Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 11:55 PM   #126
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Re: Taichi and Aikido

shut up justin.
before CMC poops on u from his grave.

Old 08-22-2006, 06:35 AM   #127
statisticool
United_States

If he can't answer, he can't answer.

A secret of internal strength?:
"Let your weight from the crotch area BE in his hands."

Old 08-22-2006, 09:52 AM   #128
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo

Quote:
Justin Smith wrote:
If he can't answer, he can't answer.
!!!
wiseman speaketh

Old 08-24-2006, 05:17 PM   #129
statisticool
United_States

Quote:
Robert John wrote:
!!!
wiseman speaketh
Robert, quit stalking me!

But back to the topic of the thread after it was sidetracked with discussions of something not being a traditional style, as if that has any bearing on the question of practicing taiji helping aikido and practicing aikido helping taiji.

From the connections I can make, balance, flexibility, and relaxed strength are some common elements. I don't see how practicing one cannot help the other. And then falls and rolls would supplement taijiquan and a few kicks and strikes would supplement aikido.

After reading Kiss. Ueshiba's Spirit of Aikido, what comes to my mind is something like taijiquan is Chinese aikido and aikido is Japanese taijiquan. Not literally, of course, but just kinda the feeling I get from these two wonderful martial arts.

Justin

Old 08-26-2006, 09:47 PM   #130
roninroshi

United_States

It's all one taste...

Old 09-07-2006, 08:22 AM   #131
Luc X Saroufim

Quote:
Dmitry Doronin wrote:
Haven't practiced tai chi yet, but from common sense standpoint, when one feels stuck with X, whatever that X is, just doing more X doesn't usually help.
this is certainly true when you're working out muscle groups.

can the same hold true for martial arts? it's an open ended question, and not a dispute to what you're saying.

while what you say makes complete sense, i also keep hearing about how you can never reach perfection in any art.

Old 09-07-2006, 06:10 PM   #132
statisticool
United_States

Here are some important issues Walter has still not addressed from this thread. These are important to clear up, since he makes many claims about taijiquan.

I'm sure with his internal strength expertise he will encounter no problems providing clear and consise answers to each number.

To make it easier on readers, I've provided blanks Walter can simply fill in.

1) What is the relation of this to Yang Chen Fu? What does the title on this page say? http://www.yongniantaiji.com/contents/newpage2.htm What does number 20 say?

The relation to Yang Chen Fu is _______
The title on the page says ______
Number 20 says _____

2) What book says qi is best translated as ground strength as is claimed ( http://www.iay.org.uk/internal-stren.../interview.htm )? What is the title and who is the author?

The title is _______
The author is ________

3) What are actual details re: Fu Zhong Wen laughed re: Zheng? Does one have anything besides a story?

My non-anecdotal evidence is ________

4) What truly skilled martial artists were not allowed to challenge Cheng as is claimed?

5) Where is evidence that Chen Weiming was 'courting favors', as is claimed, as an explanation for him praising Cheng Man-ching's work?

6) Where are all these newspaper clippings, that are claimed exist?

The newspaper clippings can be found at ______

I look forward to reading the answers, which are bound to be educational.

Justin

Old 09-07-2006, 06:29 PM   #133
statisticool
United_States

I've answered all of Hunter's questions in that thread (which has nothing to do with this thread).

Justin

Old 09-07-2006, 07:48 PM   #134
dps

Quote:
Justin Smith wrote:
To make it easier on readers, I've provided blanks Walter can simply fill in.
To make it easier for Walter to answer why don't you make it multiple choice?

Old 09-07-2006, 09:53 PM   #135
Mike Sigman
United_States

See my post #124.

We had a Cheng Man Chinger come to our push-hands group in Boulder. First he hung around the edges at a couple of meets and then gradually did a little bit, but he didn't want anyone to be too competitive. Made it a point that he didn't like a lot of the assholes that got competitive and didn't "feel for the center" and "use complete relaxation"... all the "One with the Tao" stuff. Gradually, he actually began to do some pretty good push-hands and started getting a feel for how to use jin. Became one of the better, regular participants. But an odd thing happened.... as he found out that he could beat people, he suddenly turned into exactly the kind of asshole that he'd originally said he despised... really liked to beat people and do a bit of bullying. No one else of the better players developed that kind of attitude; just him. But it's exactly the kind of mean, nasty behaviour that I've seen so often in Cheng Man Ching people that I've come to expect it, more often than not. Sort of a self-righteous nastiness. Kind of people that would stalk you around the internet while at the same time convince themselves that they're superior dudes.

Mike

Old 09-07-2006, 10:05 PM   #136
statisticool
United_States

Quote:
Walter Sigman wrote:
We had a Cheng Man Chinger come to our push-hands group in Boulder. First he hung around the edges at a couple of meets and then gradually did a little bit, but he didn't want anyone to be too competitive. Made it a point that he didn't like a lot of the assholes that got competitive and didn't "feel for the center" and "use complete relaxation"... all the "One with the Tao" stuff.
Another unverifiable story. Anyone sense a pattern?

Quote:
Sort of a self-righteous nastiness.
All this time I've been thinking what is nasty is those who make claims they have no intention of backing up, especially 3, 4, 5, and 6, which you assert and provide no documentation whatsoever when questioned.

If you make some outlandish claims, and you do along with some regular ones, expect to get questioned on them.

1) What is the relation of this to Yang Chen Fu? What does the title on this page say? http://www.yongniantaiji.com/contents/newpage2.htm What does number 20 say?

The relation to Yang Chen Fu is _______
The title on the page says ______
Number 20 says _____

2) What book says qi is best translated as ground strength as is claimed ( http://www.iay.org.uk/internal-stre...d/interview.htm )? What is the title and who is the author?

The title is _______
The author is ________

3) What are actual details re: Fu Zhong Wen laughed re: Zheng? Does one have anything besides a story?

4) What truly skilled martial artists were not allowed to challenge Cheng as is claimed?

5) Where is evidence that Chen Weiming was 'courting favors', as is claimed, as an explanation for him praising Cheng Man-ching's work?

6) Where are all these newspaper clippings, that are claimed exist?

The newspaper clippings can be found at ______

Justin

Old 09-07-2006, 10:11 PM   #137
akiy

This thread has seemingly degenerated into just the kind of personal attacks that I do not care to see propagated on my site. Thread closed.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Closed Thread