Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-12-2006, 11:54 PM   #26
justinc
Dojo: Enso Center, Redmond
Australia
Re: Water during practise

Always allow drinking in our school. Most have waterbottles they bring to class, and there's a fridge with bottled water/fruit juice as well as a handy tap. If you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated. Even in non-hot environments, an hour's hard practice can loose enough water to make you pretty seriously dehydrated, which obviously increases risk of injury. A couple of mouthfuls of water during class can be quite useful is staving off dehydration.

Justin Couch
Student of life.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:51 PM   #27
Rocky Izumi
Dojo: GUST Aikido Club
Kuwait

I force my students to have a water break but everyone breaks at the same time. Sometimes, a student will have to remind me when I get too involved in teaching something. I'm used to the tropics but even I sometimes get myself over-dehydrated and almost collapse during some types of exertion in the sun. So I know how bad dehydration can affect the body. Even though the practices in the dojo are in not in the sun you can still get extremely dehydrated just from the sweating. The couple times I have almost collapsed with high blood pressure from lack of hydration were in situations in high humidity under dense foliage -- no sun (once was even at night). I have also been so dehydrated during an Aikido summer camp (admittedly after drinking all night and dehydrating myself) that I ended up with leg cramps and that is from a guy that is used to dehydration from working in the desert or in a jungle. It cut my Aikido practice time and teaching time -- a waste of time.

If you want to have a good extreme Aikido practice, make sure your students bring their own water bottles and hydrate themselves during practice. My view is if the students aren't requiring hydration during practice, then they aren't practicing hard enough. I want to see them having to wring their gis out after practice.

Rock
Old 05-13-2006, 07:57 PM   #28
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

We have two hour classes with a scheduled break between the first and second hour to grab a drink.
Each class. (After all today is 102 degrees here in sunny West Texas, although, sadly, no class this weekend)
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 05-14-2006, 06:13 PM   #29
RoyK
Dojo: Nishin Kan
Israel

In my dojo we have a hour and a half class plus 15 minutes of working out afterwards, and the instructor doesn't allow to drink during class (unless it's an emergency). He says in Russia they were taught that drinking during excercise weighs you down, since most ppl over drink.
At first it was hard for me to get used to it, since I drank allot when i was working out at the gym, but now I'm used to it (drink before class) and I also find that there is some truth in what he was taught.

Drinking water during excercise gives me the hicups
Old 05-14-2006, 07:12 PM   #30
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States

During aikido, my sensei usually gives us a 2-3 minute water break if we are training really hard or if it's really hot. If we're not training that hard or if its not hot , he usually doesn't give us a break, but if we ask to get a drink he will always let us. The breaks that he gives us don't really take away from class time at all. We are pretty quick about it and he's sure that we don't waste time. I think that breaks are good, because it just gives u a minute to catch your breath and cool down, and then when you get back on the mat, you are re-focused and ready to go.

Also, during his seminars, which usually last about 3 hours, he will bring pieces of fruit and things like that to keep us energized which i think is very thoughtful and not at all disrespectful or anything.

The other art i take, shaolin, is very different from aikido. The atmosphere is very informal and people are just going back and forth to their water bottles all night. Shaolin though, is very strenuous and exhausting. Every class i pour sweat and my shirt gets soaking wet. At an average shaolin practice i can go through 1 1/2 - 2 bottles of water, and thats for a 2 - 2 1/2 hour class. Sometimes i really wonder if i'm overdoing it but i haven't had any problems from drinking that much water yet, and like i said , if i'm sweating that much , i can hardly help from just guzzling it down.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:43 PM   #31
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo

Honestly, I don't even understand why this is an issue
Old 05-15-2006, 11:42 AM   #32
DonMagee
United_States

One important thing to note. You should try to drink the water as close to room temperature as you can stand. The colder the water is, the greater the chance it will upset your stomach, and the longer it will take to hydrate you.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!