Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-19-2006, 01:24 PM   #51
Jeremy Hulley
Dojo: Seattle School of Aikido Shinto Ryu/Seattle Icho Ryu
Re: Aikido and Tattoos

Drinking before being tatooed is pretty bad form. It can make you bleed lots depending on how much...
Suck it up and practice breathing...
Relax and keep one point..
REallly...

Jeremy Hulley
Shinto Ryu Iai Battojutsu
Tuesday Night Bad Budo Club
Old 07-19-2006, 02:28 PM   #52
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States

Quote:
Jeremy Hulley wrote:
D
Relax and keep one point..
REallly...
Hey, shouldn't this be in that other thread?
Old 07-19-2006, 03:07 PM   #53
Faith Hansen

Dojo: Midwest Center for Movement
United_States

Yes the alcohol can thin out your blood and tend to make you bleed more. Generally tattoo artists will not tattoo you if you are intoxicated. I like to have something in my hands to squeeze when I am being tattooed. Yeah, and breathing does help alot!

-Faith
Old 07-19-2006, 03:15 PM   #54
Guilty Spark

United_States

Both my other tattoos took around 6 hours, thats a long time to hold my breath

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend
Old 07-20-2006, 07:01 AM   #55
Mato-san
Iceland

yeah the blood gets thin after drinking and I know that the contract you sign before being stuck states no drinking, but in my case and I am no tattoo artist I believe it is my best and most detailed tatt ,also it holds its tone nicely compared to others, it has not been exposed to sun but has been burnt with naked flame and still holds up nice. I will take my hat off to the man who "holds one point" throughout this kind of tatt. Bad form and all I like my tatt and have no shame in saying I needed beer to do it right.

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!
Old 07-21-2006, 12:48 AM   #56
Guilty Spark

United_States

I'm not sure if I'm allowed posting pictures in threads? If not then I'll remove it.
Took painkillers an hour before going but had to come back a few hours later so they wore off. You can really feel it on the ribs too

Last edited by Guilty Spark : 07-21-2006 at 12:53 AM.

Old 07-21-2006, 05:31 AM   #57
Lee Mulgrew
Dojo: Dynamic Aikido Noquet Hartlepool England
United Kingdom

I have "masagtsu a gatatsu" (fairly sure that the spelling is wrong there ) down the entire length of my right thigh (i kow the kanji is right as was from a buddhist text). No one can see it unless I wear shorts and it helps to remind me of what is important to me. I think these things are important if you get a personal tattoo..... you either want it to look cool for other people (nothing wrong with that) or you want something that means something personal to you. In my case, not many people with my tattoo but I got it as a constant reminder of how to live my life. I have plans for many other tattoos that will be purely decrotive but you i think that you have to be very carefull about where you place them
Old 07-21-2006, 06:07 PM   #58
Xamien

United_States

I've got only one tattoo on my left shoulder. It's fairly high up so it only gets seen if I'm shirtless or wearing a tank top. It's just the word "Clarity" written in my language.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:30 PM   #59
Faith Hansen

Dojo: Midwest Center for Movement
United_States

Pic of my yet uncompleted back piece, but here is what I have so far. The symbol in the middle is a version of my name. The seven virtues are around it, the 7th one on my right shoulder is hard to see in this photo. The flowers are Sakura (cherry blossoms). What is missing is the wind/shading effect that will tie it all together.

[IMG][/IMG]

And my other one on my belly. Ki. Calligraphy by O'Sensei.

[IMG][/IMG]

-Faith
Old 07-21-2006, 08:37 PM   #60
Guilty Spark

United_States

Thats an amazing tattoo. Hope we get to see it when it's done.

Old 07-22-2006, 06:05 AM   #61
Mato-san
Iceland

Looks good grant! Looks tender too. You know what I said when then needle bounces off the ribs huh! Wecome to the family! Like your work too faith. I would put up my tatts but they are not aikido related and it may be bounced. I will say that I am looking into some horimono/irezumi artists here in Japan to get my next Job, but it is not going to be cheap and the art will be something else (and of course budo related).

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!
Old 07-24-2006, 01:23 AM   #62
koz

Dojo: Kaiso Dobun Kenkyukai
New Zealand

Indirectly related....

If you're getting kanji tattoos, make sure the tattoo artist gets them the right way around. Some time ago I saw a young man proudly wearing visible kanji for heaven, earth, fire and water except that they were reversed (as in a mirror image).

Clearly neither the wearer, nor the artist, had any idea.

True mastery can be gained
by letting things go their own way.

Lao Tzu - Tao Te Ching, Ch48
Old 04-27-2014, 11:05 PM   #63
Sojourner
Australia

Quote:
Grant Wagar wrote: View Post
I've seen someone with that tattooed on the palm of their hand, the aikido circle, only their was a dot in the center of it. never understood what the dot represented.
Its also a Masonic symbol, it means the fourth part of the circle, the point from which a master mason cannot err. It has a direct parallel with Aikido because of the same philisophy of remaining centred within the circle and pretty much for the same reasons!
Old 04-28-2014, 10:15 AM   #64
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

I had a small dragon tattoo done while I was on R&R in Okinawa from Vietnam. Over the years it faded and lost it's definition. Many years later a tattoo artist who was a friend of a friend told me he could refresh it and make it look new. The tattoo was on my right calf and was seldom seen, but I still valued it because of the good fortune it implied (and apparently worked too, since I didn't end up with any extra holes in my body). When he was done, the darned thing looked like a green pug dog and was horrible. I decided to have it removed and learned that it was going to take months and months of many sessions and would be horribly expensive and horribly painful. I decided to just live with it.

Then the various tattoo shows began showing on TV and I saw how old tattoos could be covered with new ink. After a great deal of searching I found a local artist who could do the job. I gave him a copy of one of my wife's pastel paintings of a samurai warrior. He was able to convert it into a more tattoo friendly design and eleven and a half hours later, the dragon was completely concealed.

A couple of months later I returned to the same artist with our dojo stamp and had him place it on the inside of the calf and it looks exactly like a stamping on formal documents from our dojo. Unless I'm wearing shorts, the tattoos aren't visible, so they don't present any problem, but I haven't tried visiting any Japanese baths either. No regrets and my dragon is still there, hidden away but still protective.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!