Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-21-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
garry cantrell
United_States
Exclusivity

I was scrolling through youtube the other day and noticed quite a few "how to" martial arts clips. Well, OK, that's enjoyable and several of the techniques were interesting. Then I read some of the "comments" and became quite disturbed. A number of the comments seemed particularly angry, confrontational, unbalanced, etc..... and just downright mean and nasty. I found myself thinking I was glad those folks weren't in my dojo - because it'd be a pain to deal with them AND because I didn't think it'd be a good idea for them to have substantial MA skills coupled with the attitude represented online........but then it occurred to me that, um, er, youtube was presenting a wealth of MA information to anyone who can find them on the net. There's no gatekeeper. There's no sensei to say "let's work on that anger management issue first." Is that a good idea? Certainly watching a technique is very different from being taught the technique - but, you get my drift.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Exclusivity

youtube I think is a good thing mostly IRT martial arts. It opens up information allowing us to see things that we may never have been exposed to before.

Of course, you must use that information correctly. It is too easy to become a arm chair quarterback and criticize.

Overall though I think it to be a good thing.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:47 PM   #3
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post

Overall though I think it to be a good thing.
Me too, I've gained alot from seeing so much variety, and my assessment of my own position in relation to all that I see is more informed.

I don't bother with reading the comments though.

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:01 PM   #4
Roman Kremianski
Dojo: Toronto Aikikai
Canada

This is the internet...the motherland of all shit talk. I'd say ignore the comment section.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:20 PM   #5
DonMagee
United_States

In the begining, a lot of people who start to study martial arts do it because they want to be bad boys, or have some kind of super secret power, or belong to some exclusive group, or inflate their ego. People who gain any real skill however tend to put that all aside and in fact hardly ever talk trash or boast about their abilities. Of course there are exceptions, but the top bjj, judo, karate, aikido, etc guys I know do not talk smack, and they are beyond picking fights.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 02-21-2007, 06:42 PM   #6
crbateman
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

I agree with Don. Martial arts are going to naturally attract the muscleheads and badass wannabes on the surface. But the self-control, discipline and commitment that one must develop and devote to train deeply, and for any extended time, does not lend itself to the sort violent, confrontational or belligerant attitudes that often display in the typical Internet comment forum.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:58 PM   #7
DaveS
United Kingdom

I think XKCD sums up most Youtube 'discussions' pretty well...
Old 02-22-2007, 01:47 AM   #8
Kevin Wilbanks

Garry,

It seems like the gist of your concern is that jerks will be able to learn something dangerous through watching YouTube that they would have been prevented from learning by responsible people if they had to go seek it out in person. I doubt there is any cause for concern.

It might give 'Jackass' types some ideas about how to hurt themselves and their foolish buddies, but I'm sure they could manage such self-destruction without any help. People have been jumping off cliffs and getting eaten by tigers and so forth for as long as there have been people.

As far as making them a danger to society, I don't think it is possible to learn any martial arts skills whatsoever from simply looking at video clips - certainly nothing that would make one any more dangerous than one already was before looking at the videos.
Besides, aren't you from Texas? In a place so awash in firearms as your area of the country, the idea of a 'dangerous' martial artist is kind of a joke.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:22 PM   #9
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

No body has to teach you how to pick some thing up and smack the junk out of somebody with it. That's a lot more dangerous than most martial arts techniques .
Old 02-24-2007, 12:29 PM   #10
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Yes that is a good point Lyle! I have been practicing martial arts for like 15 years now, and still struggle sometimes to figure out how to do this stuff for real.

I would not be concerned with Youtube in this respect.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:16 PM   #11
garry cantrell
United_States

Kevin,

LOL! You've got me there! Ha! Yep. Lots of guns. You can take classes and get a concealed handgun permit (and the test ain't that hard) - so you can carry a concealed handgun most places. This law was instituted when George W. was governor and was one of the important planks of his campaign. He basically said that law abiding citizens should be able to carry handguns and same did not present a danger to other law abiding citizens. Oddly, the secret service doesn't agree and they get downright tense about folks carrying handguns when they go to hear him speak here in Texas. There have always been exceptions (such as the traveler's exception, etc) that allow you to carry a handgun under certain circumstances - and, frankly, lots of folks did anyway, with or without a legal exception. You can pretty much carry a shotgun anywhere. I could walk down Main St. In Dallas with a shotgun over my shoulder and it'd be perfectly legal. Not wise, but legal.

Back to the issue. Doesn't it seem that certain techniques have entered the vernacular because of television, Youtube, etc? WhenI was a kid, no one would dream of throwing a kick during a fight. Simply not done. The the TV series "Kung Fu" started airing (man, I loved that show) and then, all of a sudden, all the 8th grade ruffians started instituting kicks - not well, mind you, but it was an extra appendage that you didn't used to have to worry about. Now it seems that arm bars and the guard have entered the vernacular. Am I wrong on that? Might just be another case of my selective memory kicking in, I suppose.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:26 PM   #12
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Not sure about arm bars...but the guard has always been around. It is simply a intuitive position that everyone figures out in the heat of their first fight...just like the mount. Remember having your buddy in elementary school mount you then drool the long spit string in your face and suck it back up?

I watch the street fights from time to time and you see that people intuitively do the basic. Kick, hit, clinch, takedown, guard, mount, rear mount, choke etc.

It is learning to react and respond appropriate and do these things with skill that is important.

I think Youtube has definitely brought it more to our attention. Back in the day, I could go years without seeing some of the stuff I can now see hourly on youtube.

I think we simply have more exposure to what has always gone on. T

hat said, yes, we probaby are seeing more skill in fights in general as people share knowledge of things that we now know more about.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!