Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-24-2006, 11:04 AM   #26
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Re: Aikido as Budo

Quote:
Lyle Bogin wrote:
Can't I be both the guy that goes to aikido practice and the dude who gets hyped at a fight and like fast cars and boobs, depending on my enviroment?

I think both are best taken in moderation. Neither "way" is a superior state.
I, for one, like fast cars and boobs (neither one too fancy or costly for my taste) but I don't get "hyped" at a fight anymore. I've seen and taken part in too many of them. I especially am not interested in "fighting for fun." My enviornment doesn't change most things about my values.

By no means do I think my way is best for anyone but me. There are some folks that agree though and we hang out together.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 02-24-2006, 11:10 AM   #27
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.

I vote for fast cars and boobs.

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
Old 02-24-2006, 11:37 AM   #28
Chuck Clark

United_States

Dennis, what are we talking about.... I can't remember.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 02-24-2006, 11:55 AM   #29
Dennis Hooker

Hell I don't know, can't remember ether, but it felt right saying it! Somehow it made me feel warm and fuzzy like I used to handle both with pleasure and skill.

www.shindai.com
Old 02-24-2006, 12:04 PM   #30
Chuck Clark

United_States

Oh yeah... "handling with pleasure and skill..." okay, I'm with ya now. I think this kata's just like they talk about with bicyles... isn't it...?

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 02-24-2006, 01:12 PM   #31
Alec Corper

Dojo: Itten Suginami Dojo, Nunspeet
Netherlands

Excuse me for saying this but you old guys are really lowering the tone of this thread
Alec

If your temper rises withdraw your hand, if your hand rises withdraw your temper.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:22 PM   #32
Chuck Clark

United_States

I used to have a three octave range, but the last few years I often find myself in the bass (or base) section.

Sorry for corrupting the thread. I'm done now. I should go to lunch and then back to work.

Best regards,

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 02-24-2006, 02:21 PM   #33
Dennis Hooker

Quote:
Chuck Clark wrote:
I used to have a three octave range, but the last few years I often find myself in the bass (or base) section.

Sorry for corrupting the thread. I'm done now. I should go to lunch and then back to work.

Best regards,
Hay I used to pee over a 4 foot electric fence and not break a sweat. Now I'm lucky if I don't hit my shoes

Sorry for corrupting the thread too. I'm done now. I'll go take a nap.

www.shindai.com
Old 02-24-2006, 03:48 PM   #34
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States
Talking Re: Aikido as Budo

Dennis and Chuck,

(ROFLMAO) My ass is done fallen off.

I'm planning on seeing you next month, Dennis. Hopefully it will have grown back by then.

Regards,

Tarik

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."
Old 02-26-2006, 10:50 AM   #35
arjandevries
Dojo: Ima Juku
Netherlands

Quote:
Alec Corper wrote:
We offer each other resistance on the mat, not to endulge our own egos with how tough we are, but to enable our partner to develop
Hi Alec,

For me Aikido is Budo and a Martial Art. Sometimes resistance is not appreciated on the mat. I have heard to many times that is not apreciated. I just leave it and go on. Sometimes it means going on with big consequensis (you know what I mean!). The times I gave (and still give) resistance I did it for the development of my partner and myself. I have seen to many ukes falling down before the actual technique is performed. Aikido is working together but not at any cost! If it weakens ones Aikido you should ask yourself what you are doing.
At this moment I am asking myself what I am doing but I will figure it out. One thing that helps is practising together with people who see it the same way. So I will see you March 30th!
As for the bunny part, nehh...

Arjan
Old 02-26-2006, 07:31 PM   #36
DH
United_States

This is a topic Ellis and I have bandied about for a while now. My view is that the essence of what is really at the core of *training* is siimply passing us by. It was the defining difference in Takeda, Sagawa, Kodo and Ueshiba. They understood HOW to train to gain what their bodies needed. And technique wasn't it.
We all seem to get guys who want to *fight* before they train. It is difficult to get young man to think. They just want technique
I always say if ya start rastlin.... ya end up rastlin... and ya haven't learned nary a thing.

Draegers Model said it best. The randori was the leaves supported by the branches and trunk which were the techniques all supported by the roots..which were the kata. Cut the root..cut the trunk..the leaves whither and die.
Another way to say that is that the Roots are the body work, the principles that must be trained wired in. And that from ag uy who breathed Randori and weight training. What did they all know?

If, you want to learn to be excellent at speed you start out slow and re-wire the mind/body to function free *at speed.* Resistense training as in kokyu and other forms was meant to help people re-wire and re-set internally.
Truthfully I think that due to a lack of first class teachers (why they are to be treasured) they are not shown clearly where and how this traiing is rational from slow too fast and what it builds..in them. They fear the cooperatve nature as weak because they are not given first hand accounts of its power as a training tool.
I make my guys go through agonizing repataive work in slow motion; all aspects from striking/kicking to throwing choking locking...all in slow motion. Each move has to have a connected rationale or its taken apart. In time they get connected and re-wired and their body is hard in every connection since it had a rational ground connection. The blocks kill and incoming arm and a potential throw never makes it in. All learned by not being allowed to play martial until they were connected in themselves.
Sadly I think the best these arts can offer escape those who only pursue techniques.

cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 02-26-2006 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:20 PM   #37
koz

Dojo: Kaiso Dobun Kenkyukai
New Zealand

Quote:
To me Aikido is a Budo. How I understand that is as a warrior path, one which requires moral and ethical development to go hand in hand with the actual ability to fight. When I read many of the posts on the net, here and elsewhere, I see levels of rudeness, disrespect, hostility, flippant assumption, aggressive assertion, and a host of other, what I would consider to be, unfortunate human charcteristics.
Remember that if you hold budo to be a path, there will be some further down that path than others.

Quote:
Where is the respect and courtesy we should have for each other?
Perhaps this is a different issue. Is it possible to respect someone at the same time as having no respect for someone until it is deserved?

But that doesn't necessarily imply common courtesy should be lacking. If you have to call someone a drooling cretinous imbecile, it should always be done politely!

Quote:
Where is the willingness to listen, and perhaps, sometimes to learn. There are very few occasions where you will see anyone actually changing their original position (opinion), so what is the point of dialogue.
Welcome to the world of relatively anonymous virtual interaction where everyone is an expert on any topic regardless of actual knowledge and experience. It's not confined to aikido or martial-art fora, you'll even find it in rec.knitting.

Note the authority in that statement, even though I've never actually perused alt.knitting? I hereby prove my own point

At the end of the day you can only be responsible for your own actions, not those of others. If their behaviour offends you, make sure yours does not follow suit.

True mastery can be gained
by letting things go their own way.

Lao Tzu - Tao Te Ching, Ch48
Old 03-02-2006, 03:40 AM   #38
Leon Aman

Philippines

Quote:
Alec Corper wrote:
To me Aikido is a Budo. How I understand that is as a warrior path, one which requires moral and ethical development to go hand in hand with the actual ability to fight. When I read many of the posts on the net, here and elsewhere, I see levels of rudeness, disrespect, hostility, flippant assumption, aggressive assertion, and a host of other, what I would consider to be, unfortunate human charcteristics.
Where is the respect and courtesy we should have for each other?
Where is the willingness to listen, and perhaps, sometimes to learn. There are very few occasions where you will see anyone actually changing their original position (opinion), so what is the point of dialogue.

Alec- you are right, there are lots of rude and impolite people in this site but despite that, I know there are also good, polite and diplomatic people here. Such attitude normally exists not only in Aikido World but practically in the whole world, inevitably, for whatever reason. And yet the differences of ideology or opinion or bad manners in budo training are not our goal here. But on how to overcome such challenges.

leon
Old 03-02-2006, 04:07 AM   #39
Alec Corper

Dojo: Itten Suginami Dojo, Nunspeet
Netherlands

Leon,
the way to overcome these challenges is inherent to what we call Budo. The path of Budo is about overcoming oneself first, then , perhaps, the need to overcome others will disappear It is not a philosophy in a Western sense, in that it must be practiced with the body in order to find the mind, then later with mind and body together, and later still with "no mind".
I stated in a later post that I was not pointing at the need for us to be nice to each other, although thats ok too, but to realize that what we do and say is our "Do" and the longer we walk it , the harder it becomes to change direction. Technical ability is great, but after almost 30 years in MA I know that we all get older, weaker, and slower, so what's it all for? To improve the quality of our being, and thereby the quality of the world we live in, in that order. I've put in the blood, sweat and tears to say this, (and still do), but I wasn't trying to tell people what to do, only suggesting that the mirror is as important as the sword sometimes.

If your temper rises withdraw your hand, if your hand rises withdraw your temper.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:44 AM   #40
Skribbles

id just like to say that ive really enjoyed reading these posts... and they do give me alot to think about
i appreciate it =)
Old 03-03-2006, 11:43 PM   #41
Leon Aman

Philippines

Alec- I believe you have a good heart and your integrity expresses thru your messages, I too, have devoute myself from finding the true path to budo , because I believe it is vital in ones physical and mental progress in the art of fighting, in a general sense.

I didn't suggest in a tone that impolite, hostility and such is good or right nor do I suggest that practicing budo in a flippancy or frivolous way that others in the net have normally done, are right or ethical one. We are simply living in a world where comparative normally exist. But why in the budo sake we're trying to overcome such challenges by way of reprimanding others from expressing their thought just because it doesn't complement with our own thoughts. whatever happens, how many rudeness, disrespect or hostility in the net, trying to redirect budo in whatever way they want to redirect . The path to budo will remain the path to budo, it will not devastatingly damage its subliminal qualities.

We are getting older, weaker and slower and all must to improve the quality of our being, and thereby the quality of the world we live in... but it must be on the way individual wanted to "Do" it.

Leon

Please visit our sponsor:

Handmade Aikido Gifts - Handmade functional ceramic art with aikido themes