Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-28-2006, 05:13 PM   #1
merlynn

Dojo: lone pine ryu school of aiki kyusho jujutsu ,woking & guildford
United Kingdom
kids in aikido

ok so i have had many funny moments with my daughter whilst training with her!!!!!!!! so has any body had any thing amusing happen with kids

some things are so dear and so precious you have to let them go
Old 04-28-2006, 11:28 PM   #2
wmreed

Dojo: Columbus Aikikai
United_States
Re: kids in aikido

One of the first times my children students were tested they were doing this weird thing in the middle of shihonage. As they twisted under the arm of uke, every single one of them would kneel and then stand up. Even those who were already short enough to do this part without even bending their knees!

Suddenly, I realized that because _I_ was so much taller, I had been kneeling as I demonstrated this technique to them for all those weeks. They had intuitively picked up on it, and I had somehow not focused on it until testing.

Boy did I feel like a jackass.

William M. Reed
Columbus, OH USA
wmreed@columbus.rr.com
"I'm not the author William Reed -- yet."
Old 04-29-2006, 03:26 AM   #3
ChristianBoddum

Dojo: Aarhus AiKiKai

Hi !
something similar happened at our last children's test.
I had earlier on showed a very loose version of zempo-kaitennage,to show the principle of relaxation,
and sure enough there it was !!
You really have to be spot on with children,they catch things so fast - mistakes included !!
Old 04-30-2006, 10:56 AM   #4
Lucy Smith
Dojo: Samurai Dojo
Uruguay

I have to kneel too, with some of the kids in my class. I always tell them they're more dangerous, 'coz it's harder to get out of their grabs. At least without hurting them.
And Sensei's daughter, an 11 year old 2nd kyu, always smashes the side of my face against the mat during iriminage, since she's too short to throw me properly, and I'm too new to fix that in mid-fall.
But I love training with kids. I like them being more advanced than I am. It's like the world's rules and unjustice don't exist at all in the dojo. Isn't it great that a 16 year old asks an 11 year old how something is done?? Or that a 19 year old giant bloke gets the help of a 9 year old boy, and actually appreciates it??

Lucy
Old 05-02-2006, 01:14 PM   #5
Austin Power
United Kingdom

after posting about the other kids on the mat i just remembered this from the other week.

My son (henceforth known as "the boy") whos 4 has been watching and trying some aikido recently.
Now the boy was at school last week when some form of altercation developed over a toy of some sort which resulted in the teacher (apparently quite roughly) grabbing him by the arm.

Are you smiling yet

without the blinking of an eye the boy knocked out a picture perfect Ikkyo by all accounts much to the suprise of the overzealous teacher. The teacher then heads face first towards the carpet. to add insult to injury the boy then tries to pin the teacher as well but fortunately doesn't have that down yet (working on it).

The headteacher was not amused though but when i pointed out that aikido is a reactive martial art and i asked her to explain why the teacher grabbed my son it soon got dropped.

Haven't laughed so much for ages
Old 05-02-2006, 01:23 PM   #6
merlynn

United Kingdom

Quote:
Paul Power wrote:
after posting about the other kids on the mat i just remembered this from the other week.

My son (henceforth known as "the boy") whos 4 has been watching and trying some aikido recently.
Now the boy was at school last week when some form of altercation developed over a toy of some sort which resulted in the teacher (apparently quite roughly) grabbing him by the arm.

Are you smiling yet

without the blinking of an eye the boy knocked out a picture perfect Ikkyo by all accounts much to the suprise of the overzealous teacher. The teacher then heads face first towards the carpet. to add insult to injury the boy then tries to pin the teacher as well but fortunately doesn't have that down yet (working on it).

The headteacher was not amused though but when i pointed out that aikido is a reactive martial art and i asked her to explain why the teacher grabbed my son it soon got dropped.

Haven't laughed so much for ages
ooooooooooooo hee hee mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm well i hear you on that one my now 6 year old daughter was in the play ground with her little brother when some older boys started picking on tommy so being the good big sister my daughter executed a perfect sankyo on said older children after serveral arugments with school headmistress the boys since left my youngest son alone. ps much too the amusement of my senseis they said good for her and were pleased that she managed a sankyo

Old 05-02-2006, 02:21 PM   #7
Trish Greene
Dojo: Aikido-Kajukenbo Self Defense Center
United_States

My 12 yo son who works out with me, was at Scouts last night and a whole bunch of the boys were roughhousing a bit at the end of the meeting. One of the scouts got a little bit too aggressive and from what I understand my son performed a kokyo ho, pinning him to the ground until the boy calmed down. He did tell me that there were apologies later for the harder then normal rough housing and they left the meeting as friends again.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:15 PM   #8
ChristianBoddum

Dojo: Aarhus AiKiKai

OK listen up !

A girl on our children's team who was 16 at the time ,had to skip training
while apprenticing in the army for a week.
So the sergeants planned a sneak up attack on the group of kids she were in,
while they were sitting at the campfire.
Sure enough ,out from the bushes came the sergeants in an ambush manner,
5 kids were struggling to hold one man down,
while our girl executed a well placed nikyo on her assailant ,
and kept him there until he had to confess : " That actually really hurts !"

Man did this story stir some pride in the dojo !
Old 05-03-2006, 08:16 PM   #9
emma.mason15
Dojo: Shima Arashi Dojo
United Kingdom

my personal favourite when im training with the minis is when the have pinned me and then do a mass .... PILE UP .... sitting on me in their many droves .....

beware the little people

Dance your cares away .... worry for another day ... let the music play .... down in fraggle rock!

when bored ... do as I do. Poke a patient!
Old 05-10-2006, 08:39 AM   #10
Rocky Izumi
Dojo: GUST Aikido Club
Kuwait

When my daughter was about 4 and going to day care, she had been doing Aikido and karate for about a year. I went to pick her up at the day care after work to take her to tap dancing classes. She had already changed into her tap shoes.

As I walked down the sidewalk, she came running up to me with her arms spread as if she was going to jump into my arms, so a spread my arms to greet her. Instead of jumping up, she kicked me in the shin with her tap shoe and as I bent over to grab my shin, she knocked off by cowboy hat and grabbed two handfuls of hair. Then, using a shihonage type movement, threw me over her on to the concrete sidewalk.

As I lay there with the childcare people screaming that my daughter had killed me, I looked up into my daughters face above me. She handed me my hat while telling me: "I thought of that one all by myself. Did I do good Daddy?"

"Urghhhh, Yeah, that was (ouch) very nice."

I got up slowly and waved the daycare workers away telling them that I was fine and that she did that to me all the time. . . .

Rock
Old 05-10-2006, 08:56 AM   #11
Steve Mullen
Dojo: White Rose (Sunderland)
England

So does SHE tell YOU when its time for her to go to bed

She sounds like fun, i loved the whole lureing you into a false sence of security before beating the life out of you. Just like my Sensei ;P

"No matter your pretence, you are what you are and nothing more." - Kenshiro Abbe Shihan
Old 05-10-2006, 10:16 AM   #12
merlynn

United Kingdom

Quote:
Steve Mullen wrote:
So does SHE tell YOU when its time for her to go to bed

She sounds like fun, i loved the whole lureing you into a false sence of security before beating the life out of you. Just like my Sensei ;P
uh oh so where does that leave me i have 4 who do aikido now
*looks around to see what satans spawn is up too*

Old 05-10-2006, 11:57 AM   #13
Steve Mullen
Dojo: White Rose (Sunderland)
England

it means you have to hurry up and become their sensei so you can pull rank on them

"No matter your pretence, you are what you are and nothing more." - Kenshiro Abbe Shihan
Old 05-10-2006, 04:31 PM   #14
emma.mason15
United Kingdom

heheheh ... that or train them up to create an army of minis .... then you can TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

*whistles innocently* ... not that that was my intention at all!

Dance your cares away .... worry for another day ... let the music play .... down in fraggle rock!

Old 05-10-2006, 04:33 PM   #15
emma.mason15
United Kingdom

ooooo oooo oooo just remembered one!
my 5yr old kicked my 5th dan (karate) fellas arse! ..... 1 very good ikkyo!
damn i love seeing men in pain!

Old 05-10-2006, 06:07 PM   #16
Lucy Smith
Dojo: Samurai Dojo
Uruguay

Quote:
Emma Mason wrote:
ooooo oooo oooo just remembered one!
my 5yr old kicked my 5th dan (karate) fellas arse! ..... 1 very good ikkyo!
damn i love seeing men in pain!
ooook, dunno what to say about that last thing... I'm sure Karen will agree with you... I mean, not that I don't agree... but well only if they're stupid.
*feels relieved of having come up with such a cool explanation*

About the first part, wow, I mean WOW, that is the true prove that we all needed. Are we not aggressive enough? so? we don't need to. Do we look like we're dancing in a circle? yeah? well come in here and try to get in the m%&#" f/%$!* circle you m$%# f+@$!!!!!!

Not me up there!!
Old 05-10-2006, 06:14 PM   #17
emma.mason15
United Kingdom

Im shocked! ....
heh heh heh ... he Totally deserved it ..... that'll teach him for tickling her eh! lmao
BRING IT OOOOOON!

Old 05-10-2006, 07:17 PM   #18
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Emma Mason wrote:
Im shocked! ....
heh heh heh ... he Totally deserved it ..... that'll teach him for tickling her eh! lmao
BRING IT OOOOOON!
Ah. New use for tickling.

It's training. Really. No, really, I mean it. (halo at cleaners)

I somehow think the fourteen year old will not be amused. Mind you, whenever I harass her in any way, she gives it right back.

Her mother is not impressed by jiyu waza in the living room, though.

Now, the six year old...

...bwahahahahahaaaaaa.....

Old 05-10-2006, 07:26 PM   #19
emma.mason15
United Kingdom

... a man with my own frame of mind! ...
welcome to hel .... i mean ,... this forum!

Old 05-11-2006, 10:08 PM   #20
dps

Our church is going to have a martial arts outreach program. I have been doing research on teaching kids aikido and found this link;

http://www.aikidokids.com/aikidoman.htm

David

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!