Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-07-2006, 10:07 AM   #1
FXMisha
United_States
ignorance of a newbie...

Pardon my ignorance…

I am a newcomer and have couple of questions -- searched (I guess I am not that good at searching, because I am sure these questions were answered before), so pardon if I am repeating these questions:

1) How many times per week would you recommend/ would you say aikidoka should go to dojo? Please do not generalize by saying it is a personal decision, rather say -- I go x-number of times. I used to play ice hockey professionally and we had practices 7 days a week -- but that was professional sports. I am thinking about 2-3 times a week, is this pretty normal or would you recommend more/less/about?
2) How long will it take one to achieve a black belt in aikido? In general? Don't take me wrong -- black belt is not my concern, I am just curious. (Let's assume 3 practises a week)
3) At what stage do you get to wear hakama? When you are a black belt, 5th kiy (spelling?) or…?
4) For those who train in Cincinnati, do we have only 1 dojo here which is at Red Bank or is there a bigger selection, also, how do you like AOC?

Thank you and by the way - nice clean forum.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:23 AM   #2
akiy

Re: ignorance of a newbie...

Quote:
Mike Zarins wrote:
1) How many times per week would you recommend/ would you say aikidoka should go to dojo?
How many total hours were you on the mat for aikido training in the past seven days?
http://www.aikiweb.com/polls/results.html?poll_id=113
Quote:
2) How long will it take one to achieve a black belt in aikido? In general?
How long did it take you to reach shodan in aikido?
http://www.aikiweb.com/polls/results.html?poll_id=61
Quote:
3) At what stage do you get to wear hakama?
Do you normally wear a hakama during aikido practice?
http://www.aikiweb.com/polls/results.html?poll_id=13

Do you think everyone, regardless of gender and rank, should wear a hakama in aikido?
http://www.aikiweb.com/polls/results.html?poll_id=21

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1445
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4166
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4585
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6485
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7779

Quote:
Thanks!

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 11-07-2006, 10:29 AM   #3
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

Quote:
Mike Zarins wrote:
Pardon my ignorance…

I am a newcomer and have couple of questions -- searched (I guess I am not that good at searching, because I am sure these questions were answered before), so pardon if I am repeating these questions:

1) How many times per week would you recommend/ would you say aikidoka should go to dojo? Please do not generalize by saying it is a personal decision, rather say -- I go x-number of times. I used to play ice hockey professionally and we had practices 7 days a week -- but that was professional sports. I am thinking about 2-3 times a week, is this pretty normal or would you recommend more/less/about?
2) How long will it take one to achieve a black belt in aikido? In general? Don't take me wrong -- black belt is not my concern, I am just curious. (Let's assume 3 practises a week)
3) At what stage do you get to wear hakama? When you are a black belt, 5th kiy (spelling?) or…?
4) For those who train in Cincinnati, do we have only 1 dojo here which is at Red Bank or is there a bigger selection, also, how do you like AOC?

I now train 5 days a week but I used to average 3 days for about 9 years. It took me 4 years to get my black belt and in most places, that's when you start wearing the hakama.
Best wishes,

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 11-07-2006, 11:22 AM   #4
Aristeia
New Zealand

I think 3 days a week is a good minimum to aim for to progress reasonably consistantly. Ideally train more than that, Aikido trained well should allow for daily practice without undue strain on the body. How long to black and when to strap on the hakama will be specific to the organisation you belong to.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 11-07-2006, 11:27 AM   #5
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

One day per week minimum and three days per week maximum. That schedule seems to do an end run around quitters and burnouts. Attend an annual seminar and try to test once a year.

In gassho,
Mark
Old 11-07-2006, 12:31 PM   #6
crbateman
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote:
One day per week minimum and three days per week maximum. That schedule seems to do an end run around quitters and burnouts.
Who you callin' a "burnout"???
Old 11-07-2006, 12:46 PM   #7
Roman Kremianski
Dojo: Toronto Aikikai
Canada

That pretty hakama will be mine in a few years. Oh yes.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:15 PM   #8
po_courcelles

Dojo: Agatsu Aikido de Montréal
Canada

Hi Mike and welcome among us!

I try to train 4 times a week (1 weapons class and 3 tai-jutsu) mainly because i'm addicted. Honestly, I don't feel I'm learning twice as fast as if I were going 2 times a week...IMO Fewer, but better classes are more useful than going each day tired and un-focused. Getting my point?

Here in most schools people often wear Hakama at 3rd Kyu. Again, it depends on your school/organisation.

I know some sempai doing aikido for ten years and still being 2nd or 1st kyu...Testing is not so much important for some people, it is more for others...It's up to you to train the way you feel it suits you...most important: Masakatsu agatsu!

And yeah, most important, go to as many seminars as you can.

Enjoy your training!

Last edited by po_courcelles : 11-07-2006 at 02:17 PM.

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
--- Albert Einstein
Old 11-07-2006, 02:17 PM   #9
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States

I usually train 6 days a week, I've been training for over 4 years (no burnout yet, so there, ha). In the USAF, the average rate to shodan is 7 to 10 years. I'm getting ready for 1st kyu. And in my dojo, everyone wears hakama at shodan.

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda
Old 11-07-2006, 04:09 PM   #10
Jaikido
Dojo: Shin-Gi-Tai Society
Wales
I'd say that the amount you train is definitely down to the individual. Train as much as you like to, maybe change between weeks. If you train because you love it then you'll do it more at those times. Likewise, when you're going through a period when you don't want to train, its a good idea to take a step back and slow down or even stop completely, and pick it up again, or you'll become sick of it. I don't mean don't train when you're tired or stiff, because if you want to train, you can always train lighter.

Edit:

Long answer:
I've been training once a week (1 1/2 hour) for 6 months, and I decided to take it more seriously now, kinda, after my initiation etc, but as I'm out in the countryside its a fair track to the nearest sessions that aren't on my usual day, so I go about 50 miles to train with 8th Dan Gwynne Jones and then onto another class run my my regular Sensei to make it more worthwhile. Now doing 3 sessions and I find training with 2 different people gives you a wider variety of technique, and helps develop your own "version" of aikido.

Short answer:
I train 3 times a week.

Last edited by Jaikido : 11-07-2006 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:29 PM   #11
mrfeldmeyer

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

Mike,

I currently train 2 times a week for around 2 hours each practice. Plus about 2-3 hours a week of Iaido.

In the Jiyushinkai system it can take around 400 hours minimum to reach shodan. Some do it in 3-4 years, some take 7-10 years.

We kind of allow a hakama to whomever would like to try one at my dojo, but I'm sure there is an actual rule somewhere for that. I personally don't wear one often.

I don't train in Cincinnati, but the dojo search here at aikiweb shows one more dojo with minimal information. It might be worth your while to look on dojo search and check surrounding communities as well. Just look to your left at the top of this page.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:01 AM   #12
Dario Rosati
Dojo: Zanshin - Milan

Quote:
Mike Zarins wrote:
1) How many times per week would you recommend/ would you say aikidoka should go to dojo? Please do not generalize by saying it is a personal decision, rather say -- I go x-number of times.
I train 2 times a week, 3 hours total; this made my progress slower than the average practitioner as far as what i've read around (where 3 times, 4-6 hours a week seems the norm), but I don't see that as a problem.
I will reach 1st dan/hakama, if ever, in 7-8 years at this rythm.
I could have choosen a different dojo where people may practice every day if they want, but I simply choosed not to - 2 times a week fits well in my life and other hobby/work/family activities.

So it's a personal decision, unless you're bounded to a single dojo with a pre-determined schedule

The only tip is to be constant: better go constantly but few times like me, than 5 times a week for a few months, then break and restart a few months later with the same rythm, IMHO.

Bye!

--
Old 11-08-2006, 07:19 AM   #13
RoyK
Dojo: Nishin Kan
Israel

I liked this article (by Ross Robertson) relating to your first questions: http://www.aikiweb.com/columns/rrobertson/2006_10.html

Quote:
Two times, three times a week is optimal. More may lead you to burn out, and may signify you're ignoring other important areas in your life.
I train 4 times a week, and allow myself to miss up to one class a week for social occasions or to accommodate other hobbies (like band practice).

Best of luck!
Old 11-08-2006, 07:50 AM   #14
FXMisha
United_States

Wow. Impressing -- thanks for all your responses. Nice forum with very helping members, not a very common thing on the internet anymore.

Thank you all!

Those from Cincinnati, please post your experience about Cincy Dojo.

P.S. I think I am going to visit dojo this Thursday for initial visit and start practicing in the next week or two.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:19 AM   #15
sullivanw
Dojo: Portland Aikikai
United_States

Great, have fun!
I think that the best amount is dependent on how you can balance the needs of your body and other areas of your life with your desire to train. Four days a week has turned out to be the average for me.

-Will
Old 11-08-2006, 05:23 PM   #16
SeiserL

United_States

The ignorance of a newbie is welcomed. Staying ignorant with experience is dangerous.

I trained 3 times a week for almost 12 years.

I don't remember the length or dates of promotions.

Just train.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 11-08-2006, 09:32 PM   #17
Ron401
United_States

I heard this tonight in my class "twice a week to maintain, 3 times a week to progress" My dojo has class 3 times a week and I attend all of them. If we had class 5 times a week than thats how many times i would go.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:57 PM   #18
mut

Dojo: south hetton (Dynamic aikido Nocquet )
United Kingdom

hallo good questions, i train 7 days a week about 4 hours a day (yes im an aiki adict ) i got my black belt after 18 months, but if you break down the hours it kinda works out the same as most people, 3 sessions a week 4-5 years to achive, hakama usually at black belt depending on the organizeation, but i tell you this black belt is only the begining, when you get your shodan, it humbles you alittle and inside you realize that out of a million mile journey, youve just taken your first real step, but hey what a journey....good luck
Old 11-10-2006, 04:53 PM   #19
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

A shodan in 18 months? How old are you?

In gassho,
Mark
Old 11-11-2006, 08:52 AM   #20
Jaikido
Dojo: Shin-Gi-Tai Society
Wales

I've been told that when you become Shodan, one of two things happens:

1. You feel smug
2. You feel like you must now live up to this

A bit like passing your driving test, I guess.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:43 PM   #21
DonMagee
United_States

Quote:
Lee Southward wrote:
hallo good questions, i train 7 days a week about 4 hours a day (yes im an aiki adict ) i got my black belt after 18 months, but if you break down the hours it kinda works out the same as most people, 3 sessions a week 4-5 years to achive, hakama usually at black belt depending on the organizeation, but i tell you this black belt is only the begining, when you get your shodan, it humbles you alittle and inside you realize that out of a million mile journey, youve just taken your first real step, but hey what a journey....good luck
Being that there are only 10 black belt ranks....Isn't it really a 10 step program?

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 11-11-2006, 02:19 PM   #22
vjw
Dojo: Rochester Phoenix
United_States

Quote:
Mike Zarins wrote:
how do you like AOC?
I met the dojo cho, Charlie McGinnis and members of the dojo at Summer camp this year. Nice people with a high standard of Aikido. Going to a Seminar with Ariff Mehter of AOC at Syracuse next week end. Definitely recommend the club.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:54 PM   #23
eschatts
Dojo: Aikido of Madison
United_States

Ha I have been practicing for 7 years and I am still not a black belt. Testing does not matter. When you practice with somebody you know exactly what rank they are. Even if they are a shodan.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:46 PM   #24
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai

I like to train 2-3 times a week, the crosstrain in other activities.It keeps me fresh and not as likely to get an overuse injury.

Jeanne

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!