Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-16-2006, 06:18 PM   #1
David Mullin
Akido vs Escrima

I am new to the site and found it by a thread of the same name.
I studied Akido for about a year before I moved. I have about 3 years of escrima training under a student of Mr Inasonto, and went to a seminar with that dojo put on by Master Giron. He was about 78 years old at the time, his book is a discussion of his life in the jungle with the escrimadors that fought the Japanese during WW2. One would think those guys new a bit about Kenjitsu. His comments were the Katana was no match for the Largo Mano (long Hand) style. It used a 36"-38" long stick, usualy only one with or without a knife in the other hand. The range factor was reducedby the length of the stick and a fire hardended ratan stick of those days was nothing compared to the junk for sale now. The triangle footwork and passing blocks will get one out of the center very nicely.This old man had the nicest ratan stick I have ever laid eyes on as a walking stick. If anyone is interested I will dig out my copy of his book for the exact tile.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:23 PM   #2
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX
Re: Akido vs Escrima

Cool ! .....I really respect the Escrimadores....none around here tho.
I would love to see the book.
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 05-16-2006, 08:28 PM   #3
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

For what's worth, the katana used during WW2 weren't very good. They were mass produced and the quality was not the main point. They were more for ceremonial reasons and just getting the job done.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:20 PM   #4
SeiserL

United_States

I trained in FMA/JKD with the late Ted Lucaylucay 20 years ago. Still do a seminar or two a year. I love the smell of burning rattan.

I've been training in Aikido for 11+ years now. Love it too.

There is no "vs", only "and".

Welcome.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 05-17-2006, 07:17 AM   #5
philippe willaume

United Kingdom

Hello

In all fairness, the same could be said about cavalry saber still worn by occidental officer at the same period of time. It is my understanding that kenjustu was not that much practiced by the vast majority of the officer and NCO, (kendo seems to have been more popular).
As early as the 16th century, most of the European fencing master believed a single cut and thrust sword to be superior to a sword and something (cloak, other sword, dagger, cape, mail glove or lantern).
The use of a secondary weapon seems to have remained in usage a little bit longer with the rapier but the rapier is mainly a civilian weapon, and is not very well designed to cut (except may be for the early model which were really cut and thrust swords).

I am not too sure it is so much a matter of the weapon; I believe it is more about who uses it.

philippe
Old 05-17-2006, 09:01 AM   #6
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Philippe Willaume wrote:
I am not too sure it is so much a matter of the weapon; I believe it is more about who uses it.
Total agreement.

Ikeda Shihan likes to say that it isn't Aikido that doesn't work, its your Aikido that doesn't work. His works just fine.

Any technique or weapon is only as good as the person who applies it.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 05-17-2006, 01:00 PM   #7
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

I want carbon fiber sticks! Gotta get with the times!
Old 05-17-2006, 07:12 PM   #8
Jonathan Lewis

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
I want carbon fiber sticks! Gotta get with the times!
Ha!!! I actuall have a pair given to me by a student who worked on satallites. They are scrap pieces from the spars that hold solar collectors. You need them because you do not feel an vibration in your hand when you strike but sure do feel it on the other end. It's kind of like a dead-blow hammer.
On the other hand you can't really train with them cause you tend to break the other persons sticks which is a pain in the a. and you tend to hurt your partner more with light or accidental blows. On top of that, they are still just sticks.
One of my favorite things is that you can buy telescoping titanium walking sticks at places like REI for around a $100.00. - or you could get a pice of bamboo that is stronger, lighter, and more comfortable to hold, especially in sub zero weather. Or you could go outside and find a stick, then not have to carry it back home with you after your hike.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:23 AM   #9
GLWeeks
Dojo: Aikido Society of Memphis
United_States
Re: Aikido vs Escrima

These are pretty sweet... Hardly any vibration.... Virtually indestructible...

http://www.stickman-escrima.com/Products/Hits.htm

Old 05-23-2006, 11:43 AM   #10
NixNa

Sounds like a good book, what's the title? Never seen any escrima vs. katana clips, but in all due respect, i still think it'll be really fun to watch one.

Oh ya just thought i'll add this, the stickman sticks sound cool. I play the drums and im always fascinated with music and martial arts come together. Yea baby!

Last edited by NixNa : 05-23-2006 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:21 PM   #11
David Mullin

The book is called
"Memories ride the ebb of the tide"
the publisher is in Stocton, CA
On the quality of the swords during WWII, there were a lot of ancient family blades put into new fittings for the war, as a matter of fact the Japanese government has made a big push to find old blades that came to the states after the war.
Besides no matter how "poorly" made those blades where, will you stand and take a shot from one, I don't think so. A crappy blade with a fair edge will cut you up too. It may not hold the edge, or survie the war but at the moment it is a problem you have to deal with.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:32 PM   #12
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Heck I was just half kidding about the carbon fiber thing! Looks like others have already been there done that! Cool! Need to get me a pair. I think Rattan or Bamboo would be a better wieght, balance though.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:39 PM   #13
NixNa

Thanks Dave, im gonna get that one. Did a swipe on amazon.com though, its out of print huh?

On the quality of the blades - there were some photos i saw way back in my history classes, in which japanese soldiers were shown decapitating the local chinese (Singapore, aka "Syonan-to" in Jap.) . Although they were mass produced, im pretty sure the Kempeitai didnt have much trouble slicing bodies with them.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:45 AM   #14
CNYMike
Dojo: Finger Lakes Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
Heck I was just half kidding about the carbon fiber thing! Looks like others have already been there done that! Cool! Need to get me a pair. I think Rattan or Bamboo would be a better wieght, balance though.
Guro Kevin Seaman, my first Kali instructor, makes them; they last for freakin' ever. In fact, I believe he makes the sticks the Dog Brothers use. Here is his web site:

http://www.ewmaa.com

Disregard the street address, though; it's for his old academy which has been closed for almost three years.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:46 AM   #15
CNYMike
Dojo: Finger Lakes Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote:
I trained in FMA/JKD with the late Ted Lucaylucay 20 years ago. Still do a seminar or two a year. I love the smell of burning rattan.

Amen.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:05 AM   #16
mazhar dardari
Dojo: Aikido Dardari Ryu Academy (Bushido)
Syria

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote:

Welcome.
it is very good answer

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!