this area.

Definitely not muscle. I never felt that at all. In fact, it might have been helpful to feel muscle since what was there is really hard to describe. If it was muscle, I'd have a much easier time explaining things. But that wasn't the case with you, Mike, or Rob.

I try to wrap my head around what it feels like and then describe it, but I don't come close. The one thing that I think about is the quote from Kano* about units of strength. When I push using all my 10 units of strength, it feels like you/Mike/Rob have somehow turned my 10 units into zero. I neither feel units of strength coming back at me, nor do I feel my units of strength going anywhere. As Kano suggested, if it were muscle, then there would definitely be some action/movement somewhere because each person's unit of strength is different.

IMO anyway,
Mark

* Find Kano's quote here:
http://www.judoinfo.com/kano2.htm
Gives a whole new realm of thought to what he was talking about, but that's material for another thread.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:22 AM   #854
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Hey......I'll agree to that.

No seriously. You can be difficult and exasperating but I think you had a plan afterall. As I said here It took you prodding me and pissing me off, and to be fair another personal friend with some good advice about helping researchers like myself that made me open up. I still won't be doing some "seminar" anytime soon or teaching.
But when I look at good men like Ron, Tim, both Marks and others, who have asked, Ron has asked me 3 or 4 times over the years-and turned them all away. This is better.
I have privately given the you and the other fellow credit, So here's a public one Mike.
Now if I can get you to be as nice here as I hear you are in person.....
I'm so confused and I just don't know who to believe! Just the other day someone told me that they liked the way I was nice to the nice people and blunt to the not-so-nice people. Maybe it depends on their own personality, how we get along, to some degree.... not just mine? I am notorious for screwing with people who cross certain lines of behavior, Dan... and guess what? Those people never come to a workshop. Get it? Nod Nod.

Er.... back to the issues, I think.

Mike
Old 03-05-2007, 08:24 AM   #855
mjchip
Dojo: Aikido Jinsei Dojo

Quote:
Thanks Ron
Remember the dinner conversation about size?
Dang it(or dong it), I missed dinner?

Quote:
For the record, did anything I did to you feel like muscle? When a few of your were trying more judo stye throws did you guys think I was moving you around by flexing?
Nope. I laughed internally when you said that you were 220lbs. because you felt like 350 easy. I've manhandled some well-muscled two hundred+ pounders (you know how small I am) and there is no chance I could do that with you. The neat thing is that there was no apparent perceptible action/reaction stuff going on. When I pushed you, on the outside you felt compressible, but on the inside it was solid.....or should I say stable or grounded or something (immovable). Again, I suck with the words thing......

Cheers,

Mark

P.S. These exercises are killing me.....LOL
Old 03-05-2007, 08:40 AM   #856
DH
United_States

Yeah but forget me.
You guys are the real show stoppers. YOu go home trying to digest and absorb all this new information and way of thinking about Budo.
We openly talk you up. Did you feel him change did you see her bounce him. This is old news to us. Seeing the joy on your faces is the show.

Lets talk about how YOU felt Mark C.
I remember you falling apart the first day. I seem to remember you feeling solid then freely moving your hips? Then.. I remember you lifting me off the ground sidways from your hurt shoulder?
Now add everyone else who was coming along nicely.I still rmemeber the look on Ron's face when he was doing stuff. That internal questioning "Did I just do that?" Priceless......
In the moving through force exercise I remember seeing a certain 310 pound grappler being lifted off the ground easily and repeatedly by Murray.
I'm not important..we're not important...the work is, and the fact that you guys were doing it....... while moving.

Mark M.
ooohh
I gave a little talk about that "units equal ten that makes zero." and how it makes center-on-touch a reality. A grappling and judo "dilema." I never talk about on the net because until you feel it it makes no sense. Even though you guys liked seeing it with the moving grappling/judo demonstation you actually were doing the first steps already. The little exercise where they pull (in agreement) a pusher's force into themselves so each pusher could feel a negative hole then how to use their spine to expand and suddenly their big and resistive but then have them hoola hoop their hips with all this force on them. Its silly, but it is the first step in understanding your structure can support load while you are uninvolved and free to move. Like most things the secrets are also in the baby steps. There are profoud martial applications in many of these little drills. Ya just need to step one then the other and it becomes clearer as you build. I do things so that without any external movement they and their partner make an internal change of force just using their mind and body in new ways. I think everyone walked away saying "I did it."

Cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 03-05-2007 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:44 AM   #857
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Mark C., it was great meeting you, and I'm sorry you missed dinner! I'm buying you at least a beer, and hopefully food too the next time we're up.

The folks that think this is just muscle are going to be in for a surprise...that's all I can say...

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 03-05-2007, 10:45 AM   #858
M. McPherson
United_States

I don't have too much to add about the thread topic, per se, but if it's not stepping out of bounds, I would like to add my two cents about something.
First, an immeasurable amount of time and energy is being given freely by Dan, of course, but also by his students, as well. Dan has written extensively here about the fact that he doesn't want it to be about him; we're all just links in a chain. The responsibility is to make sure that the chain maintains structural (sorry for the pun) integrity. His students are exemplar of this philosophy, and were the only reason that anyone who worked with them was able to move anyone. Good instruction, period. It really isn't about him, and it really isn't about them. But at the same time, it is. Nobody is selling videotapes here, and no t-shirts or keychains are being manufactured to help finance that shiny new dojo or kamiza. Filthy lucre is no part of this, either. Just a lot of hard, oft-times painful work going on. And selflessness. That has to be mentioned, and respected.
Second, and the real reason I wanted to write this, is the fact that it was his students who were getting us to do this and that, as well as Dan. Yes, of course Dan was there teaching, and getting hands on - literally - but his crew took turns with each and every person there for lengthy periods of time, and gave of themselves quite openly. (Again, no accolades, no scrolls, no acclaim.) What this demonstrates to me is the fact that, because his students were so effective in imparting this work to us (the well-intentioned, but painfully oblivious), it proves that it is all replicable. No, it is not easy, and nobody was moving 310lbs grapplers when said grapplers didn't want to be moved. But everyone there learning was able to demonstrate the effects of sound structure and power transfer because of a systematic method of instruction. Did I fly up the staircase in a blur of motion to evade my attackers? Dan says that's lesson number 43, but no. (Ron did, if I'm not mistaken...or maybe he just really had to go use the can). We all did, however do things - minor things - that were jaw-dropping to us, and things that most of us have not felt from the majority of ten or even fifteen year students in other arts. Okay, I'm being diplomatic: feel free to read that as twenty or thirty year students. Take from that what you will.
But there should be no misunderstanding that any of these skills are flukes of genius, or inaccessible to mere mortals. They're real, they're replicable, and they're hard, hard work.
[I'm going to qualify this yet again: *none* of us there were able to do what Dan or his students can do in a practical, workable manner. If you have to crawl before you can walk, then all of us there were able to wiggle our toes by the end of the day. Maybe flex an ankle once or twice. But we felt what could be done, and were shown the building blocks. And, again, what little we could do was lightyears ahead of what most of could do prior to walking in the door.]

Sincerely,
Murray McPherson

Last edited by M. McPherson : 03-05-2007 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:46 AM   #859
gdandscompserv

United_States

If I do the ki exercises as demonstrated here:
http://www.bodymindandmodem.com/KiEx/KiEx.html
will that develop the internal strength you guys are talking about?
Old 03-05-2007, 10:50 AM   #860
Ron Tisdale
United_States

I don't know Ricky...why don't you do them, then find someone who understands what we are talking about, and then push on him, and see if you think it helps.

I should add...unless someone who knows what they are doing shows you HOW to do them...I'm not betting on them helping more than a little.

Best,
Ron

Last edited by Ron Tisdale : 03-05-2007 at 10:55 AM.

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 03-05-2007, 11:00 AM   #861
gdandscompserv

United_States

Okay Ron, fair enough.
Would you be so kind as to share with me the exercises you do to develop the internal skills?
Old 03-05-2007, 11:04 AM   #862
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Dan,

The issue that I have is not so much with your skills, it is your attitude towards alot of this. I come on here and say, "sounds good, can't wait in a very sincere way".

Open myself up to a few things that I am working on, you jump on it, and then we start in on the whole ego trip, which I suppose in retrospect that I am a part of.

Ego on:

Don't mistake me for who and what I train for, and why. I am not some aiki-fruity type that is caught up only in the philosophical, intellectual pursuit of budo. I resent some of the implications that you make and frankly see them as an outright challenge. I train hard, and I train for real. I train for many weapons ranges, and I train in many ways that civilians simply do not have the ability to train in. I train in methodogies that are proven to work, and I train ALIVE. So yes, I think I DO understand a slight bit about martial training, the dynamic of fighting ranges, and what it takes to do this....just a LITTLE.

Ego off.

I have never said that what you do is irrelevant, nor dismissed you as a martial artist. I do hope that I can experience what you have to offer.

I don't dismiss what you say with bored yawns in text, or dimiss you with flippant remarks and nonchalant demeanor. I have a little more respect for myself and for you.

I hope that if we do meet that you would do the same.

I am happy that everyone here is open with what you have to teach, one thing you do seem to be lacking is in the area of humility and respect, things which are a part of the totality of budo...things that in reality WILL get you killed in combat or in real life. Something that I DO know about.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:05 AM   #863
MM
United_States

Quote:
Ricky Wood wrote: View Post
Okay Ron, fair enough.
Would you be so kind as to share with me the exercises you do to develop the internal skills?
Doesn't work that way. If it did, don't you think a whole lot of people would be getting this stuff from Tohei's exercises? Shioda's exercises? Etc. etc. etc.

Reading about it won't get you there. If it did, then you'd be on your way with these past 35 pages of postings.

but, if you really want to try, then search for Rob John's posts here on AikiWeb. I think he posted some of his exercises.

Mark
Old 03-05-2007, 11:21 AM   #864
Robert Rumpf
Dojo: Academy of Zen and the Ways
United_States

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Doesn't work that way. If it did, don't you think a whole lot of people would be getting this stuff from Tohei's exercises? Shioda's exercises? Etc. etc. etc.
Have you tried this route? If not, then how do you know it doesn't work? If so, please elaborate.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 03-05-2007, 11:33 AM   #865
Tom H.
United_States

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
but, if you really want to try, then search for Rob John's posts here on AikiWeb. I think he posted some of his exercises.
There's even video on the open internet of shiko, tenchijin, and ashiage, but until you know what to train and how to train it, you will likely be doing everything externally, even ki exercises, yoga, or taiji silk-reeling.

The good news is that once start going internal, just about everything you do can go with it: walking, climbing stairs, jumping jacks, and yes, even ki exercises. In fact, if it doesn't, you aren't re-wiring your body properly. At least that's been the case with me.

Shiko = glorified jumping jacks?

Q: "Tom, what's that stuff you do?"
A: "I use jumping jacks to train Ultimate Martial Power. Stand Back."
Old 03-05-2007, 11:35 AM   #866
DH
United_States

Kevin
I've not shown you any disrespect. I have applauded your efforts on grappling and in many posts here-go find them-said we share many experiences of good grapplers. Rob stated my feelings toward you well when he wrote "You're his kind of guy. And that he would like to show this stuff to just your kind of mindset."

Consider for a moment that your confusing the topic with the person and you're upset that I said "You don't get what I'm talking about." with this stuff and that it is not openly taught in Aikido or even seen in a lot of it.
That may seem disrespectful on the surface because those who don't move this way or know this stuff find it hard to believe that someone can "see its lack" just in watching you move. Or that a line of argument on the net "reveals" a lack of understanding of it.

From me to you in all seriousness...I have nothing BUT respect for both the way you comport yourself here and for the fact that you grapple. Add to that you're a Military guy...all that puts you over the top in my book.
Please consider that we are dissagreeing over a topic, and that only.
And before someone breaks out a harp.....I disagree that you understand much of what I have been writing about. If you did you woudn't say the tings you say. How do I put this...you'd think different.
As for lack of respect and getting killed-well i think thats a but much
I know some real serious folks both bangers and traditional Budo and I get along just swell.
Cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 03-05-2007 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:41 AM   #867
MM
United_States

Quote:
Robert Rumpf wrote: View Post
Have you tried this route? If not, then how do you know it doesn't work? If so, please elaborate.

Thanks,
Rob
Hi Rob,

I remember you coming in to the dojo for the Sigman/Rob thing, but I never got a chance to introduce myself. Maybe next time.

Well, I've tried Tohei's exercises and Shioda's exercises and neither got me to the exercises that work on baseline skills.

Course, if they would have been explained differently and shown differently, maybe ... but that'd be another story. Or maybe if I had 20-30 years of development? Who knows. But, I do know that the way I've been shown how to do those exercises is definitely not the same as working on the baseline skill exercises.

What I got from working on hiriki no yosei, funakogi undo, etc, was a very different feel from working on shiko, etc. Course, now that I am working on the baseline exercises, I can see how they would shift over to doing funakogi undo, hiriki no yosei, etc. But I can't see someone doing those exercises without being shown where they're supposed to be going with them. And that takes a hands on approach.

Does that clarify?

Mark
Old 03-05-2007, 11:46 AM   #868
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Hi Ricky,
What part of me not having a clue is so hard to understand??? If I had a clue, I wouldn't have been so helpless in Dan's hands. You want to learn? Make a RELATIONSHIP with someone who knows how to do this. Get your info from THEM. Train hard by YOURSELF. No ill will here...I'm just tellin' you straight.

Hi Rob,
If the video route worked, would I, Mark, Murray and anyone else I know of who is now speaking of the value of these skills be so clueless? Do you really think I haven't looked at video?? Looked at what Ark has out there? Looked to my teachers?? Jesus...how many times do we have to stress...you need hands on guidance to learn this stuff?

Hi Kevin,

Hi Kevin...you don't understand what Dan is saying, or why. I have felt people across the US, in France, people in the military, people in Africa, people who are high ranked in different arts, people who train competitively (I used to wrestle div. 3 in college myself). I have felt your teacher in aikido (if I understand correctly who it is you trained with most). Dan is just speaking the truth. He is not belittling you or anyone else. What "attitude" you think Dan has is well deserved, in my opinion.

Let me try to be blunt again...I am not a shrinking violet. Ask Jim, he has felt me several times, in various stages of health.

I could do NOTHING with Dan in either cooperative or non-cooperative training environments. Not many (or maybe even any) of the people I'm used to feeling would be able to either.

My suggestion? Close the thread, go out and feel it, get someone who does it that is williing to show you HOW to train it.

To All,

I don't know how else to communicate this. So I'm probably not going to post in these types of threads for a while. Because I don't have anything else to add. It's a new beginning, I'm a white belt again, I can't do anything except to say go feel it for yourself, and make up your own minds.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 03-05-2007, 11:53 AM   #869
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Robert Rumpf wrote: View Post
Quote:
Mark Murray wrote:

Thanks,
Rob
Let me offer an opinion on the Ki Society approach, since I've seen a limited amount of it over the years. Generally speaking, I think the Ki-Society approach is correct for Aikidoists, but I think the amount of material has been curtailed and I think a little too much "philosophy" is inserted, which tends to emasculate the drive for full potential.

One of these days, I'd like to meet with a group of more advanced Ki-Society people that have fairly good quality (like the Lawrence, Kansas group I recently encountered) and see what I could add to their present practice. I'd have to ask them to change their paradigm to accomodate my perspectives (they can rationalize it back later into the "Ki of the Universe" stuff later, it it feels better).

But the point is that I think these people could grasp some of the high-end stuff very quickly (some of it admittedly would take conditioning, so not everything would be instantaneous). The reason I think they could do high very fast is because the Ki-Society approach is NOT that bad... just a little limited, in my limited view of their approach.

Another point to remember is that there are a number of approaches to these kinds of skills. Some approaches are varying mixtures of ki, strength, and structure, and hara, and a few other things. I.e., there are permutations to the way someone can approach these skills. My personal feeling is that an Aikidoist should get his foot in the door some way (perhaps Dan, perhaps Akuzawa, perhaps Ushiro, whatever), but then try to re-create the way O-Sensei used these skills. Tohei's approach was similar to Ueshiba's but apparently not quite the same. Abe Sensei publicly states that he learned his ki skills from someone else. And so on, but the idea is that they learned somewhere else but then tried to use what they'd learned to generally emulate O-Sensei's usages of these skills.... they didn't try to make Aikido into a "hard" art. So I think people need to watch that aspect closely.

FWIW

Mike
Old 03-05-2007, 11:55 AM   #870
MM
United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
To All,

I don't know how else to communicate this. So I'm probably not going to post in these types of threads for a while. Because I don't have anything else to add. It's a new beginning, I'm a white belt again, I can't do anything except to say go feel it for yourself, and make up your own minds.

Best,
Ron
Ron,

I don't have the words. If you look at the others, I don't think they do either. We muddle the best we can, neh?

But, I think there is great gain by muddling through. I do think there is good reason to keep posting, even if words fail most of the time. Especially for you. You have a presence on the web and are very respected. Your voice adds a lot of credence to those silent lurkers who either don't understand or are not sure what to believe.

Definitely with you there on the white belt thing. Big time. But besides being a lot of hard work, it's going to be a lot of fun, too.

Mark
Old 03-05-2007, 12:00 PM   #871
Mike Sigman
United_States

Oops.... addendum to my last post. I think the Ki-Society people can learn this stuff by far faster than anyone else because they haven't (as a group... of course this doesn't apply to them all)learned so many bad habits that will be almost impossible to overcome, for many people.

Mike
Old 03-05-2007, 12:06 PM   #872
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
Hi Ricky,
What part of me not having a clue is so hard to understand??? If I had a clue, I wouldn't have been so helpless in Dan's hands. You want to learn? Make a RELATIONSHIP with someone who knows how to do this. Get your info from THEM. Train hard by YOURSELF. No ill will here...I'm just tellin' you straight.
Thanks Ron. No ill will taken. I, like you, have an empty cup.
I will be attending Aikido-Ai's annual Memorial Weekend Retreat at Mt. Baldy and it looks like Teja Bell sensei has a very extensive background in what you folks are talking about.

But perhaps now you sense MY frustration in following this thread. ALOT of words but nothing I can really apply in my own training. I do not doubt for a minute that Mike, Dan, Rob or others have these internal skills...it's just that they're not helping me to understand or acquire them. Just telling me how inadequate I am isn't very helpful.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:11 PM   #873
M. McPherson
United_States

Quote:
Tom Holz wrote: View Post
"I use jumping jacks to train Ultimate Martial Power. Stand Back."
Tom, that was perfect.

I take it back - Dan should have t-shirts made up.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #874
Robert Rumpf
Dojo: Academy of Zen and the Ways
United_States

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
Let me offer an opinion on the Ki Society approach, since I've seen a limited amount of it over the years. Generally speaking, I think the Ki-Society approach is correct for Aikidoists, but I think the amount of material has been curtailed and I think a little too much "philosophy" is inserted, which tends to emasculate the drive for full potential.

One of these days, I'd like to meet with a group of more advanced Ki-Society people that have fairly good quality (like the Lawrence, Kansas group I recently encountered) and see what I could add to their present practice. I'd have to ask them to change their paradigm to accommodate my perspectives (they can rationalize it back later into the "Ki of the Universe" stuff later, it it feels better).

But the point is that I think these people could grasp some of the high-end stuff very quickly (some of it admittedly would take conditioning, so not everything would be instantaneous). The reason I think they could do high very fast is because the Ki-Society approach is NOT that bad... just a little limited, in my limited view of their approach.

Another point to remember is that there are a number of approaches to these kinds of skills. Some approaches are varying mixtures of ki, strength, and structure, and hara, and a few other things. I.e., there are permutations to the way someone can approach these skills. My personal feeling is that an Aikidoist should get his foot in the door some way (perhaps Dan, perhaps Akuzawa, perhaps Ushiro, whatever), but then try to re-create the way O-Sensei used these skills. Tohei's approach was similar to Ueshiba's but apparently not quite the same. Abe Sensei publicly states that he learned his ki skills from someone else. And so on, but the idea is that they learned somewhere else but then tried to use what they'd learned to generally emulate O-Sensei's usages of these skills.... they didn't try to make Aikido into a "hard" art. So I think people need to watch that aspect closely.

Oops.... addendum to my last post. I think the Ki-Society people can learn this stuff by far faster than anyone else because they haven't (as a group... of course this doesn't apply to them all)learned so many bad habits that will be almost impossible to overcome, for many people.
This makes a lot of sense. I think that part of the problem with exercise-based training is that there can be a tendency to lose the content and keep the form. Perhaps that is what has happened in Aikido waza, as well, to a large extent.

There is little value in blind mimicry, and it is hard for anyone to learn without a decent example.

Rob

Last edited by Robert Rumpf : 03-05-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #875
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Ricky Wood wrote: View Post
Just telling me how inadequate I am isn't very helpful.
Hey.... it's start. It's something you didn't know, isn't it?

Ricky, it's been said time and time again that you simply have to be shown. Now let me caveat that about Dan, Ushiro, Akuzawa, Tohei, and others.... these skills come in surprisingly different flavors, even though the underlying principles are the same if you look closely enough. Go see and feel for yourself... until then, it's a waste of time trying to describe *how* to do these things. But try to get a feel, also as soon as possible, of what a high-level Aikidoist with Ki skills feels like. Say, Sunadomari or Inaba... someone like that. It's important that Aikido people don't start to go the too-hard route or one that uses a lot of shoulders, or etc.

Regards,

Mike Sigman

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!