Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-25-2006, 01:57 PM   #26
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Re: Doubts about instructor's abilities

Quote:
About the 5th dan thing, who or where else can he get a high rank for it is his style/interpretation? At least it wasn't 10th dan, give him some credit for that. I already have a name for my style, name for my dojo, name for teaching acronyms and so forth if I ever open one. What are guys like me supposed to do if we ever completely deviate from the style that we originally learnt?
Yeah, I give him some credit for making himself only 5th dan instead of 10th-but how long before that happens? Bogus rank is still bogus rank. I'm sorry, and I'm sure there are exceptions, but a 1st dan is not a 5th dan skill or knowledge wise in most cases. In fact, I would think that the gap is huge. Someone, if legitimately promoted, at the 5th dan level is starting to move into the master level of quality/knowledge. Promoting yourself also is not the same as "earning" rank through testing or even being awarded rank by a committee or master instructor at a much higher level. I know some organizations don't test at all levels but the aikikai tests through 4th dan and recommends at 5th and above. If you break free, I don't know where you get your rank! They can get one of the soke dokey organizations with non-aikido people to promote them. It may be worth something to them but the legitimate aikido people just shake their head and laugh.

That's off topic by the way. I refer you to the fraud discussion I started some time ago. We banged away at this issue in depth.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:23 AM   #27
Rocky Izumi
Dojo: GUST Aikido Club
Kuwait

Every time I think I know something, I find I am only scratching the surface. Every time I think that I might have figured out something that other people at my rank or higher may not have figured out or think that my techniques have gotten better than their's I remind myself how stupid I am and hope that I haven't made a fool of myself in front of everyone. Every time I listen to someone who tells me something about someone else, I ignore it and put it in my long term storage banks until I meet the person who is being discussed and I can collect my own intel. Everytime someone tells me that something is so, I go and research it myself to confirm their statements. Every time I think someone is an idiot, I try and figure out if that is so, why have they gotten so far. Or, at least I try and do all these things so that I don't look so stupid when I open my yap.

Just because some technique looks like it has a lot of openings because of large movements, it is not necessarily so. Just because something looks more practical than some other technique it is not necessarily so. If your Sensei has gotten to be a Sensei with some following, there must be a reason for that to have happened. You can learn from that, even though it may not be a recognisable technique practiced in Aikido. However, lack of respect for a teacher is a killer of learning. You might have been able to learn more from your teacher if you still respected him/her but since you no longer do, it is your problem and you will have to deal with it. Just don't go blaming the Sensei, no matter how bad that person is since you obviously once respected that person. You were the one who changed, not your instructor, so you have to be the one to deal with it. Such changes are not bad. People do outgrow their instructors and have to move on. Just make sure you know why you are moving on and don't blame the instructor. Since the Sensei still has a following of such, that person must be of benefit to some. Just go thank the instructor for getting you started on the path that led to your leaving and move on. Don't get caught in the cycle of blame and regret. Just be happy that you have progressed enough to move on.

As an aside, I am more thankful to those poor businesspersons and educators and instructors who taught me what not to do by their bad examples and the consequences they faced than I am to those who tried to teach me what was correct or better. It saves me from doing the same thing and facing the same consequences.

Rock

Last edited by Rocky Izumi : 08-03-2006 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:14 AM   #28
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

I'd really like to add something here that blew my thought to kingdom come a few years ago: Hikitsutchi Shihan, some time before his passing, said in an interview: "When you see good aikido, you already know what bad aikido is." This takes "rank" and completely smashes it. That is the beauty of going beyond external competition and focusing on internal competition. Internal competition is more true, you can't really lie to yourself.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:28 AM   #29
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

Here is a good article that I read after I made my first post about making your art different from your Sensei's. http://www.aikidojournal.com/?id=620
Old 08-04-2006, 09:02 PM   #30
Carol Shifflett
United_States

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote:
I'd really like to add something here that blew my thought to kingdom come a few years ago: Hikitsutchi Shihan, some time before his passing, said in an interview: "When you see good aikido, you already know what bad aikido is." This takes "rank" and completely smashes it.
So true! Tho sometimes we don't suffer enough Bad (lucky us!) to REALLY appreciate the Good. While taking film classes I developed a fervent interest in bad movies, such as Ed Wood's infamous "Plan 9 From Outer Space" (tho far surpassed by "Eega!!," "Angels' Revenge" and the truly stunning "Cave-Dwellers," (immortalized by Mystery Science Theatre 3000).

Sometimes it's useful to see how bad things CAN be before it's possible to recognize the phenomenal skills of a Spielberg sensei. Maybe it takes a two-week backpacking trip in cold pouring rain to appreciate truly appreciate the concepts of "dry" and "hot water." Or maybe not. So go find the Good Aikido if you already know the Bad. If you already have Good in your sempai, great!
If not, have fun looking!

Cheers!
Carol
Old 08-04-2006, 11:46 PM   #31
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Carol Shifflett wrote:
While taking film classes I developed a fervent interest in bad movies, such as Ed Wood's infamous "Plan 9 From Outer Space" (tho far surpassed by "Eega!!," "Angels' Revenge" and the truly stunning "Cave-Dwellers," (immortalized by Mystery Science Theatre 3000).
Have you seen Richard Eflman's "Forbidden Zone"? If you like bad movies you'll love it

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 01-03-2007, 10:24 AM   #32
"Constructive suggestion"
IP Hash: e9e53b0c
Anonymous User

Quote:
Don Magee wrote:
I would suggest one of two things.

1) Find a new club.

2) Start being bad uke. Maybe you can gain some insight by not taking the fall and just standing there with a dumb look on your face when he goes into his long winded techniques that don't work. If they truely dont work, you should regain your balance at some point, so just stand there.
There is a third choice. Promote yourself to sandan and start your own organisation...give it another ten years and you should be ready for the big leap to soke-dom!
Old 01-03-2007, 11:46 AM   #33
Princess Rose

Dojo: Aikido of Northern CO
United_States

O Sensei said that you should always practice in the spirit of joy. If you are not enjoying your practice get out.

There are several reasons why I continue to practice Aikido, but I think the greatest of those is that I absolutely love training. If you do not love training where you are, find a place you do love. Maybe in time you will appreciate what you did get out of your dojo.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:23 PM   #34
GaiaM
Dojo: Bend Aiki Martial Arts
United_States

How about just attending the classes offered by your sempai and not those by the sensei?

Old 01-09-2007, 10:05 AM   #35
Kutisake
Dojo: iwama riu-Ivanovo
Russian Federation

Give it up. Find another dojo. Don't waste time there. There are a lot of respected teachers in whose abilities you will not doubt.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:06 PM   #36
gregg block

United_States

I've been training in the martial arts for 20 years and have met many instructors in many different styles. There are alot of impostors out there. A good martial artist may not be a good instructor but that would not be because his techniques are ineffective. It sound to me like you doubt you instructors skill and techniques and if that's the case you need to go elsewhere and find a skilled martial artist to instruct you. Mediocrity can only teach mediocrity or less.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:34 PM   #37
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

There are lots of teachers out there who have absolutely legitimate rank, but still suck, and can't teach to save their lives. Many of these teachers are worshiped every day, not because of their ability, or their teaching prowess, but because of their legitimacy on paper, and how many years they have been doing it. If you ever doubt a teacher, if he can not do something that impresses you, find someone who can and train with them. Once you except a teacher you should give them the benefit of the doubt, but if you have doubts early on, that is not the teacher for you.

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com