Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

aikido articles

dojo search
image gallery
links directory

book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

rss feeds

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-29-2006, 05:03 PM   #1
Aikido Popularity in U.S.

Does anyone out there know approximately how many Aikido practitioners there currently are in the U.S., and if so, where this information might be obtained? I am speaking of those practitioners who participate in dojos with legitimate oversight and lineage. I need this information for a dissertation I am writing.

Thank you.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:12 PM   #2
Just Jamey
Dojo: Aikido of West Bend
Re: Aikido Popularity in U.S.

You could try contacting the headquarters of the major organizations, and see if they would be willing to share that information with you.

Otherwise, I don't know where you would find accurate information.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:04 AM   #3
George S. Ledyard
Dojo: Aikido Eastside

The last figure I heard was 30 - 40 thousand which is a pretty imprecise number. I don't think anyone really knows. You could probably eventually get the figures on how many people are on the books in terms of membership but even that number would be inaccurate as many folks show up on the lists who aren't active.

You could look at how many folks have kept their organizational dues up to date but often there will be a siginificant percentage in the dojo who are training and haven't yet joined the organization.

In the case of thge ASU the figure you'd get wouldn't even include the young people as they don't register with the organization until they are fifteen. That can be a half of the members in many dojos...

I do not think that there is any way that you are going to be able to come up with an accurate figure. You'd be better off trying to find out how many dojos there are and using an average membership figure to estimate. Even that would take a lot of work... The ASU has something like 140 schools on the roster.

Good luck in your work.
- George

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
Old 12-30-2006, 07:17 AM   #4
Dojo: Aikido of Norfolk/ Aikido Society of Memphis

The last time I made a list, there were over 70 organizations in the US giving dan ranks in Aikido and, as George said about the ASU, the USAF dojos usually don't require their students to become members until their fifth kyu test.

You could use Aikiweb's list of dojos and estimate, although student body size differs vastly from dojo to dojo. There are also, I think, a good number of dojos not on that list.

I suspect we're in the 100,000 range or so.

I wonder if Adidas did any marketing research before bringing out their line of Aikido gear?

Jim Baker

Jim Baker
Aikido of Norfolk

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!