Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-10-2006, 05:52 AM   #26
DmG

Dojo: Southern Maryland Aikido Center
United_States
Re: Children in the Dojo

Quote:
Steve Mullen wrote:
From my very limited experience i think it makes you look at your own technique in more detail when you have to explain it to someone who maybe cant make the mental connections that an adult can (by which i mean work out for themselves what you have said) so you have to be bang on otherwise they just plain don't get it.
Actually....I find that kids, because they do not have any preconcieved notions, often make the mental connections long before adult beginners!

I started teaching kids when we opened our own club....and - even now - I underestimate them. I'll think that they'll only get one or two techniques....and then the class is only 1/2 over....so I have to rapidly think of things to do.

I had 5 kids on the mat last night 10 minutes before class. All of them started practicing rolls. No one told them to do it...they just started doing it! Kids love to tumble, they love to compete in a genuine and good manner, they love it when they can feel powerful (I had one 11 year old girl...a tiny thing....discover that if she dropped during a throw, that she could really throw my husband really far....she laughed about it all night and told me it was her favorite thing that she had done so far).

I don't force my adults to train with the kids, but I do encourage them. It benefits the kids, and it benefits the adults. (Kids can be tricky, so your technique has to be spot on...and as someone already pointed out....your suwari waza can improve tremendously!)

My husband was initially against kids in our dojo (we don't have any kids ourselves), but his mind has changed since we have been teaching them....like me, he's continuously amazed at what they can do!

DmG
Old 05-10-2006, 08:53 AM   #27
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

On mini-nage- one of our twelve-year-olds has figured out that it is to her advantage to practice shihonage in hamni handachi. Even I have to practically kneel to grab her wrist.
Both kids at Monday night seemed to be over-wired and decided it was time to "take me down". Who taught them reversals when I wasn't looking?

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 05-10-2006, 08:55 AM   #28
mickeygelum

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States

In our dojo , We welcome children...mostly in the family aspect..We do not turn anyone away....training should be geared at the simplest level... all can interact and learn from each viewpoint...
Old 05-15-2006, 07:13 AM   #29
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

When I teach martial arts to kids, I chose not to teach them aikido in most cases.

First I like to teach them to kick, punch, yell, wrestle, and strike fun poses. Aikido can come later.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:58 AM   #30
pcallen

Our dojo is located in a local YMCA so from time to time we have kids that sign up. Only one has stuck with it for any serious time.

I find that training with Andrew (now 13, 11 when he started) really makes you think about being technically precise. He is much more flexible than any of the adults and therefor has a real flair for keishi (sp?).

The problem that he created by staying was one of testing. There was no children's curriculum and no other children to use as nage. This problem was solved by having him test as an adult with adults. Visiting aikidoka from Chicago and Nashville described his rokkyu test as one of the best and most self confident that they have ever witnessed.

His maturity level is better than many adults that have walked through the door (especially the idiot, oops I mean student, who told us to really crank it on because he had soooo much experience in martial arts - two months here, two months there etc.)

The only other problem is trying to make sure that he doesn't get left out of the social scene, that we have some get togethers where the primary consumption is not alchoholic in nature.

"If the bird will not sing...wait."

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!