Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-29-2006, 02:43 PM   #26
statisticool
United_States
Re: Aikido Credentials

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
I dunno..... you're going to have to improve on your schtick quite a bit if you have any hope of surpassing Justin Smith for the AikiWeb SPD Award. But's it's interesting to see the top contender from Aikido against Cheng Man Ching's best (and believe me, they have quite a few to draw from).
I'm not the one making claims of people not getting it. Including very questionable ones like 'westerners', etc.

I'm not the one making claims that kokyu/jin, etc.

I'm not the one making veiled threats to show up at peoples' places because they disagree with ones' opinion on taijiqua

I'm not the one pretending that because I have practiced Zheng taijiquan that somehow I am a representative of the style (and indeed, this might probably be the main reason you ask for credentials- certainly yoru history has shown that you've done this before).

I'm not the one demonizing people as cult members, worshipping gods etc, becuse I disagree with their points.

I'm not the one getting quite agitated when a person quotes from published taijiquan and aikido books by recognized masters.

I'm not the one unable to explain how 'unusual strength' is not just one waxing romantic about regular ol' strength, efficient movement, timing, balance, etc.

I'm not the one booted from E-Budo...

But I'm sure you have something left to contribute. Just publish it, get it known and accepted by lots of people, and you're good to go.

Justin

A secret of internal strength?:
"Let your weight from the crotch area BE in his hands."
Old 08-29-2006, 03:40 PM   #27
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo

lololocopter
No one was booted from E-budo Justin.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:02 PM   #28
dps

Quote:
David Orange wrote:
So please, with all due respect, would you just outline here your background in aikido--and any other arts in which you've studied that you'd care to outline. It will clear up a lot of pointless talk.
He did. It didn't.

Trust only movement. Life happens at the level of events not of words. Trust movement. --Alfred Adler
Old 08-29-2006, 05:12 PM   #29
Mashu

Quote:
Robert John wrote:
lololocopter
No one was booted from E-budo Justin.
http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showpost...05&postcount=1

It might have worked but you forgot to add "These aren't the droids you're looking for..."
Old 08-29-2006, 05:53 PM   #30
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Matthew Zsebik wrote:

It might have worked but you forgot to add "These aren't the droids you're looking for..."
Well, as long as someone wants to bring it up, why not ask Peter Goldsbury what happened? Last I remember I presented a position in a debate and suddenly I got a message from the list owner (don't get me wrong... I've been a member of E-Budo for years, but seldom posted until that little flurry because it's sort of a "blue-collar" karate-guys list, IMO). Seems he said something about the "moderators", but I had emails from 4 of them asking what happened. The topic I was engaged in on Peter's thread had to do with assumptions and skews in translations. Unless it's been removed, the non-answered questions, positions, etc., might still be there.

But being banned from someone's list? I don't see what the problem is... many people have many lists (I have one of my own). Sometimes people are removed, hopefully for good reason (hey, though, it's their list). The idea of making a big deal of someone being removed from a particular list though is one of the more childish "nyah-nyah's" I've ever seen. But you can pretty much put in a group the kind of people that make a big deal of something like that.

FWIW

Mike
Old 08-29-2006, 06:00 PM   #31
Mashu

Who knows? Usually they give people a second chance over there though. You didn't happen to say bad things about contractors in Iraq?
Old 08-29-2006, 06:13 PM   #32
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Matthew Zsebik wrote:
Who knows? Usually they give people a second chance over there though. You didn't happen to say bad things about contractors in Iraq?
Oops..... bad thing to talk about, eh??

Nah.... I didn't. And I think the moderators tend to also get personally involved on that forum too much... which was why I never posted on it much in preceeding years.

Think about the topics, that were going on. It was about internal strength issues. It's pretty obvious that there are a lot of instructor-level people in the US, etc., that don't have those skills. Do you think any defensiveness or resentment could come out of those topics if an "instructor" didn't know much about them? Of course... and that's actually a big discussion we've had for years on a few lists. What does a "name" teacher who has, for instance, "written advanced books on the subjects" do when someone indicates that he might be missing something basic? What does that teacher do down the road when he has an "advanced" book that leaves out the basic body skills/mechanics that will be much more widely disseminated in a few years? Would you suggest that they will all act with the best ethics in such a situation? No, of course not.

The "always a student" stuff is bunk, in the real world. Personally, I would be *surprised* if most people didn't get defensive and perhaps let their ethics go to the wind... and I've seen it too often anyway to let it surprise me. And this all gets back to the subject of the thread... "credentials". "Credentials" are a big deal to a lot of people. It's status in the pecking order. That's why I suggested to David Skaggs that he just stick with issues; not personalities, not credentials.

FWIW

Mike
Old 08-29-2006, 06:23 PM   #33
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo

Quote:
Matthew Zsebik wrote:

Wow he was booted!
Well, E-budo's loss if you ask me.
There's a lot of Koryu snobs on there that tend to get offended easily

Actually...considering the japanese I posted towards David on that thread, I'm surprised I didn't get booted myself.

日本フェチなのにろくに日本語わからんやつ多いからなぁ

Last edited by Upyu : 08-29-2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:55 PM   #34
Mashu

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
Of course... and that's actually a big discussion we've had for years on a few lists. What does a "name" teacher who has, for instance, "written advanced books on the subjects" do when someone indicates that he might be missing something basic? What does that teacher do down the road when he has an "advanced" book that leaves out the basic body skills/mechanics that will be much more widely disseminated in a few years?
Ignore it and continue on their chartered course. They can do it because they have enough insulation. They aren't all that way though.

Quote:
The "always a student" stuff is bunk, in the real world. Personally, I would be *surprised* if most people didn't get defensive and perhaps let their ethics go to the wind... and I've seen it too often anyway to let it surprise me. And this all gets back to the subject of the thread... "credentials". "Credentials" are a big deal to a lot of people. It's status in the pecking order.
Sure, people often have a lot personally invested in things and situations and disabusing them of their illusions can be an ugly process and they can get creepy on you. But like you state you've been at this for years and your wake seems to be littered with a lot of wreckage. I like to read these types of forums and I've seen a number of people come on with interesting ideas about Aikido and the martial arts. They all had something they wanted to get done and they all have different ways of doing things. In watching all this I just wondered if you feel your way is the best way and if it's getting done what you want to see done?

"Are my methods unsound?" -Col. Walter E. Kurtz
Old 08-29-2006, 07:24 PM   #35
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Matthew Zsebik wrote:
Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
Of course... and that's actually a big discussion we've had for years on a few lists. What does a "name" teacher who has, for instance, "written advanced books on the subjects" do when someone indicates that he might be missing something basic? What does that teacher do down the road when he has an "advanced" book that leaves out the basic body skills/mechanics that will be much more widely disseminated in a few years?
Ignore it and continue on their chartered course. They can do it because they have enough insulation. They aren't all that way though.
No, I've seen it. A "name" teacher is temporarily insulated within the neophyte world. But I've already seen some "name" guys' reputations bite the dust because of this same controversy in the Chinese Martial Arts. True, there are factions where they still go on believing their own fables, but those factions are limited. It's sort of like the publisher of "T'ai Chi Magazine" asking Yang Zhen Duo back in (IIRC) 1994 if there was such a thing as "peng jing"... and Yang Zhen Duo said it was the basis of Taiji. Some people are still in denial about it, but many others have moved well past that. When you hear some "name" discussed who proved a lack of basic knowledge in what he wrote or said, I've seen just average martial artists shrug and say, "Oh... he didn't know", dismissing him. No one is insulated.
Quote:
Matthew Zsebik wrote:
Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
The "always a student" stuff is bunk, in the real world. Personally, I would be *surprised* if most people didn't get defensive and perhaps let their ethics go to the wind... and I've seen it too often anyway to let it surprise me. And this all gets back to the subject of the thread... "credentials". "Credentials" are a big deal to a lot of people. It's status in the pecking order.
Sure, people often have a lot personally invested in things and situations and disabusing them of their illusions can be an ugly process and they can get creepy on you. But like you state you've been at this for years and your wake seems to be littered with a lot of wreckage. I like to read these types of forums and I've seen a number of people come on with interesting ideas about Aikido and the martial arts. They all had something they wanted to get done and they all have different ways of doing things. In watching all this I just wondered if you feel your way is the best way and if it's getting done what you want to see done?
"Littered with wreckage"? Do you mean that some people don't like me or what I say or what I demonstrate? I don't get the point, frankly. Think about the martial arts in general... do you think most people in the martial arts are knowlegeable or just in them for social/exercise reasons? Would you expect them to have serious views or knowledge? I.e., would you expect that they would agree that they don't know "pretty much everything"? I can't imagine a scenario where "most people" would agree with me about knowledge that is widely acknowledged to be kept mainly secret. For all your "wreckage", though, there are a fair number of people who clinically join in these discussions and who are really interested in the nuts and bolts of martial arts. Do you have some idea that there are consensus views in the martial arts that preclude argument? Have you ever noticed the level of insults that were on this forum before I came here this last time?

Is it the best way? I dunno. Maybe it's better to let people like Rob or Ignatius do it their way. Or Ushiro Sensei. Anyway you cut it, all of them (including me) are essentially forced to say, "look people, there's something else out there that is very interesting and is obviously a strong part of Asian martial arts". It's not just me.

But let's go one step further. Take me, Rob, Dan Harden, Ignatius, Ushiro, etc., out of the picture. Let's take it back 3 years. Nobody knew squat about these things. The question to you is.... was it better when no one had a clue about these things that are actually the core of Aikido (and other arts)? Is that the better scenario... would you prefer that the lack of crucial information continued so that some "teachers", etc., didn't get their feathers ruffled or their knowledge challenged???? Is it better for the art to be neglected so that the personalities get assuaged???? Really?

Or perhaps you disagree with the "presentation" and the "posting style"? I've been there, done that. Been so polite and ingratiating that it was sort of funny. Know what it gets? It gets ignored by the hierarchical pecking order. And if you think about it, that's about what should be expected in a human interaction like this is.

My point time and again is "stick to the issues". Sure there are people who don't like someone's "posting style", etc., but the way to handle that is to debate the issues. What some of these, in my opinion, "jerks", don't realize is that I don't care for them personally either, but I at least have the courtesy not to say it (unless they initiate the exchange) and I try to engage them on the issues. That's about all you can expect on a forum with a lot of people trying to exchange info, though.

Internet forums aren't a good and happy place (well, maybe some of the "peace and love" ones try to pretend), but regardless, some fairly interesting information gets exchanged. Look at what Jun initially wrote about it being an information exchange.... not too bad a job gets done, in actuality.

FWIW

Mike Sigman
Old 08-29-2006, 07:37 PM   #36
statisticool
United_States

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
It's sort of like the publisher of "T'ai Chi Magazine" asking Yang Zhen Duo back in (IIRC) 1994 if there was such a thing as "peng jing"... and Yang Zhen Duo said it was the basis of Taiji.
There are, of course, taijiquan practicioners besides Yang who have different opinions. Practicioners have said relaxation is the basis, listening jin is the basis, qi is the basis, dantien is the basis, and on and on.

Another point is that Yang isn't going around saying that so and so doesn't know taijiquan because they don't use the term peng jin, or saying they are not good at aikido because they don't realize kokyu/jin.

Quote:
, "look people, there's something else out there that is very interesting and is obviously a strong part of Asian martial arts".
Just *what* "something else" is very interesting? Normal strength, efficient movement, timing, balance?

Quote:
Let's take it back 3 years. Nobody knew squat about these things.
You already mentioned that Yang said something about them in 1994.

Quote:
The question to you is.... was it better when no one had a clue about these things that are actually the core of Aikido (and other arts)?
If these are the 'core', say of aikido, then why don't any of the Ueshiba's talk in terms that you do as far as I am aware? Why isn't the term peng jin used in the taijiquan classics, or even in any taijiquan writings over 50 years old (I believe)? I mean, for the "basis", one would think such a fundamental term would be mentioned early on.

Justin

A secret of internal strength?:
"Let your weight from the crotch area BE in his hands."
Old 08-29-2006, 08:20 PM   #37
eyrie

Australia

I can't be certain whether it is my way or the culmination of various bits and pieces I've picked up here and there. Or maybe it was there all the time and I was just too dense to realise it. So I'm going to pull a Ueshiba and say "Takeda Sensei opened my eyes to aikido". For the record, credentials are vastly overrated, not because I have none to speak of, but because we are societally programmed to believe that words on a piece of paper are worth more than the paper itself. I think track record speaks for itself.

Last edited by eyrie : 08-29-2006 at 08:30 PM.

Ignatius
Old 08-29-2006, 11:39 PM   #38
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote:
...credentials are vastly overrated, not because I have none to speak of, but because we are societally programmed to believe that words on a piece of paper are worth more than the paper itself. I think track record speaks for itself.
This is true, but it's not so much paper credentials that anyone was interested in--just where, with whom and for how long Mike trained in aikido. And that question came up because he spoke so adamantly about the subject. Why would anyone be so adamant about a subject in which he really has very little experience?

Pressure on the matter built because whenever anyone asked him what his aikido background was, he just said it didn't matter. He knows people with long backgrounds who are not good. Yet, in other instances, he demanded to know what other people's credentials were. No matter if you had a lot or very little experience, he dismissed it. And STILL, when anyone asked what his own background was in aikido, he avoided the question.

And so this thread came about.

And it turns out that Mike had only eight years of aikido training, ALL under teachers he says "had bits and pieces" and none of whom had "the whole picture." Rather than going on to find a teacher who DID have the whole picture, he moved to Chinese martial arts and has, apparently ever since, tried to explain the higher levels of aikido based on Chinese terms that do not equate to the Japanese concepts he relates them to.

Even this wouldn't be so bad, but whatever the thread or discussion, he enters aggressively, dismisses what people with knowledge of the subject say and goes on about these mismatched theories of his.

I just wanted to get a clearer idea of his basis for saying what he does, so when he invited and begged someone to open this thread, I took the invitation and opened it.

And what you have here is what it is. For what it's worth.

Best wishes.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 08-30-2006, 07:01 AM   #39
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
David Orange wrote:
[[snip some whining and personal stuff about me]]
And it turns out that Mike had only eight years of aikido training,
David, I'm willing to be that my "credentials" are better than yours. Add up the 2 factors I gave and your obvious lack of knowledge about ki and kokyu things. AND I'll be glad to demonstrate. Let me make it clear for you.... when you start talking about "credentials", in an attempt to stuff it to someone, you open up the topic of your own credentials. Don't keep trying to belittle me or my credentials, David. At least don't do it and play self-righteous at the same time.

Mike Sigman
Old 08-30-2006, 09:04 AM   #40
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
David, I'm willing to be that my "credentials" are better than yours.
And I'm willing to bet that you are a lot stronger than I am, but what you "know" simply is NOT aikido and you shouldn't present it as such. The fact is, you have a lot of misconceptions about aikido and a lot of the Japanese terminology you use. Since you don't know any other words for those ideas, you misuse existing terms. That's just not the way to do anything.

Quote:
Mke Sigman wrote:
Add up the 2 factors I gave and your obvious lack of knowledge about ki and kokyu things.
Obvious to you, maybe, but you are misusing the words to refer to something they DO NOT refer to. That's not my problem. It's yours. And it also seems to really irk you that I insist on your using the terms correctly if you're going to use them. That's a shame.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
AND I'll be glad to demonstrate.
Well, when I said that I hoped we could meet as friends, you made it clear that you have no intention of meeting me on a friendly basis. What the hell is that? It sounds like kichigae--a bit of a mental problem. And since that is the case, I'll have to say, "I'm not interested, either."

That being the case, don't even think about showing up at my house unannounced. If you want to meet me, it had better be prearranged on amenable terms. Come around uninvited and it will not be a good scene.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
Let me make it clear for you.... when you start talking about "credentials", in an attempt to stuff it to someone, you open up the topic of your own credentials.
Mike, no one is trying to "stuff it to you." The problem developed just because you talked so much about aikido and refused simply to say where you trained, how long and with whom. You are the one who said that none of your teachers had "the whole picture" or whatever it was, precisely, that you said. But you did say that NONE of them knew aikido completely.

A shodan in aikido is like a high school diploma. Most people get it within four years. You spent eight years with teachers you say did not know the full art. You didn't get a black belt, so it's like you spent eight years in high school and didn't graduate. So you could have gone on and trained with a "good" teacher and, rank or no rank, become qualified to comment. But now almost a quarter century after abandoning aikido without reaching the first level, you want to be seen as an expert on it.

As I've often said, I'm sure you are good at Sigmando or whatever it is you do ("this stuff"), but why call it aikido? That's the whole point. Others have said it too. You obviously have something, but you misrepresent aikido in a way you won't let anyone misrepresent you.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
Don't keep trying to belittle me or my credentials, David. At least don't do it and play self-righteous at the same time.
I've been in epidemiology for almost five years, working with internationally renowned doctors. It only takes about three years to get a PhD in "this stuff". Does six years of experience qualify me for a double PhD?

No. Of course not. And I don't claim it.

I also don't claim any big ranks in aikido. I have simple credentials. I was a mainstay of my old organization from 1975 until the late 1980s, when I went to Japan and became uchi deshi to an uchi deshi of Morihei Ueshiba. And he said "Anta wa aikido wo daibu wakaru." "You pretty well understand aikido." After I came back, I adopted the rank of reidan--Zero Degree--for myself and I have not sought any other rank since then.

If you don't accept what I say about aikido, that's your right. But just because I don't accept what you say about it or your misuse of basic terminology it doesn't amount to "self-righteousness."

Why don't you use some well established physics terms to explain your stuff? Would you get mad at a physicist for calling you on that? Would he be self-righteous to point out your misuse?

If you state your credentials as "several years of judo and karate, eight years of aikido and twenty-odd years of Chinese martial arts, resulting in a personal system of self-defense and biomechanical organization," I would be much more supportive of you.

Regards.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 08-30-2006, 09:21 AM   #41
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
David Orange wrote:
And I'm willing to bet that you are a lot stronger than I am, but what you "know" simply is NOT aikido and you shouldn't present it as such.
Stop. Where did I claim that what I've been discussing is Aikido, David? Why do you deliberately misinterpret what everyone says? Is it some sort of compulsion you have? You haven't even acknowledged the last number of calls for a cite to back up your false claims of what I and other people have said. Now either give a cite or retract. Again.

Mike Sigman
Old 08-30-2006, 09:22 AM   #42
Taliesin

Perhaps we should start the Mike Sigman dictionary for so that those of us who speak English as our first language to understand what Mike means when he uses the following words,

Obvious - Opinion of Mike Sigman on any subject - unlikely to be backed up by evidence, fact, or reason. Simply put if Mike thinks that's how it is - it's obvious.

Dishonest - An interpretation of Mike Sigman's words in a manner he finds inconvenient. (NB: It is irrelevant whether the interpretation is accurate or fair if Mike doesn't like it it's dishonest)

Expert - Mike Sigman

Idiot, Moron, Imbecile etc - Anyone who disagrees with Mike Sigman
Old 08-30-2006, 10:45 AM   #43
dps

Quote:
David Chalk wrote:
Perhaps we should start the Mike Sigman dictionary for so that those of us who speak English as our first language to understand what Mike means when he uses the following words,
Then you could use the dictionary's data base for a software program for translation.

Trust only movement. Life happens at the level of events not of words. Trust movement. --Alfred Adler
Old 08-30-2006, 10:50 AM   #44
Mike Sigman
United_States

Hmmmm.... notice all the personal stuff from David, David, and David? It's cute.

Who is your teacher, David Skaggs? What is his name? Now that we're into credentials, let's hear it. David Chalk... your teacher?

Mike Sigman
Old 08-30-2006, 11:44 AM   #45
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
Hmmmm.... notice all the personal stuff from David, David, and David?
I would be concerned, but every one of us is responding to your own well-demonstrated penchant for personal attacks, dismissal and disrespect. Like Rob and the name thing: he can do it to others, but it hurts when it comes back home.

You're getting it from many angles because you send it out in every direction.

Best to you.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 08-30-2006, 12:00 PM   #46
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
David Orange wrote:
You're getting it from many angles because you send it out in every direction.
Actually, I don't see it coming "from many angles", David. I see it coming only from a very certain type of person. A very narrow angle of people with a certain commonality.

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Old 08-30-2006, 12:08 PM   #47
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
Actually, I don't see it coming "from many angles", David. I see it coming only from a very certain type of person. A very narrow angle of people with a certain commonality.

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Right--idiots: meaning anyone who disagrees with you.

Chalk is in England, a lawyer. I am in Alabama, at a University. I don't know where Skaggs is, but he has on occasion attacked my statements. So could you tell me what the "commonality" is among us--other than that we all have handed you back the superior malarkey you've handed us?

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 08-30-2006, 01:05 PM   #48
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
David Orange wrote:

Chalk is in England, a lawyer. I am in Alabama, at a University. I don't know where Skaggs is, but he has on occasion attacked my statements. So could you tell me what the "commonality" is among us--other than that we all have handed you back the superior malarkey you've handed us?
I guess, even without the clues from a number of others, you still persist in the name-calling and don't see what it indicates, since it's coming from you, David.

Frankly, I think it's interesting. You've come out and stated your views on kokyu and jin in front of a reasonable number of people (some lurking) so that now you've legitimately called Mochizuki's reputation into question.

Skaggs and Chalk and been fairly petty and vicious.... but let's see the names of their instructors. It looks pretty much like Skaggs particularly, but Chalk also probably, would like to insult and belittle someone while shielding their own teacher from ridicule. Hey... if we want to get into ridicule, let's open it up. I suspect that the instructors of Skaggs and Chalk don't really know anything about Aikido, in terms of "credentials", and I'm willing to debate the point. Let's have their names.

If there's name-calling, and Jun has let it go on this long, then I assume it should apply unhypocritically all around and Jun won't suddenly change the rules since he's let it go this long when it went one way. Let's play. Someone needs to let Skaggs' and Chalk's instructor know that these lads are into name-calling and "credential" belittling on an internet forum.

Skaggs.... I'm waiting.

Mike Sigman

Last edited by Mike Sigman : 08-30-2006 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:39 PM   #49
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
Frankly, I think it's interesting. You've come out and stated your views on kokyu and jin in front of a reasonable number of people (some lurking) so that now you've legitimately called Mochizuki's reputation into question.
As I said, Mochizuki Sensei seldom used either "kokyu" or "ki" when he talked about aikido. So any error is mine an mine alone.

Unless it's yours.

David Skaggs has posted his credentials previously. I don't know about Mr. Chalk.

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 08-30-2006, 01:45 PM   #50
dps

Quote:
David Orange wrote:

David
David, I never said nor consider what Mike is saying as "malarkey" any more or any less then I consider what you are saying as "malarkey".

I am not familiar with your style of Aikido or your Senseis. I am familiar with Mike's style (USAF, aikikai) and Yamada Sensei. That is the style I practiced and know what one has to learn and how many hours one has to practice to attain 1st kyu and be close to testing for shodan which is the reason I asked for credentials. Not having studied Tai Chi seriously ( one month 20 years ago) or any of the Chinese Martial Arts, his Aikido credentials gives me a point of reference in trying to understand what he is talking about.
While I don't like his way of dealing with people who disagree with him, I don't like yours either.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!