Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-12-2007, 07:05 PM   #26
aikidjoe
Dojo: Tenzan Aikido / Boulder Aikikai
United_States
Re: What has aikido caused you to do?

It's hard for me to say how Aikido has changed me. I have been training since I was a small child (7 yrs, am now 21) and it has always been a constant force on my life. I can say Aikido teachers have have caused me to reflect on myself and to instigate change in that way. I recall just last summer Bookman Sensei tearing every inch of pride I had attained for my aikido over the last year of training (tangent alert: while I grew up in Seattle and so trained under Bookman Sensei for a number of years, I go to school at the Univ. of Colo, Boulder now and so train with Ikeda Sensei and Hofmeister Sensei while in school. Thus, I have mainly trained with Bookman Sensei during the summer the last 4 years, though I still consider him my teacher in more ways than one), causing me to reflect on myself and in turn bettering my humanity and aikido as a whole. I think it is less the Aikido and more the teacher whom is directing you that has a greater influence on changes within you.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:42 PM   #27
Gernot Hassenpflug
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Japan

Quote:
Tim Fong wrote:
Gernot,
You are describing what intelligence analysts do with "open sources" , i.e. non classified material. If they can assemble enough pieces of non-classified info (from various sources) they can infer the classified/non released information.

To paraphrase Gibson, the information is there, it's just not widely distributed yet.
I think it's the only way to go. In the West perhaps the idea of looking for 10 years for a good teacher is not so relevant, since teachers teach. A sensei is not expected to and does not do so. The whole idea of a student doing this is part of the education that a sensei *expects*. To not do so and remain in the fold is kind of like failing a basic 2-digit IQ test. This is not the same as recognizing quality and the real deal (e.g., "basic" exercises) and sticking with them while others go to look for more esoteric things.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:04 PM   #28
DonMagee
United_States

Aikido gave me a great gift. It got me interested in judo, this lead me to bjj and MMA. I can't thank my instructor enough for showing me something I love.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 02-12-2007, 08:21 PM   #29
Jill N
Dojo: K-W Ki Aikido (Kitchener, Ont)
Canada

I travel a lot more than I used to.
e ya later
Jill
Old 02-13-2007, 12:15 AM   #30
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Kevin Smith wrote:
Interesting this is one more thing I heard that says Chiba sensei isn't all he's cracked up to be. Maybe one day I'll visit his school and see if these rumors are true.

You are so sadly mistaken.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:43 AM   #31
Gernot Hassenpflug
Japan

I've heard scary things about Chiba sensei too, things that many here would say are evil. OK. I also had the chance to train with some of his students, who were very good. But, that's all relative to what I knew then and I guess to what aikido in the West knew then. I have no doubt that Chiba sensei trains hard, as do many aikido dojos. Nobody is disputing that. There are also people Chiba sensei is afraid of, funny as that may sound to those who've trained with him. Nobody knows it all. I've also heard that the only person who can do Chiba sensei's aikido is... Chiba sensei. He doesn't have any deshi who can do aikido the way he does. Doesn't that ring a bell for some people?
Old 02-13-2007, 03:49 AM   #32
DH
United_States

Quote:
Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
I've heard scary things about Chiba sensei too, things that many here would say are evil.
I didn't have to hear it. I've seen it. Student abuse is what it is. And in a mild, cooperative art, like Aikido- its particularly ugly. Making students edgy due to your unpredictable behavious is best done in a fighting non-cooperative format. One where you give as you get, with feints and change-ups. Not with them offering some stupid big shomen. I'd have paid good money to see that little twerp try any of his shannanigans on half a dozen guys I knew then. He'd be in the dumpster out back.
I like the story on the Dobson Arikawa thread of that Danish guy who was, (on-the-mat) the frequent Uke at the Aikikai. And who also, (off the mat) hung abusive Aikikai men out the window, till they straightened out. Some younger men have a false perception of the abilities of a teacher and even when witnessing abusive behaviour can't clearly recognize it for what it is. Ya can't pull that crap in a fight club. Its a fundementaly more honest exchange.
Quote:
Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
I've also heard that the only person who can do Chiba sensei's aikido is... Chiba sensei. He doesn't have any deshi who can do aikido the way he does.
Trust me, thats a good thing......
Dan

Last edited by DH : 02-13-2007 at 03:57 AM.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:52 AM   #33
Gernot Hassenpflug
Japan

Agreed. It's strange how back then we all thought that was the way the good stuff worked. And that, if we trained the way we thought we should, we would get there some day too :-)
Old 02-26-2007, 05:36 PM   #34
skinnymonkey
Dojo: Black Walnut Aikido - Ashland, OH
United_States

Caused me to start my own podcast!

http://www.usaikido.com/

Jeff D.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!