Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-06-2006, 05:18 AM   #26
dps
Re: Enlightenment and Self-Actualization

Quote:
Steve Morabito wrote:
Mark,
So for me, I'm thinking that I need to work to become self-actualized, and set the stage for enlightenment to simply happen. So, I'm thinking that for my own development, enlightenment might be an additional layer on top of the pyramid of Maslow's Hierarchy.
Thanks,
Steve
One of the higher levels on Maslow's triangle is Spiritual Health.
At the following link is a picture of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs triangle.

http://www.imagineworldhealth.org/be...lth/maslow.htm

Last edited by dps : 05-06-2006 at 05:22 AM.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:39 AM   #27
Narda
United_States

Before enlightenment is the understanding of Original nature. After enlightenment, awakening to an understanding of Duality.

Self realization is an internal recognition of one's Buddha nature/god self...experiencing 'unity' in a different fashion.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:59 AM   #28
roosvelt
Canada

Noble Eightfold Path

1. Samyag-dṛṣṭi Sammā-diṭṭhi -- Right Understanding / Right View / Right Perspective:

2. Samyak-saṃkalpa Sammā-saṅkappa -- Right Thought / Right Intention / Right Resolve / Right Aspiration

3. Samyag-vāc Sammā-vācā -- Right Speech

4. Samyak-karmānta Sammā-kammanta -- Right Action

5. Samyag-ājīva Sammā-ājīva -- Right Livelihood

6. Samyag-vyāyāma Sammā-vāyāma -- Right Effort / Right Endeavour

7. Samyak-smṛti Sammā-sati -- Right Mindfulness

Just copied from a web site. I'm not enlighted. I don't exactly how it works.

8. Samyak-samādhi Sammā-samādhi -- Right Concentration
Old 05-12-2006, 09:11 AM   #29
roosvelt
Canada

" To achieve Supreme Enlightenment (i.e., to be rid of all afflictions, to discard all sediments) is the ultimate goal. Only then can he completely trust his mind and actions. Before then, he should adhere to the precepts, keep a close watch on his mind and thoughts, like a cat stalking a mouse, ready to pounce on evil thoughts as soon as they arise."

I'm not qualified to comment on delitghtment. But I think the statement is not correct.

"The fifth patriarch of the Buddhist Ch'an school, which later became famous as the Zen school in Japan, had to appoint a successor. Fellow disciples encouraged Shen-hsiu, the foremost among them, to compose a poem and stake his claim.

He pinned the following to a tree: The body is the tree of awakening/The mind is like a clear mirror/Be unceasingly diligent in wiping and polishing it/So that it will be without dust. Shen-hsui used the mirror metaphor to affirm the original purity of the mind. Dust, in the form of klesa, or defilement, distorted the tathata or suchness of the mind. Daily vigilance was thus required to preserve the Buddha-nature.

At the same school was a novice monk named Hui-neng, who used to pound rice. In the middle of the night, he composed a rejoinder and pinned it next to Shen-hsiu's poem. Hui-neng wrote: Awakening entails no tree at all/Nor does the clear mirror entail any material frame/The Buddha-nature is essentially pure/Where could there be any dust?

The fifth Patriarch recognised the genius of the rice-pounder. Hui-neng had negated the assumption of the 'self' in bodhi or awakening. If indeed Buddha-nature is clear and bright, should the person not see through the duality of ignorance and enlightenment, defilement and purity?'

There is a big diffference between "kill evil thought" and "purify your thought such that there is no evil thought".
Old 05-15-2006, 07:52 AM   #30
Narda
United_States

It is pretty simple: have faith in the precepts, and practice them. Or, to put it another way, stuck in samsara you can't think your way to perfection...you have to work at it.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:09 PM   #31
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
Lynn,

Do you think you must ascend through Maslov Hierarchy (self actualization) in order to achieve enlightment. It got me to thinking. Can one be born enlightened, or can one become enlightened without actively seeking it or realizing it?

Thanks!
Hi Kevin,
Traditional Buddhism had a term for people who were spontaneously Enlightened without actually following the path of Buddhism. They were called Pratyeka Buddhas (I can't remeber what the Sanskrit literally meant).

Usually this unusual occurrence would be explained as the result of many past life times of spiritual achievement so that, in a sense one could still say that one did need to go through some sort of gradual process, moving up the hierarchy so to speak, to get to the point at which one was ready to understand.

Later Buddhism, especially Zen, tended to downplay the progression idea and focus on Enlightenment in the immediate. In what became the Rinzai Zen approach, Sudden Enlightenment became one of the core concepts. It focused on the idea that, since we are all Enlightened already and only ignorance of this fact stands between us and this realization it is possible to simply "let go" of our illusions in any instant.

The Soto Zen folks eschewed any emphasis on gradation or hierarchy at all. Once again, since we are all already Enlightened (this is part of pretty much all Mahayana Buddhism) Dogen, the most famous exponent of Soto Zen, emphasized shikan taza or "just sitting". He felt that simply sitting with ones complete attention WAS Enlightenment.

O-Sensei's view on this, to the extent that I understand it would have a little of each. Misogi or purification has a bit of the graded process in it. One gets increasingly purified through practice and thereby becoming increasingly aligned with the Will of the Kami.

But also we have the concept of Katsu Hayabi which is sometimes translated as "instant victory". In the martial, technical sense this means that we have won an encounter at the instant of contact. But in the spiritual sense it seems to be similar to the Rinzai concept of sudden Enlightenment in which you can choose to let go of your "stuff" in this very instant. So the victory would be victory over ones false self.

O-Sensei's view, as near as I can tell, of what Aikido practice should be is that it is similar to how Dogen saw "just sitting". The doing of Aikido technique with full attention would on some level manifest the Divine Principles and put one in accord with the Will of the Kami. If one actually managed to attain a "perfect" technique, I think that would mean that one was by definition Enlightened. Anyway, that's my understanding of the issue.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 05-23-2006, 02:19 PM   #32
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote:
O-Sensei's view on this, to the extent that I understand it would have a little of each. Misogi or purification has a bit of the graded process in it. One gets increasingly purified through practice and thereby becoming increasingly aligned with the Will of the Kami.
But also we have the concept of Katsu Hayabi which is sometimes translated as "instant victory". In the martial, technical sense this means that we have won an encounter at the instant of contact. But in the spiritual sense it seems to be similar to the Rinzai concept of sudden Enlightenment in which you can choose to let go of your "stuff" in this very instant. So the victory would be victory over ones false self.
O-Sensei's view, as near as I can tell, of what Aikido practice should be is that it is similar to how Dogen saw "just sitting". The doing of Aikido technique with full attention would on some level manifest the Divine Principles and put one in accord with the Will of the Kami. If one actually managed to attain a "perfect" technique, I think that would mean that one was by definition Enlightened. Anyway, that's my understanding of the issue.
On these points, I cannot recommend highly enough David Valadez's re-translation of O-Sensei's "Kannagra no Jutsu" posted in the Columns section this month. If anyone here has not already read it, you should -- several times, at least. I know I have and will continue to do so.

Cordially,
Erick Mead
Old 05-23-2006, 03:11 PM   #33
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Thanks for the reply George! Great info.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!