Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-17-2006, 11:02 AM   #26
dps
Re: Big Aikido vs Small Aikido

Large movements are easier to learn and can be effective, if you have the room to use them. Small movements are easier to learn if you learn the large movements first. Small movements are easier to use no matter how much room you have to use them.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:48 AM   #27
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

The advanced levels of Daito ryu are mostly small circles. With big circles, you tend to use your center along with your whole body. With small circles, you still use your center but without the large body movement.
Also, I remember Hiroshi Ikeda Sensei saying at the first Aiki Expo that in the beginning, the movements are large but as you advance, they should get smaller and smaller until they almost disappear.
Best,

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 05-18-2006, 04:08 AM   #28
Mato-san
Iceland

Josh and Chuck, sorry I mean to say everything bigger , all circles, run into the waza or grab. Make every aspect bigger.
Took the words out of my mouth Josh with the comment on jumping half way across the dojo. Also put words in my mouth with the "motto ookiku".

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!
Old 05-18-2006, 05:10 AM   #29
Mato-san
Iceland

I can see that bigger is better for learning and finding holes or flaws in the waza (good points) ,small is good for the true aiki aspect. Another thing that comes to mind is the realistic portion of the kata, every attacker in the street will not always just walk up and grab your wrist or lapel, sometimes they will be advancing at you at speed and I believe, IMHO (is my hair ok) that big is better here, small is the other side of the coin. I definately have taken something away from this thread thank you all.

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!
Old 05-18-2006, 06:26 AM   #30
dps

From what I can see of it, hair looks fine.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:26 AM   #31
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

In Korindo Aikido, we aspire to make the circles as small as possible. This has a practical aspect, one may not expect to consistently take two steps as Tori while Uke has only stepped once. The movement should come from the center and use the whole body yet remain small.

Given the progress of learning, beginners are allowed to make larger movements and even encouraged to act so, if it would make them use their body better. AS a student advances, he will reduce the number of steps he need in a technique, and learn to utilize his body better. This is enhanced by Korindo Aikido circular Tai-Sabaki that had been developed especially for this purpose - learning to harmonize movement and applying base don the waist and from the center. Already at mid levels, many techniques require only a single step - towards Uke, and the rest is done while Tori remains in place, and Uke finds himself circling around him (the higher the level of both, the shorter the movement).

Amir
Old 05-18-2006, 06:13 PM   #32
ikkitosennomusha

Fumio Toyoda-shihan believed in big aikido. This means his movements were big and round. He was very fluid and powerful!
Old 05-23-2006, 07:19 AM   #33
Mato-san
Iceland

That explains alot Brad as the very Aikido I practice has its roots from Tochigi. But can see both sides of the coin. If you have not already seen this check it out Brad.
http://www.aaa-aikido.com/teachers/toyoda.html

Old 07-18-2006, 10:24 AM   #34
Mato-san
Iceland

(first of all Jun if you hear me pls help me change my name from mato-san to mat because I am a discrace the ppl with a username like that from what I have been told) Now lets bring some substance into this thread.

The defence to the attack may be big or small, we have a shomenuchi ikkyo irimi fluid progress to tenkan(can be done big or small) and obvious small is the objective here provided it is done well, but a big waza like munetsuki kotegaeshi,personally I am not looking for small here until we reach the kotegaeshi then rather twist it out in a breakfall big aiki type waza bring that wrist well into your centre for small and effective kotegaeshi (that is the best small) but again just lil me stating my opinion!

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.