Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-23-2006, 06:31 PM   #26
Dajo251
Dojo: Aikido Downtown
United_States
Re: aikido and sledge hammers

Tore out two three walls today, plus a built in desk thing, the space is really starting to shape up, tomorrow instead of class we are all going to work on the new space, in order to hopefully have it up and running net week. Sorry no pics, my camera decided to die, and not just the battery...so sad

Dan Hulley
Old 04-25-2006, 01:05 PM   #27
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

They say martial arts training has no end... but neither does dojo construction!
Old 04-25-2006, 09:24 PM   #28
Dajo251
United_States

and who ever said that isnt kidding, its shaping up to be alot more work then we anticipated, we havent started framing the new rooms yet. I spent most of the night re-enforcing the drop ceiling, got a ton of panaling off of a wall only to find another layer off panals under that followed by some sheet rock, and then insulation and finally the brick. Its coming along though

Dan Hulley
Old 04-26-2006, 07:16 AM   #29
Steve Mullen
Dojo: White Rose (Sunderland)
England

I think i can see another thread coming out of this one

"how effective is aikido against a crew of dojo reshapers weilding ten pound adjustment and reshaping tools"

I think it will really take off.

Dan,
I totally share you pain about the walls thing. Recently i was helping my friends "do out" their garden, which included a pond in the middle one of those plastic sheet-lined ones) anyway, it was drained due to a split in the plastic but was still firmly cemented in place by rocks around the side.

SO out comes the ten pound adjustment and reshaping tool, or Sid as we named it and away go the rocks, problem solved??

HE HE, No

Around the pond was a line of flagstones 3 wide, so i lifted the first lot, scraped away the sand and tried to move the plastic, no joy, so i moved the second lot, tried again, a bit of give.....but no joy, on to the third ones and finally more give.

Then i noticed the second line of stones around that

"No matter your pretence, you are what you are and nothing more." - Kenshiro Abbe Shihan
Old 04-26-2006, 02:38 PM   #30
Dajo251
United_States

WE named our reshaping tool thor, only about an hour later did I remeber the actual name of thors hammer(Im not going to attempt to spell it but its easy enough to find) but thor has stuck

Dan Hulley
Old 04-27-2006, 04:05 AM   #31
Steve Mullen
England

It builds a better working relationship with them if you do. we also had an axe, who's name escapes me at the moment

"No matter your pretence, you are what you are and nothing more." - Kenshiro Abbe Shihan
Old 04-27-2006, 11:16 AM   #32
Dajo251
United_States

If that axe was otis I am scared(see the movie frailty for the referance)

Dan Hulley
Old 04-28-2006, 01:53 AM   #33
Dajo251
United_States

So I got a call today about working at the dojo tomorrow and starting the framing for the locker rooms and then beer and pizza was mentioned....sounds like it will be an intresting evening

Dan Hulley
Old 05-06-2006, 10:25 PM   #34
Dajo251
United_States

Ok, so the walls are up and sheetrocked, that leaves us with, wireing painting, a bit of plumbing, moving alot of stuff general cleaning and laying down the mats, we are supposed to start training at the new place on monday, so we may just move stuff around so we can lay some mats down. Im a little worried about walking around bare foot, Ive already pulled 3 screws and 5 nails outta the bottom of my shoes.......oh well its going well,

Dan Hulley
Old 05-08-2006, 08:57 PM   #35
Dajo251
United_States

lesson learned tonight....rolling off a mat onto concrete when its unexpected hurts like hell

Dan Hulley
Old 05-09-2006, 03:43 AM   #36
Steve Mullen
England

It's good that we, as aikidoka, learn these lessons from time to time, just incase a group of ninja should choose to attack whilst we are in a concrete area

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!