Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-06-2006, 05:27 AM   #26
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom
Re: a filipino aikido teacher

If you want to grade your students, just invite a teacher in who can do it. What's the big deal?

Old 11-06-2006, 06:57 AM   #27
alex padilla
Dojo: Manila Aikido Club, Philippines
Philippines

Romuel,
You forgot to mention his name. I know that BP is handled by the Azarcon brothers and besides that I know little of their history. Camar Sensei has been with the military and the police so whenever I get to go back home I will ask Camar Sensei about him. With Gavileno Sensei I can not ask him about it.
So, What is his name?

I know this has been ask of you, so generally you are in Yoshinkan with that wealth of knowledge? just asking.

I will throw in politics for this story: I practiced with a group of yoshinkan here in Malaysia. One of the first questions asked was if I know the Black Panther. I said they are also yoshinkan and was immediately answered with, they are not IYAF affiliated. I am not digging for any answers here just relating a story. BTW, I enjoy the practice don't matter with me much about politics.

Jack,
Greetings, aikido brother. I will ask Camar Sensei about Valencia Sensei when I get home. I only know that since 1969 he has been travelling a lot.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:16 AM   #28
raul rodrigo
Philippines

As I have explained to Romuel in a PM, I didn't intend my posts in this thread to be adversarial or antagonistic, and I hope you didn't think I was, Jack. I merely wanted to clarify a valid question (to my mind, anyway) about Sensei Valencia. I meant no disrespect to him or to you, Jack. And yes, it is the diligent practice of aikido that matters most.

best,

RAUL
Old 11-06-2006, 01:22 PM   #29
villrg0a

Dojo: Shuryukan Yoshinkai Aikido
Saudi Arabia

So all ends the aiki way, we are all friends

I understand that we are all interested in the history of Aikido in the Philippines, and this thread has been very instrumental in exchanging opinions and facts related to the above subject, thanks to aikiweb.

Alex,

He is the late Captain Luis Gavieries. Yes, the Azarcon brothers are handling the BP now and are very active. Please do ask Camar sensei about him.

Yes, we do train Yoshinkan Aikido, and have trained under BP and will continue to train with them.

Wow, politics - I have to excuse myself on that, I'm out. But regarding their IYAF affiliation, I do not have the authority to speak on their behalf, maybe you can ask them or honbu dojo. To recap, Mr. Gavieres' name was only brought up to inform you he did in fact established an aikido school back in 1956, and is a part of Philippine Aikido history.

Just like I said, it is really nice to know that there are filipinos who have trained earlier even before Aikido became popular. As for me, I am only interested in history and basic training.

Peace,
Mel

Last edited by villrg0a : 11-06-2006 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:41 PM   #30
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Alex Padilla wrote:
One of the first questions asked was if I know the Black Panther. I said they are also yoshinkan and was immediately answered with, they are not IYAF affiliated.

... and the point is? You do not need to be IYAF affiliated to be considered a Yoshinkan Aikido affiliated school. It is my understanding that the Black Panther group has relations with Takeno Shihan, Yoshinkan 8th dan. Therefore, there is no need for IYAF affiliation. End of story!
Old 11-06-2006, 07:02 PM   #31
alex padilla
Philippines

Romuel,

"He is the late Captain Luis Gavieries. Yes, the Azarcon brothers are handling the BP now and are very active. 'Please do ask Camar sensei about him' ."

-you keep pointing that out. Yes, i will ask him.

Wow, politics - I have to excuse myself on that, I'm out. But regarding their IYAF affiliation, I do not have the authority to speak on their behalf, maybe you can ask them or honbu dojo.

-i have no intention of asking them or honbu dojo. it is just the history i am asking for, i'm not into politics.

"To recap, Mr. Gavieres' name was only brought up to inform you he did in fact established an aikido school back in 1956, and is a part of Philippine Aikido history."

-you did not need to just inform me, i think advance pinoy aikidokas need their history, and again not politics.

Steven,
"... and the point is? You do not need to be IYAF affiliated to be considered a Yoshinkan Aikido affiliated school. It is my understanding that the Black Panther group has relations with Takeno Shihan, Yoshinkan 8th dan. Therefore, there is no need for IYAF affiliation. End of story!"

-i already answered this one in advance.
"I am not digging for any answers here just relating a story."

The purpose of my questions was for Philippine Aikido History only, as I will again reiterate I am not into politics.
I asked Romuel about the BP because he seems knowledegable about early history, there is nothing attached to those questionings.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:20 PM   #32
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States

Alex said:
I will throw in politics for this story

Then said:
i'm not into politics

eh? If not, then why bring politics into it?
Old 11-06-2006, 07:40 PM   #33
alex padilla
Philippines

Steven,

I already PM you.
that's it.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:14 PM   #34
raul rodrigo
Philippines

As the person who began asking questions about affiliation in this thread, I'd just like to say that its going to be hard for us to move forward if someone's factual question about a dojo's affiliation is going to be treated with suspicion about his motives. As long as the person asking the question is properly respectful and makes no insinuations or comments about a sensei's or a dojo's character or worth, then (my thinking is) it should be all right to ask questions about affiliation. Lets put the facts out there. What do you guys think?

best,

RAUL
Old 11-06-2006, 09:06 PM   #35
bleepbeep
Dojo: kyokan dojo bacolod city/dale city aikikai, va
United_States
Re: Pinoy Aikidokas of the 50's

Quote:
Romuel Villareal wrote:
[Alex] I forgot to tell you, he was already teaching Judo, Tactical Defense among other things at the Manila's Finest HQ, and NBI prior his departure to Japan in 53/1954. Just like Jack said, pinoys and the rest of the world where into Judo or Karate mostly prior to Aikido. Gosh I wasnt even born yet....

[Jack] Hi - when in Bacolod, please look for Kyokan Dojo headed by Stella Fuentes sensei they have good training there, and good people...
thanks for the recommendation Mel. If you are around this December, February and March, we might have some visiting teachers. I'll let you know as soon as its all final.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:26 PM   #36
rulemaker
Dojo: Aikido Philippines
Philippines

I agree with Raul that affiliations and true historical facts should be out in the open. why don't we formulate a history of aikido in the philippines in this forum that all of us can agree upon? this way we can honor the contributions of the pioneers and weed out those who have no relations to aikido in any form. Raul and I can share our knowledge of present Aikikai Hombu Dojo affiliated organizations.

If you want to train with a filipino yoshinkan instructor I suggest that you train with Romy Ballares (Ballares Itaku Shidoin) He is currently an instructor at the yoshinkan hombu dojo in tokyo, japan. He regularly visits the Philippines.

By the way, I would like to share with you my collection of Aikido Photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/melmiel

Mel
Old 11-06-2006, 10:44 PM   #37
shadowedge

Dojo: Sensei Aikido Dojo / Marikina Metro Manila
Philippines

Hi everyone,

I don't mean to break the current train of thought.

But getting back to the original post, Let me say, dude, thanks for sharing. I'm from Iloilo City (Jaro, Tabuc Suba). I've been looking for these teachers for a long time.

Unfortunately I started learning Aikido here in Metro Manila. Once in a while tho, when I get back to the province I train Unred Sensei Roland Villanueva who teachen in the (i forgot the name) gym behind Robinson's Place.

Anyway, really really nice photos rulemaker. Thanks for Sharing!

I have aa question tho, I hope this does not stir up any political issues, Over the last 5 years I've trained in different dojos under Different Sensei. Most of them did not have any formal Affiliations. My question is, do the Affilitations, recognize us as practitioners even if we aren't members?

thanks.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:13 PM   #38
villrg0a

Dojo: Shuryukan Yoshinkai Aikido
Saudi Arabia

[Alex] I will be in Malaysia these coming months. Perhaps you could PM me your number and I will get in touch with you and maybe we can discuss this subject further over a cup of coffee.

[Stella] You're very welcome. Please say hi to Noel.

[Rommel] You are right, if somebody from the Philippines could spare some time to investigate and do some research work regarding Aikido pioneers in the Philippines that would be nice.

It's very diffucult to get in touch with Ballares Itaku Shidoin, I was looking for him when I was in Shinjuku this year but unfortunately he was not around that time. It would be nice to actually train with him, but it's kinda difficult for our kababayans unless they have some extra money to go to Tokyo and train. If only he had a duly registered dojo in Manila it would be nice, the La Salle Dojo I believe is no longer in operation.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:16 AM   #39
rulemaker
Dojo: Aikido Philippines
Philippines

I think I have Romy's japan calling card. I'll look for it tonight and post the details tomorrow.

mel
Old 11-07-2006, 02:26 AM   #40
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Quote:
Rene Vencer, Jr wrote:
I have aa question tho, I hope this does not stir up any political issues, Over the last 5 years I've trained in different dojos under Different Sensei. Most of them did not have any formal Affiliations. My question is, do the Affilitations, recognize us as practitioners even if we aren't members? thanks.
You would be welcome to train in an Aikikai dojo, but you wouldn't be considered to have the rank you had in your old dojo. Which isnt a problem for some people. They just want to train. But if you would like to achieve dan ranking in Aikikai after being a yudansha in your original style, you would have to start over again. One of the top dojo heads in our federation was once a blackbelt in Combat Aikido who left and then had himself recertified as an Aikikai yudansha, going up through the kyu ranks just like any other beginner. He's about to test for sandan under Aikikai, if I am not mistaken.

R
Old 11-07-2006, 02:33 AM   #41
shadowedge

Dojo: Sensei Aikido Dojo / Marikina Metro Manila
Philippines

Thanks Raul!
Old 11-10-2006, 03:31 AM   #42
jacktentia
Dojo: iloilo aikido dojo
Philippines
Re: Pinoy Aikidokas of the 50's

Quote:
Romuel Villareal wrote:
[Alex] I forgot to tell you, he was already teaching Judo, Tactical Defense among other things at the Manila's Finest HQ, and NBI prior his departure to Japan in 53/1954. Just like Jack said, pinoys and the rest of the world where into Judo or Karate mostly prior to Aikido. Gosh I wasnt even born yet....

[Jack] Hi - when in Bacolod, please look for Kyokan Dojo headed by Stella Fuentes sensei they have good training there, and good people...

hello romuel... thanks for theinfo regarding kyokan dojo. you are right they are good people i met stella and noel twice, first in bacolod city in 2003 when were invited in a fellowship there and just last month when sensie jun nomoto ( a 7th dan blackbelt)hold an aikido clinic here in ilolo. its great sharing with us about this person who studied aikido in 1956. if he is into judo too then maybe he knew sensie vevincio ticao, a co founder of philippine amateur jodo association (PAJA).
Old 11-10-2006, 03:42 AM   #43
jacktentia
Philippines

Quote:
Raul Rodrigo wrote:
As I have explained to Romuel in a PM, I didn't intend my posts in this thread to be adversarial or antagonistic, and I hope you didn't think I was, Jack. I merely wanted to clarify a valid question (to my mind, anyway) about Sensei Valencia. I meant no disrespect to him or to you, Jack. And yes, it is the diligent practice of aikido that matters most.

best,

RAUL

my greetings. you were not antagonistic raul, we are all brothers in aikido, we believe in the same philosophy... what we had here is friendly discussions. thanks a lot.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:48 PM   #44
raul rodrigo
Philippines

HI JACK;

Hope you had good sessions with Nomoto shihan and Macapawa sensei. I was with them during the Cebu leg of their seminar, October 28-30. Mariel Macapawa was my first aikido teacher. Unfortunately I couldn't make it to Iloilo for the sessions with your group, but I hope the sessions were productive and fun. Maybe I can make it there some other time. One of my dojo mates is doing research on the history of aikido in the Philippines and he is thinking of interviewing sensei Valencia.

R
Old 11-11-2006, 06:41 AM   #45
carlo pagal
Philippines

Rmuel, Alex, Raul and brothers in the art,

Greetings from Iloilo Aikido Dojo,

Sensie Valencia would like to extend his regards to all aikidokas.

Sensie Valencia started practicing aikido in the early 50s in Asan Point Base in Guam under Sensie Harry Eto, with Sensie Kalama and Sensie Sasaki as other instructors. Sensie Valencia was the only Filipino promoted to a rank of Shodan, date was 23rd May 1965, later that year Sensie Tohie visited Guam and noticed the large number of enthusiastic Filipinos practicing the art. Henceforth, with the mandate to propagate the art, Sensie Valencia was chosen to officially introduce the art of aikido to the Philippines, considering he was the only Filipino Shodan at that time. Apparently Valencia Sensie declined, and this prompted the Board of Directors of Guam Aikido Club( Sensie Valencia was one of the members) to promote another Filipino to an Honorary Blackbelt. and thus, the seed of aikido in the Philippines started. In 1974, Sensie Valencia went home with a 4th Dan under his belt.

Hope the brief history we shared will help us all find our true lineage in Philippine Aikido. Our deepest regards.

Iloilo Aikido Dojo
Old 11-11-2006, 10:27 PM   #46
Raul Roldan
Dojo: Aikikai NSW
Australia

hey there. i am please to finally know there's one in iloilo. i've been home a number of times but thought the nearest one was on in bacolod, under stella fuentes sensei. well, i guess i now have place to go to when i'm back in iloilo.. hopefully in april/may next year. cheers.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:35 PM   #47
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Quote:
Carlo Paul Pagal wrote:
Sensie Valencia was chosen to officially introduce the art of aikido to the Philippines, considering he was the only Filipino Shodan at that time. Apparently Valencia Sensie declined, and this prompted the Board of Directors of Guam Aikido Club( Sensie Valencia was one of the members) to promote another Filipino to an Honorary Blackbelt. and thus, the seed of aikido in the Philippines started.

An honorary blackbelt? You mean without an exam?

R
Old 11-13-2006, 06:24 AM   #48
carlo pagal
Philippines

I'll try to ask Sensei regarding your query this weekend Raul. Please feel free to ask anything you would like to know about Sensei Francisco Villanueva. We will be posting more pics of Sensei in our website(www.aikiloilo.bravehost.com) soon. Please tell your friends about our website.

thank you!
Old 11-15-2006, 03:13 AM   #49
carlo pagal
Philippines

Carlo Paul Pagal]I'll try to ask Sensei regarding your query this weekend Raul. Please feel free to ask anything you would like to know about Sensei Francisco Villanueva. We will be posting more pics of Sensei in our website(www.aikiloilo.bravehost.com) soon. Please tell your friends about our website.

Hello!

I just would like to correct the clerical error made on my last post. It's SENSEI FRANCISCO VALENCIA and not Villanueva. Pls. let your friends know about our Sensei and our website (www.aikiloilo.bravehost.com).

Thank You!
Old 11-17-2006, 12:54 AM   #50
jacktentia
Philippines

Quote:
Raul Rodrigo wrote:
An honorary blackbelt? You mean without an exam?

R

my deepest regards raul.... yes without an exam....

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!