Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-06-2006, 11:10 PM   #26
RebeccaM
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States
Re: How old were you

I started when I was 11. I'd been doing TKD since I was 7, and I didn't like it any more. When my family moved, my dad told me I could quit TKD if I took another martial art instead. Then he showed me an aikido class.

That was roughly 13 years ago.

I couldn't find a dojo I liked when I was in college, so I trained in aikido when I was home on breaks and did Shotokan karate while I was away at school. I quit Shotokan when I started grad school. I had to choose, and I prefer throwing people to throwing punches.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:45 AM   #27
Jerry Miller

United_States

When I was young, probably about twelve I started Aikido at the YMCA being taught by a man with the last name of Walker in Florida. I went two nights a week until I was about fourteen. I graded under him and thoroughly enjoyed myself. This was an adult class and I was very skinny but just as tall as I am now. I remember closing class early because the Kung Fu series was starting up and we were excited about it. Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere was published back then and was a big deal. There was no Internet and very few books or dojos. My family moved because of work and the new home was an aikido less void. In the meantime something called life happened to me. Thirty something years later I walk by a storefront. It was an Aikido dojo. Even more important they were close and the hours were compatible with my current job. That was three years ago. I was able in the beginning to judge the aikido where I am now learning. I am Happy to be back. The Organization is a different one. A few things are different but it is still Aikido and a whole lot of fun. Oh I am almost the same kyu rank as before and just enjoying the ride. Maybe a Dan someday if I can stick to it.

Jerry Miller
Old 03-07-2006, 05:33 AM   #28
John (King John)

Dojo: Prince Bishops Durham/ White Rose
England

I started when I was 36. I saw it in the local sports centre and liked the look of it. It was going to be something for my son and myself to do together. He stopped after only a few weeks, but it was too late for me! That was 6 years ago. I just wish I'd started as a teenager before the weightlifting & motorbike & stock car racing had taken their toll on my poor bashed up old frame.
Plus I could now wander around looking wise when I'm feeling weary.

Grab my arm.....The other arm.....MY other arm
Old 03-07-2006, 05:45 AM   #29
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Quote:
Plus I could now wander around looking wise when I'm feeling weary.
Doesnt stop me (I have a big piece of carrot cake John!).

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:11 AM   #30
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Rebecca Montange wrote:
and I prefer throwing people to throwing punches.
Much nicer to be on the receiving end too!

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:22 AM   #31
Eric Webber
Dojo: Aikido West Reading
United_States

Started 10 years ago this week, age 22. A friend steered me to the dojo after talking to him about wanting to start a martial art. No breaks (other than some days for sickness or travel), in time or bones, thankfully. Still feel like there's so much to learn - is a good feeling. Had been competitive figure skater (roller) for eight years, then coached for 10 years. Good background for balance and body control.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:23 PM   #32
Trish Greene
Dojo: Aikido-Kajukenbo Self Defense Center
United_States

My husband, son and I started Jujitsu when I was 32 yo (2002) and practice for about half a year until our sensei started having personal issues and the dojo closed. During that time the focus was mainly on rolls and breakfalls. My son and I started Aikido last year (2005) when I was 35 yo. Our Sensei had just opened a dojo in the same building complex as my son's scout meeting place. We wandered in to check it out and haven't left!

and for the record.. throwing people is a lot more fun!!!
Old 03-07-2006, 01:48 PM   #33
frankvgb
Belgium

I have a brother who is 4,5 years older. When we were little we used to playfight a lot, trying kicks, punches, holds, throws. My brother began to buy books about karate, jujitsu and judo and we tried things out. Then came the revelation. My brother found a Dutch translation of The 'Encyclopedia of Asian Martial Arts' by Don Draeger and Robert Smith. We read it again and again. We found a dojo where they practiced different martial arts and I was about 13 when we enrolled and got hooked.

Frank
Old 03-07-2006, 03:30 PM   #34
Carlos Rivera

Dojo: Aikido in Savannah
United_States

I started in Okinawa Goju-Ryu when I was 17, got my BB 2d Dan at 21 yrs. Then it was on to TKD (both ITF and WTF) for 7 yrs., got the 2d Dan BB. Got married, stopped MA for a while (moved, had kids and a mini-van) and got back in TKD did that for another 5 yrs. and started in Aikido at age 38 at Nippon-kan (Denver, CO) got my 3d kyu. Then I moved to Louisiana, did Jyushinkai Aikido for a short while before branching into Praying Mantis Kung Fu (two years), got a Brown Sash. Moved again (yeah, I work for the government) and came to VA, where I got back in Aikido, got my 2d kyu. Took a break (work, life, and all that) and returned to practice August '05. Just turned 45 yrs. old (got the scars and gray hair to prove it). I'll stick with Aikido until I wither and die. There's good folks, good times, and lot of the techniques are good whether you're 18 or 45.

To quote the Grateful Dead: "What a long, strange trip it's been."
Old 03-07-2006, 06:03 PM   #35
RebeccaM
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote:
Much nicer to be on the receiving end too!
Oh yeah...

The worst was getting punched in the throat. I learned to keep my neck guarded after that. :/
Old 03-07-2006, 10:27 PM   #36
neb1979
Australia

I Started Aikido when I was 25. I started training MA's when I was about 11 in kick boxing from a police officer who lived next door. Up until the time I joined the army (at the age of 20) I was very active in all sports and also body building in the latter part. I started to study BJJ, JKD, and kick boxing again when I was in the army. This ultimately lead me to see what sort of damage you can inflict on someone, as I fought in a sort of fight club within the army. Knowing that I could inflict severe damage to someone made me look at ways of subduing an opponent with out hurting them (progression into mature way of thinking, I think?). I read a lot about Aikido and in Darwin (were I was posted) they had no Aikido up there. So as soon as I left the army and moved home I took Aikido up pretty much straight away. It has changed my life in ways I could never imagine and it is still changing my life to this day.

Cheers
Ben
Old 03-08-2006, 05:24 AM   #37
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Carlos Rivera wrote:
Just turned 45 yrs. old (got the scars and gray hair to prove it). I'll stick with Aikido until I wither and die. There's good folks, good times, and lot of the techniques are good whether you're 18 or 45.

To quote the Grateful Dead: "What a long, strange trip it's been."
In about 30 years time there's going to be alot of us old hippy's / Deadhead's / old farts, wobbling our way into our respective dojo's. My imagination starts to get carried away with itself...

"What a long strange trip it's been......and it aint over yet!"

This is a great thread to read, cheers

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:52 AM   #38
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

You mean I'm not the only Old Deadhead on the board?!

....and every silver lining's got a touch of grey....

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 03-09-2006, 04:27 AM   #39
merlynn

Dojo: lone pine ryu school of aiki kyusho jujutsu ,woking & guildford
United Kingdom

i have done many sports over the years football , netball , trampolining, dancing,rounders and gymnastics, i started karate when i was 13 and stayed with it for 2 years, but it wasnt for me.
i started aikido when i was 27, up until then i had no direction in life, and now i feel i have found the inner peace i have been seeking all these years

Last edited by merlynn : 03-09-2006 at 04:30 AM.

some things are so dear and so precious you have to let them go
Old 03-10-2006, 08:46 AM   #40
Gabriella Wrigholm
Sweden

When I was little I did ballet and played basketball but never really liked it that much. I was thirteen when I decided I wanted to try a martial art. So I started training karate with a friend of mine. I practiced for about a year and had fun but then my friend quit and I also felt it was a little too heavy for me to do the same type of exercises as the big, strong guys who were twenty five years old.

I didn't do any kind of sport for two years and when I had turned sixteen I thought it was time to go back to the martial arts again. So I tried Aikido in the town where I live. I felt very welcome and kept training. I have now trained Aikido for soon to be three years and I keep training because when I think back they have been the years in which I have had the most fun and met the most interesting people in my life so far. And of course because Aikido is a lot of fun. I hope to continue practicing for many more years in the future.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:24 AM   #41
Jose Garrido
United_States

I started my Aikido training in 1964. I was 9 years old and both my parents worked so it was a good way to keep me out of trouble. It was at the suggestion of my uncle who was a former Judoka from Cuba.

Jose Garrido
Old 03-10-2006, 09:26 AM   #42
cck

I started aikido at the age of 20. I had pretty severe asthma as a child, but danced for five years, and then took up crew, followed by kayaking. I also did a bit of swimming. My studies took me to China, where I did tai chi. When I returned to Denmark, a friend was raped, and I felt I needed to learn self-defense. Picked the local aikido dojo out of a phone book and was sold the moment I saw people flying through the air and then getting back up like cats. I've been in and out of aikido a couple of times for various reasons, but found a great dojo where I've been for the past two years.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:18 AM   #43
Amanda
Dojo: Exeter Ki Aikido
United Kingdom

I started aikido at 22 having previously done 4 years of Judo (ages 16-20). I was complaining to a friend that I felt I should be doing something again, he suggested I join him at aikido and the rest...
Old 03-19-2006, 02:20 PM   #44
Berney Fulcher
Dojo: Roswell Budokan
United_States

I started at 43 after about 6 years of TKD.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:26 AM   #45
villrg0a

Dojo: Shuryukan Yoshinkai Aikido
Saudi Arabia

I studied JKD when I was 27, then moved on to karate when I turned 35. After that I said to myself, with all these training I still wont be able to use it unless its a life and death situation, coz most of the things thought to me utilizes fatal maneuvers. I found aikido when I was 37, although started on the wrong track, I got hooked on it. Went back to basics afterwards, I am now 43 and just recently got back from a short aikido training in Japan.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:41 PM   #46
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz

Quote:
Andrew Barron wrote:
How old were you when you started Aikido, did you come form another martial art or sport or dance or meditative study. Why did you start, continue, or move away from Aikido?
I started when I was 23, back in 1983. Before that, I studied yoga, under my mom's tutelage (along with some books) on and off, through most of my teens.

Even tho I was looking for Aikido, it was pretty scarce in my area. I discovered it by accident, upon meeting the president of the Johns Hopkins Aikido club.

Shortly after that, I went North (Maine), to continue my college. At the time, there was no Aikido in Maine; so I organized an independent study in Aikido, affiliated with Lou Pereillo Sensei in New Hampshire (the dojo commutes were hellish). After my college was finished, I went back to the mid-Atlantic area and trained in a school under Saotome Sensei.

I originally joined Aikido thinking it was a "nonviolent" martial art. I stayed on in it mostly because of its philosophy of respect ("Rei"), and because no one told me that I "should" practice regularly, or scolded me for not coming often enough to his or her liking.

With the exception of studying Capoeira from '94-'98, I have pretty much stayed with Aikido as my sole martial discipline, since '83.

Last edited by Neil Mick : 03-20-2006 at 02:44 PM.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!