Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-24-2005, 10:35 AM   #76
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Re: Lady Aikido

Re breast pin: as I said back on page 1, some of us by combos of size, shape, age, etc, go more "to the side" under the affects of gravity or pressure.
If I'm in partial control of my takedown, I can angle to avoid the breast pin. It is not for me a frequent occurance, and two things can make it more likely to occur: 1. nage takes me down really fast or 2. circumstances/angles bring me down more laterally along my outside tegatana/forearm/ribs and my inner side angled up towards nage, so that for the final pin I am rolled towards tummy-down: this tends to roll the inner side breast out laterally.
However....jeez, it is no big deal. Mostly its not as uncomfortable or as longlasting as getting a mammogram! Just another transitory training discomfort.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-24-2005, 05:28 PM   #77
Aikiscott
Dojo: Central Coast Aikikai
Australia
Ai symbol Re: Lady Aikido

Breast pin Issue
The technique that it most commonly happens in is Ikkyo, though I have also done it in a standing pin for Kote gaeshi, but I felt it and made appropriate adjustments.I think it is due to the fact that when we take Ukemi for it(Ikkyo) we look up at Tori/Nage until the very last second when Tori/nage pushes the shoulder into the mat to complete the pin, which I guess causes the displacement of the breast out to one side. It also happens mostly to newer female students though now we have a good group of ladies who help out the newer ladies with advice.
The problem is now fixed after she was advised by a fellow female to purchase a good quality sport bra.
It has actually become a bit of a joke after training when we are all sitting around in the Pub having a beer.

As for Testicles
When taking a break fall a man needs to be careful that his thighs do not slap together, and thus crush his testicles. It is the mans responsibility to make sure his ukemi does not result in this happening, he also has to insure that he wears the right undergarments to aid him in not letting this happen. How is this different to a woman taking care of her own body parts during Ukemi.Though Tori needs to be sensitive to Uke's skill level.
I am always sensitive to my Uke & do not inflict unnecessary discomfort for the fun of it.But I feel that as we are martial artists(whether or not you practice for self defence or not) we (male & female) need to take responsibility for the protection of our bodies.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:50 AM   #78
giriasis
United_States

Like, Janet, the breast getting pinched really is no big deal. Usually it happens during the seated nikkyo or sankyo cradle pin when nage puts his or, yes, even her, knee down. It doesn't happen a lot, though. I usually don't have to do any special ukemi to protect them. They're in a very supportive sports bra that keeps them from moving around anyway.

When it comes with guys testicles, I usually watch out where my hand goes during ikkyo or iriminage. Usually, it doesn't go "there" if I'm controlled properly, but accidents happen -- i.e. the hand grazes his privates, but like above it's rare.

Anne Marie Giri
Women in Aikido: a place where us gals can come together and chat about aikido.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:57 AM   #79
scruffy_samurai
Dojo: two rivers tomiki aikido dojo
United Kingdom

ive never had a problem with my breasts being in the way at aikido but at jiu jitsu, they have been groped, knelt on, pinched etc possible because the techniques are different but any hoo....

i am one of very few girls in my club (me and 1 other senior girl and possible 5 junior girls) and have only really felt uncomfortable around two guys at the club purely because they have made some sexist comments to me and to the other senior girl.
luckerly me and the other senior girl have a good understanding of each other's aikido so we train together regually
Old 04-26-2006, 05:37 AM   #80
Hanna B
Sweden

Quote:
Cromwell Salvatera wrote:
The reason I started this thread is a few months ago we had a begginer who is scared to do a forward roll. I showed her many times how to do it, and she still is very scared. Finally I asked why is she so scared. Embarrassed and blushing she said 'I am scared with doing forward rolls because I do not want to crush my breast'...
Maybe she recently had implants done, and did not want to risk them?
Old 04-26-2006, 01:43 PM   #81
Faith Hansen

Dojo: Midwest Center for Movement
United_States

Anne-

How does the hand come anywhere NEAR the genitals in Ikkyo or Iriminage?? Do you have a special "happy ending" to your technique?

To put my two cents on the rest: I have fairly large breasts and find that yes they do get squished and stepped on occasionally, but it never really hurts. And you would have to execute a pretty messed up forward roll to squish them. I would recommend having a higher ranked female aikidoka help the woman out with her with rolls to begin with. This may help the woman feel more at ease and enable her to connect with someone who understands.

-Faith
Old 04-26-2006, 02:22 PM   #82
giriasis
United_States

Quote:
Faith Eisentrager wrote:
Anne-

How does the hand come anywhere NEAR the genitals in Ikkyo or Iriminage?? Do you have a special "happy ending" to your technique?

-Faith
It's real easy if they don't do the technique properly. Usually there's a light graze. It is just as much a "no biggie" as my breasts being lightly grazed during other techniques. It's the nature of practicing a physical artform like aikido.

During ikkyo it can happen right after the cut down from ikkyo if the nage doesn't guide your hand past his outside hip/ leg. A friend of mine had an accidental "happy, albeit very embarrasing, ending" where her hand landed directly on his genitals. During iriminage if nage doesn't take efforts to keep your inside arm away to prevent you from hitting them you arm will sort of drop between the legs. (This can also led to a fun counter on uke's part where you can turn around and pick up their leg.) Of course my ukemi for kaitenage requires me to go for a punch to the genitals, but that's a different story.

I have had my breasts pinched a couple of times, but usually that happens when nage just haphazardly drops down to their knees to bring me into a seated pin. It doesn't happen that much though.

Anne Marie Giri
Women in Aikido: a place where us gals can come together and chat about aikido.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:51 PM   #83
Faith Hansen

Dojo: Midwest Center for Movement
United_States

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I for some reason thought you were referring to when YOU did the technique on someone. The uke part makes more sense. Silly me.

-Fae
Old 04-26-2006, 06:26 PM   #84
Michael O'Brien
Dojo: Nashville Aikikai
United_States

Reading through all of the previous discussion was quite interesting and at times even amusing.

Like many others, up until this discussion there were a lot of things I had never even thought about in regards to accidental brushing, etc. It did almost immediately make me think of an amusing story that happened this past Sunday in our afternoon advanced class. We were training against uke grabbing both wrists and jerking nage forward. I paired up with one of the females in class and I grabbed the wrists and jerked her towards me. For some reason she totally blankedon technique. When I realized this I tried to stop her momentum but we slammed chest to chest. We both just stepped back and laughed about and went on with training.

Harmony does not mean that there are no conflicts,
for the dynamic spiral of existence embraces both extremes.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:08 PM   #85
Glenda Gill
Dojo: Aikido Mackay
Australia

I am only 5 ft tall? and when I first walked into my class, freaked out mainly because, was the only female, but all the males are so tall around the 6ft mark. First couple of lessons, was lucky to get away with a lot. But after that was just one of the boys.
I prefer doing aikido with really tall people mainly because, I find I can get them onto the ground a lot smoother. Unfortunately in a real fight, I will not have the luxury of choosing a persons height, therefore I feel more confident, because I have trained with men.
The boob thing, yeah, I do worry a bit, but if I get hurt, its my own fault, for not defending myself properly. And it does really hurt.

Please visit our sponsor:

Seminar with Frank Doran, Shihan - Aug. 8-10, 2014 at Sunset Cliff's Aikido, near San Diego's finest beaches