Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-27-2006, 11:57 PM   #1
javierpuga
Dojo: Javier Puga
United_States
Gi for tall/skinny people

I have been looking for a Gi on the internet. All the size charts say I am a size 5 because I am aobut 6 feet. But they also say that size five is for people who wheigh 180 lbs. I am 6 foot 130 pounds (tall/skinny) I am afraid the size 5 will fit strange since it is for much heavier people.

Does anyone know of any Gi that is designed for tall/skinny people?
Old 09-28-2006, 09:21 AM   #2
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai
Re: Gi for tall/skinny people

Those sizes are pretty much it. I'm 6 foot and about 172 right now. Slightly overweight for my body type. I should be around 150 - 155 when in tip top shape. I have a size 6. The jacket is too wide for me but if I get a smaller size then the sleeves and especially the pants will be too short. Don't forget that they will shrink after you wash them so it is best to have too big than too small. I had a gi a long time ago that shrunk up on me somthing fierce. The pant legs ended around the middle to top half of my calves with the knee padding more on my thigh. I looked totally ridiculous but couldn't afford to buy another gi. We just have to face the fact that we are the odd sized people when buying clothing.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:46 AM   #3
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States

If you felt like spending the money, Tozando offers 'long' sizes in their Aikido gi tops, as does Bujin Design . They're not exactly cheap, but they are quite nice. If you're looking for your first gi, probably not worth it, just get a size 5 and don't worry about it. A lot of people have to modify their gi to fit them anyway, I wear a 5 but hate how long the sleeves and pant legs are, I prefer them to stop mid forearm, not mid thumb. Most gi are shaped to fit a thinner build anyway. :'(
Old 09-28-2006, 10:03 AM   #4
Basia Halliop
Canada

As far as gi pants go, some of the ones with the cord tie are so adjustable it might still be OK. If I flatten out my gi pants I could probably fit two of me inside, but if I pull the cord tight the cotton all gathers up and I just get kind of baggy almost 'pleated' around the top pants.

It's probably easier if you could try some on before buying. If buying on-line is your only option, maybe someone you know or practice with got them at the same place and you can at least take a look at what shape they are.

Also mine (at least the pants) look like a pretty simple cut -- I bet it would be easy to narrow them or get them narrowed at some place that does alterations.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:32 PM   #5
DonMagee
United_States

Try a Gi cut for BJJ. They tend to be cut slimer so they are tighter to the body for competition. This makes it fit better on tall skinny people. I perfer Atama gi's.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 09-28-2006, 02:41 PM   #6
heyoka

Dojo: A.C.L.A., Los Angeles, CA.
United_States

I'm 6'1"/ 155lbs (skinny), size 5. I have to keep the belt very tight or the jacket easily comes loose, and the belt that was included is long-ish. However I find it overall okay. The legs need to be rolled up about 3 times and usually that will last through class without having to re-adjust. I do the same with the sleeves but not out of necessity.

Paul Major
Dojo Secretary
Aikido Center of Los Angeles
Old 10-01-2006, 02:14 PM   #7
Chris Birke

I recommend a gi top a size or two smaller than your gi pants. You can often get them seperately. Simple easy solution =).
Old 10-01-2006, 03:47 PM   #8
crbateman
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

You skinny folk got it rough... I just get a great big gi, and cut it off at the elbows and the knees...
Old 10-01-2006, 06:46 PM   #9
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

Iwata: they have L's for each of their sizing.
I am about 6 foot, around 175lbs (34' waist, 17 dress shirt, about 44 for blazer/suit jacket), and of my 2 jackets (one brand new) I have had to bring the jacket in to get the sleeves chopped down to the length I like (mid-forearm). The 4L pants are perfect for me.
Above all, you can mix and match sizes. Sweet.
http://www.alpha-net.ne.jp/users2/iwataco/frame2e.html

Old 10-02-2006, 10:32 PM   #10
Michael Young

Dojo: Alamo City Aikido

We order our gi from KI International. They carry a medium weight gi (they call it a Karate style gi) with the cut being very similar to Bu-Jin design's gi. The great thing is that they come in 1/2 sizes, I wear the size 5.5 in that style. I'm 5'10", but I have to have the sleeves and pants hemmed up (a lot), so these could very well fit you. I like the roominess and style of cut that the top of the sized 5.5 has to offer, thus I'm willing to go through the extra hassle of the hemming. We have a wholesale account with them (not hard to get, all you have to do is provide them with paperwork showing that you are an operating dojo), and their prices are great...the medium weight karate style 5.5 is only $27.
Here is their number: 1-800-982-1059
Good luck

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!