Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-10-2000, 12:39 PM   #1
W^2
United_States
Aikido - O'Sensei's marvelous creation - is by definition a "path" or "way" versus a technique or catalog of "techniques". O'Sensei had studied and became proficient in many martial ryu prior to opening his own dojo, laying the foundation for Aikido. In following (chronologically) the development of Aikido, one can readily see the progression in the subject line of this thread. The genius of Aikido, from my humble perspective, is the unification of Universal principles with practical applications in every facet of life, but I also think that the progression mentioned provides a valuable context and is often "overlooked". Any thoughts on this progression in our Aikido training?

Domo arigato gozaimashita, -W^2
Old 08-10-2000, 01:59 PM   #2
Kristina Morris
Dojo: Kannagara Jinja
Well, I'll give it a try. To me the progression of training in Aikido is thus:

Aikido to me is the physical manifistation of the soul. What is in you that makes up your being reflects in your training. This can be anything from how you treat other dojo mates to helping keep the dojo clean. As our progression in the physical execution of techniques improves, our spirit/attitude should also be improving. Sometimes the spirit lags way behind, but sooner or later it catches up to the physical level of our training. Eventually we come to that place in our training where the Aikido shines from the inside out!

Am I on the right track?

Kristina

Old 08-10-2000, 04:23 PM   #3
Nick
United_States
To quote Doshu:

"Those who enter the dojo thinking bad thoughts will not progress far. In the advancement of the art of AIKI, they stop acting badly, because it is hindering their training."

This isn't a direct quote, but is the best I can remember... read it in an interview.

-Nick