Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-08-2006, 12:10 PM   #1
Telemere
United_States
Does anyone know . . .

John Johnston?

I have read that he is a very good Aikido instructor but I thought I would toss it out here to see if anyone has heard of him.

This is my first post so please allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Morris and I and a veteran of the 101st Airborne Division. I spent two years in Korea studying Taekwondo and enjoyed the philosophy much more then the actually physical training. Punches and kicks just didn't do it for me.

I examined Judo and thought that might be the route for me but meanwhile I got married and had a wonderful daughter named Madison and completely forgot about the martial arts.

Now its years later and I am thinking I want to show my daughter there is more to life then what she sees in school.

I guess at this point I should also say I am a Buddhist, although not a good one. I still let the stresses of life dictate my actions . . . which is not good.

Anyway I found Aikido and did some web searching on it and said to myself . . . this is it. This is what I want to train my daughter in and it's what I want to explore as well.

My daughter was involved in Karate for about a year and she hated it cause the sensei was more concerned with training them to fight then he was with training the philosophy of mind and body together.

Anyway I am rambling here so I'll' just shut up and listen to you folks.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:34 PM   #2
Telemere
United_States
Re: Does anyone know . . .

Hummm no response make me sad . . .
Old 08-08-2006, 12:37 PM   #3
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

You've only given it 20 minutes...be patient grasshopper...

Patience is a what?

VIRTUE

Best,
Ron (I'm sure someone who knows the gentleman in question will be along shortly)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 08-08-2006, 12:43 PM   #4
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

There are a lot of good aikido dojos in your area. Visit them with your daughter, watch a class, and you will be closer to an answer. in gassho
Old 08-08-2006, 12:45 PM   #5
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.

Give a little more information on the question beyond just a name. In what city, what affiliation and what do you want to know about them and why.

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
Old 08-08-2006, 12:47 PM   #6
Telemere
United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
You've only given it 20 minutes...be patient grasshopper...

Patience is a what?

VIRTUE

Best,
Ron (I'm sure someone who knows the gentleman in question will be along shortly)
LOL yeah I know. . . "patience" The only reason I broke like that is because I am comming from a BBS system where the threads fly by like there is no tomarrow.

Thanks for the insight.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:50 PM   #7
Telemere
United_States

Quote:
Dennis Hooker wrote:
Give a little more information on the question beyond just a name. In what city, what affiliation and what do you want to know about them and why.
Here is the link . . . http://www.aikidoofannapolis.com/

I want to know if his resume is accurate, I am speaking to him now via email and I am getting the feeling he is exactly what he says he is.

I just wanted to get your feelings on it as well.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:14 PM   #8
Dennis Good
United_States

I've only met him and trained at his place once. He is a very nice and welcoming person. He also worked out with the students, not just instructed. I know people that have trained with him for some time and hold him in high reguard. I have no verification on his resume but I have no reason to doubt it. From what I've seen it is a fine place to train.

Dennis
Old 08-08-2006, 01:23 PM   #9
Telemere
United_States

Quote:
Dennis Good wrote:
I've only met him and trained at his place once. He is a very nice and welcoming person. He also worked out with the students, not just instructed. I know people that have trained with him for some time and hold him in high reguard. I have no verification on his resume but I have no reason to doubt it. From what I've seen it is a fine place to train.

Dennis

Thank you, I look forward to some other folks insight.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:19 AM   #10
Sadez

Dojo: Old City Aikido
United_States

Do some research on the schools in your area, make sure there are going to have class times that will fit your schedule. Then call them, and see if you can observe some classes.
That's what I did. I ended up going to the same dojo three weeks, observing one class a week. I talked with some of the students and the instructors. I found I like the dojo, the atmosphere and I just got to the point I just had to get on the mat.

You will know the right dojo when you see it. Just trust your instincts.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:15 PM   #11
Eric Webber
Dojo: Aikido West Reading
United_States

There's some very good dojos in that area, check them out and meet the instructors and students in person. If your daughter is going to train at the dojo, as well, take her and have her meet the instructor(s), she can give you some insight on the people and the space (children have wonderful intuition at times). Good luck in your search, welcome to aikido.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:36 PM   #12
MikeLogan

United_States

I've met and trained with a woman who may still train there. She also regularly trained down in Silver Spring, Capital Aikikai, at least as of last year, which has a fine children's class. I don't know much about Aikido-of-Annapolis beyond my interaction with the aforementioned, but I do know I've recommended the place to one aikidoka friend looking for a nearby dojo, and for one very close non-aikido friend, whom I should like to give a favorable impression of the art. So in short, I haven't been there, but from the little I've seen it should be worthwhile. Give it a look see, and try the dojo search to the left of this screen, first listing under Databases, or click it right here. dojo search

happy hunting.

michael.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:05 PM   #13
Mark Mueller

Check out George Meyer at the Naval Academy....Great teacher and you will have a bunch of healthy, respectful middies to toss around!
Old 08-14-2006, 03:19 PM   #14
Jack Simpson
Dojo: Western Maryland Aikikai - Frederick, Maryland
Location: hangin' with the tengu in the "mountains" of Maryland

Yep, I know John and have the utmost respect for him. His resume is what he says it is. Can't go wrong training with him, and you'll have alot of fun as well. Depending on where you live, you might also consider Darrell and Donna at Southern Maryland Aikido Center, located in Waldorf, Maryland. We're all SOC's (students of Clyde) and have spend lots o' time pounding on one another at Capital Aikikai.

As stated earlier, visit any and all in your area, as logistics, class times, commutes, etc, play a big role. Have fun and train hard.

Here are various web pages to help (or just confuse the issue .

Capital Aikikai

SMAC

Annapolis

and if you get really lost, you can come by my dojo....
WMA

Cheers,
Jack

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!