Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-31-2006, 04:10 PM   #26
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States
Re: what do you think??

It's clear to me that we're not really talking about the same thing. At a very deep level, we're not really doing the same thing. That's fine with me. Hopefully the initial poster finds something that speaks to him and his style in this thread.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:57 PM   #27
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote:
It's clear to me that we're not really talking about the same thing. At a very deep level, we're not really doing the same thing. That's fine with me. Hopefully the initial poster finds something that speaks to him and his style in this thread.
I cannot glean from you have written what, in any extensive sense, you are doing, much less the depth of any difference. Granted, I may be exceedingly dim-witted and inobservant. But apart from greater emphasis on calisthenics, increased strength and endurance and recommending syncopated timing (sensen no sen?) your approach is not clear to me. While as improvements to overall fitness, they are certainly worthwhile, but they are not, in my view, aspects of improving the use of aiki in randori. I would take issue with each of those on that ground, and the issue of sente O-Sensei has said does not apply in aikido.

Given my apparent inability in this regard, I will have to accept your closet judgment that our approaches are so different as to be unworthy of further comment. If they are that different, however, it is a lost opportunity to explore that conflict, and that I do regret.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:51 AM   #28
ChrisMoses
United_States

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote:
I cannot glean from you have written what, in any extensive sense, you are doing, much less the depth of any difference. Granted, I may be exceedingly dim-witted and inobservant.
Erick, I'm composing a PM for you. It was not my intention to insult you or imply you are dim witted in any way. I simply felt that to continue this line of conversation would stray too far from the topic, and begin to focus on paradigms and principles that I find in my own training, many that very well may not apply to aikido in general.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:17 AM   #29
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

When you taking your shodan Daniel? Im taking mine next month!

Try and vary your techniques, an Irimitsuki is a good one for surprising uke and for moving forward, the leg sweep kokyunage also works well I find (if uke is experienced eough to escape it). Also think aboutgetting behind an uke (with say, Iriminage) and using him as a human shield against the other ukes. Ditto with throwing ukes into the direction of other attacking uke. You arent just there to get rid of them, your there to get rid of uke and confound the others.

Good Luck!

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:58 AM   #30
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote:
Erick, I'm composing a PM for you. It was not my intention to insult you or imply you are dim witted in any way. I simply felt that to continue this line of conversation would stray too far from the topic, and begin to focus on paradigms and principles that I find in my own training, many that very well may not apply to aikido in 've general.
No offense taken. I simply have a predisposition for tangential exploration, because that's where new openings are usually found.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:18 AM   #31
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote:
I simply have a predisposition for tangential exploration
along with an impressive vocabulary

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:20 PM   #32
daniel loughlin
Dojo: Oldham
United Kingdom

wow this thread is hotting up and i must say that last post is without doubt my favourite haha way to lighten the mood mark

im taking my shodan on the 23rd of september 3 weeks today hmm that crept up argghh haha

i asked the same question to another studant at my club who is shodan and he nicely managed to tell me how he broke his nose doing the 4 man attack which made me feel better not haha

Danny Loughlin
Old 09-02-2006, 04:41 PM   #33
bash1227
Dojo: aikido budo ryokukai
United_States

This Worked For Me And Many Other Students Start One Man Randori 10 Attacks Ad 1 Uke 10 More Attacks Then Ad A Third And 10 More Attack And Then
A Fourth Do This A Lot Every Day For Hours If You Can. Also Remember Don't Stare At Uke Who You Already Have In A Pin Throw Or In Control Keep Moving In Small Circular Motions And Keep Your Stands Low So That Your Ko-chi Is Lower Then Uke For Faster Throws And Stay Relax Before Starting Try To Meditate And Imagine Your Techniques In Your Mind Try To Feel Ky Flow In Your Hands And Don't Worry About Falling Its Not Important What Is Important Is Learning And That Takes Time
Old 09-05-2006, 08:57 AM   #34
Nick Simpson
United Kingdom

Good luck Daniel, mines on the 14th of october. Let us know how you do!

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:49 AM   #35
daniel loughlin
United Kingdom

oo close to my birthday :O i wish you the best of luck too ino i will need it

ill reply on this thread or maybe just message you when ive done it
noo 2 weeks haha

Danny Loughlin
Old 09-08-2006, 11:54 AM   #36
wayneth
Dojo: Port Talbot Dojo
Wales

Good luck daniel
Wayne
Old 09-24-2006, 10:43 AM   #37
daniel loughlin
United Kingdom

just to let you know i passed yey very very happy
was serious hard work though and the course at 9:30-12:30 the next day was also very difficult,never been so tired in my life. but yey done now i can start to really train

now ive just got to get a hakama from somewhere lol should be fun

Danny Loughlin
Old 09-24-2006, 11:54 AM   #38
justin
United Kingdom

well done, so any horror stories or did it go pritty much as you wished
Old 09-24-2006, 12:54 PM   #39
ChrisMoses
United_States

Quote:
Daniel Loughlin wrote:
just to let you know i passed yey very very happy
was serious hard work though and the course at 9:30-12:30 the next day was also very difficult,never been so tired in my life. but yey done now i can start to really train

now ive just got to get a hakama from somewhere lol should be fun
Gongrats! Personally I find the "Aikikai" brand tetron hakama sold by Tozando (and others) are the best. They're comfortable to wear, easy to care for and last a very long time. The flexible rubber koshita is brilliant too, modern but with a traditional aesthetic. Enjoy the next few months, there's something very special about the time just *after* getting shodan.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:03 AM   #40
CitoMaramba

Dojo: Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui Group Philippines
Philippines

Omedeto gozaimasu! Congratulations!
Old 10-02-2006, 01:25 PM   #41
daniel loughlin
United Kingdom

horror stories??
yeah i fell on my 1st throw in the 4 man attack but rolled out of it,i accidently elbowed someone in the face lol but got kicked it the head (karma<<) which nearly knocked me out which made things more difficult lol
but apart from that went well
got my hakama today but its badly creased so i think ill get my teacher to fold it for me tommorow then iron it at home

Danny Loughlin
Old 10-02-2006, 02:05 PM   #42
Ed Stansfield

Dojo: Mason Street Dojo
United Kingdom

Quote:
Danny wrote:
yeah i fell on my 1st throw in the 4 man attack but rolled out of it
This doesn't really tell the full story...

Danny did lose his balance on the first throw, but only because he was the only person to open this bit of the grading by launching a frenzied assault on the nearest attacker, i.e. me.

Does anyone in this thread want to own up for that particular pearl of wisdom?
Quote:
i accidently elbowed someone in the face lol
Yes, and then there was the spectacular 6th sense moment when you flung your arm backwards over your head, just as I was going for an ushiro attack... [thud!]
Quote:
but got kicked in the head (karma<<) which nearly knocked me out which made things more difficult lol
Yes, well, lets not dwell on that eh?

It was a good grading. Congratulations once again.

Best,

Ed

It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations.

Winston Churchill, 1930.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:34 AM   #43
Nick Simpson
United Kingdom

Well done Daniel! Sounds like you did great!

Also:

Quote:
Danny did lose his balance on the first throw, but only because he was the only person to open this bit of the grading by launching a frenzied assault on the nearest attacker, i.e. me.
Im so proud of you

Old 10-04-2006, 01:36 PM   #44
daniel loughlin
United Kingdom

haha yeah sorry about that 1 ed it was an accident but i still wana watch the vid coz i recon it was u who kiked me haha nah im not dwelling on that
yeah it wasnt full frezied attack i was too scared for that after seein both john and sarah step up
i was expecting sensi and O sensei to step up to join in ha arh haha and nick your only proud because i caused pain to ed (everyone was haha) i was told that you and john were goin for me because you to used to be the youngest? is that true?? the youngest thing not you trying to hurt me of course i know you would never do that ha

Danny Loughlin

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!