Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-07-2006, 04:38 PM   #26
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Just needed a second opinion

I'm not sure, but one of the people in my dojo has CP, I believe. I'll try to confirm that. He is a brown belt, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was to test for black. I train in a very rigorous style of aikido, Yoshinkan, and our instructor is 7th dan. If a teacher of that quality in a very rigorous style of aikido can teach the person I'm thinking of, someone can teach you too...especially if it is trembling that is the major limitation in you disability. But you do need to take into account the insurance issues mentioned.

I believe if you go back and talk to the senior instructor, an accomodation could probably be found. Best wishes, and don't give up. That person in our dojo is one of the people I admire most.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 05-07-2006, 08:02 PM   #27
Adam Huss

United_States

Hey, I'm pretty sure there is a guy in our organization that has CP. I think he's shodan...in fact I think I was there for his shodan test (like two years ago) at an annual fall seminar. There is a person who teaches in Ohio that I belive has CP and has to use braces/crutches to walk...and yet he still does aikido (Tomiki style and Daito Ryu) and he gets around quite well...has adapted to his "disability."

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 05-08-2006, 01:26 AM   #28
Hanna B
Sweden

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote:
We make different accomodations for big folk, small folk, old folk, young folk, and folk that climb on rock...why not challenged folk?
All depending on the situation and how much adaptation needs to be made, I guess.This is going to be more general and not directly related to Alan, now.

If someone with a handicap that would have a siginficant impact on their aikido - an arm missing, or whatever - asked me for an aikido dojo in the town where I live, I would point him or her to a dojo where xe gets to take beginner classes for experienced teachers rather than the teacher's fresh shodan students. An experienced teacher can make up ways to do technique with one arm. Asking this of a shodan who teaches the beginner classes since a year might sometimes be a little bit too much. In my nick of the woods, there are plenty of dojos around and there would be possibilites to point a handicapped student to other dojos where they are better in taking care of him/her - I have two specific teachers in mind.

Now, cerebral palsy without any extra handicaps on top is something else than a missing limb, and I admit I have no clue how much adaptation needs to be made for soneone with a mild cerebral palsy. I liked SeiserL:s "translation" of the "no", I don't know how to teach disabled students, but can't admit my limitations. IMHO it is accaptable not to know how to teach disabled students. It is rather strange for a junior teacher to say straight away that no one else in the dojo could do it, though. If you insist after initially having been turned down, you show you are determined. It could well be worth it to try and talk to the main instructor directly.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:55 AM   #29
ruthmc
Dojo: Wokingham Aikido
United Kingdom

Quote:
Alan Lamb wrote:
I live in Dagenham, and according to the dojo search, the next dojo would be in Braintree. Tis a bit of a trek, but im sure if I route plan, shouldn't be too much of an issue.
Hi Alan,

Have a look at the BAB website for a dojo: http://www.bab.org.uk/club_directory/essex.html

All the best with finding a good place to train!

Ruth
Old 05-08-2006, 10:40 AM   #30
Alan_Lamb

Now thats odd, i've used that search engine before, but never found a dojo. And now their's one very close to me. I'll go down there when I get the chance. Thanks guys!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!