Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-03-2007, 05:33 AM   #26
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom
Re: Aikido on adrenaline?

Quote:
Don Magee wrote:
... and because we are trying to attack members we are not letting them spar for a few weeks
Yes, that's a difficult situation. Scarey.

I think you'd be better off
trying to ATTRACT them instead.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:08 PM   #27
DonMagee
United_States

It's that combat mindset, everything is attack attack attack!

But yea, I was trying to Attract.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 02-04-2007, 05:00 AM   #28
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

Quote:
in a new environment he is a spaz who can't deal with the adrenaline dump.

I think this is the most important thing to note. If you practice a certain situation very often, your body stops dumping adrenaline at that situation, it is used to it. When you change the situation, even slightly, your body might decide it is adrenaline time once again, and you will have to face the adrenaline flow all anew.

I doubt there is any real solution to this type of problems. You could practice full contact sparring in a competition every other day, but a surprise attack would remain something new to you, create an adrenaline dump and place you at that place once again.

We should strive top learn how to ride the wave, and flow with it, since the adrenaline dump is a biological phenomena we, as people, only have limited control over. It seems to me the adrenaline dump and overcoming it, were part of the attraction the Samurai found in spiritual practice and meditation - as a way of improving byond the mere physical aspect. Not sure if it is true, does it work and can we duplicate it today.

Amir
Old 02-04-2007, 10:52 AM   #29
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

As others have stated, you learn to control this state through practice. You practice things over, and over, and over until they become instinctual habits that no longer have to be consciously thought about.

By doing that, you can significantly reduce the amount of information you must process and can better focus on your main target/goal.

Doing drills, practicing ingraining responses in muscle memory, and overstress training where you apply your responses..are the way to go. The more realistic you can make your environment, the better off you will be when facing the real deal.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:31 AM   #30
Okami
Dojo: Aiki O'kami society
United_States

Hello Luc, your question is a very good one, as I see it alot with some other people that I practice with. They get in the moment and get ki confused with adrenaline and strength. But there is one exercise you may be able to do to help calm yourself, even when in the midst of a 'suprise attack'. Try sitting in Seiza position and close your eyes and relax, start performing breathing exercises, and about three minutes into it have somone at random and no particular time very quietly walk up to you and (this may sound crazy) hit you lightly or hard whichever you choose on the shoulder with a ruler. And when that happens try and realize how you reacted.Could you feel negative ki before the attack or after? Or both? Now to a normal person they would probably flinch and adrenaline would come to them. Try not to worry when the ruler (or whatever you use) will hit you, focus on being aware and keeping controlled breathing (which should relax you) and after awhile you shouldn't flinch as much nor should adrenaline come to you in a huge rush. Instead you will probably instantly become aware and be ready for whatever is next. I know I've watched some shows on Buddhist monks meditating in Seiza, they would sit there in the same spot for like an hour and someone would walk up behind them and hit them with a ruler to make sure they weren't asleep. But if you look closely they don't move an inch, it's truley amazing. But I just thought that might be an excercise you could try and other people who might have that problem and it's just overall good practice.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!