Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-22-2007, 03:30 PM   #51
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: How would aikido fare in an actual fight?

Quote:
They would have liked to hear that Aikido would make them invincible, but they wouldn't have believed it in any case
If they had any sense!

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 02-22-2007, 03:31 PM   #52
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
As far as attachment on technique goes. Yes philosophically I agree.

In reality though, there are some high percentage things we should have in our "go to" game that work most of the time.
I actually don't think these things are in conflict. Of course you will have a toolkit of favorite or "go to" techniques. Attachment starts when you will stick to those even when they clearly are the wrong thing for the situation.

A sort of ridiculously extreme example is the gun at 20 feet scenario. If you *really* believe you're going to disarm that guy, you're going to die. Better to find another tactic (like covering and running, maybe).

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
This is a tricky area for sure, as you always want to allow the situation to develop based on the principles. i.e. if you are trying to beat a round peg into a squarehole by forcing something that is not apppropriate for the conditions presented...well you will lose...so attachment in this sense is bad.
My contention is that attachment will inevitably lead you to beating the round peg into the square hole.

But, as you say, this is a tricky part of training. To do it effectively (at least for kata training) you need a co-operative partner even though what you are training for is an inherently non-cooperative situation. The contradiction is not lost on me and I'm still working out the best ways to deal with this (for me).

Old 02-22-2007, 03:36 PM   #53
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
If they had any sense!
Well, as a rule, the ones without such sense dropped out of the class pretty quickly. Sometimes right after I'd accepted their challenge and flattened them.

Gotta remember: when faced with a power struggle, redirect, don't win.

Somehow not that easy when they're taking a swing at you.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:10 PM   #54
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States

You raise a good point, and one I'll honestly admit I wasn't considering when we were initially talking about sparring and winning or losing.

Sometimes folks have to feel like they're getting the better of you -- even in non-competitive settings. Though I'm not sure if you meant it this way, I think I would disagree with you that sparring is necessarily about winning or losing and would apply the same mentality you spoke of regarding jiyu waza to that paradigm as well.

In general, and I think the thread is headed this way, my feeling is that it's good to balance appropriate mindset with the proper physical conditioning (and where the 'baseline skills' as mentioned in other threads fits in to this is something I'll admit to being very interested in exploring).

Taikyoku Mind & Body
http://taikyokumindandbody.com
Old 02-23-2007, 08:32 AM   #55
Cyrijl

Ron,
My point is that the stories are written as if they are universal. And they are not.

melior est canis vivus leone mortuo
Bog svsami!!!
Old 02-23-2007, 08:55 AM   #56
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Well of course not! case by case, as always...

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 02-23-2007, 09:11 AM   #57
Armin Quast

Dojo: none (at the moment)
Germany

Refering to the answer given to my last post in this thread: If you count the so called "laws" you're right. Nevertheless, somone else said that he'd rather refer to the principles taught than to the techniques in a real street fighting situation and I must say: Yes, that's really true.
All together that would lead us to the following situation:
You could be attacked by let's say ten opponents. If they are proud of their laws or let's call it their own "codex" - whatever it might look like, because they aren't all the same - and you use what you've been training for at least several years to fight back - then you can win or at least survive such a fight without any bad injuries.
Unless the are being unfair and use weapons like shotguns or something like that or even just attack nearly all at the same time with deadly weapons: this would be the worst case scenario and then you could be happy only to have survived - if you then do so.

Last edited by Armin Quast : 02-23-2007 at 09:14 AM.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!