Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-05-2006, 05:51 PM   #1
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Akuzawa in Paris Feb 11 - 12th

Sup all,

I know this is kind of short notice, but for any European peeps that are interested, Akuzawa will be giving a seminar in Bodyskill (read Kokyu-path / Jin) development on the 11th and 12th of Feb in Paris.
This time the seminar is confirmed (hehehe) and WILL happen, lol.

He will be demonstrating the much vaunted/debated/ridiculed pinky trick if anyone really cares at this point ^^;
More of interest though, will be how to develop these skills, and his willingness to openly demonstrate how they work in a variety of UNrehearsed intensities/techniques/settings.

Many of the exercises briefly mentioned in the other thread about him (60kg peep throws 100kg people around w/ pinky finger) will be covered in depth since these are crucial to developing the kind of advanced bodyskill being brought up in the forums lately.

For more info PM me
Old 01-06-2006, 07:01 AM   #2
Ben Joiner
Dojo: Templegate Dojo
Wales
Re: Akuzawa in Paris Feb 11 - 12th

Hello,

I'm based in Cardiff UK but purely by chance may well be passing through Paris at the alotted time on my way down to Burgundy on a bit of a wine buying mission . Can you send me the details: times, place, etc of the seminar as I would be very interested in going along to see what this gentleman can demonstrate.

P.S. Would have PM'd you but your inbox is full .

Regards

Ben Joiner
Old 01-06-2006, 08:01 AM   #3
jss
Netherlands

Quote:
Ben Joiner wrote:
P.S. Would have PM'd you but your inbox is full .
Me too.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:16 PM   #4
Upyu

For those that're curious about what's going to be done at the seminar,
here's a more detailed flier that's being passed around to promote the event:
******************************************************************************** **********************************
La maison du Taiji, 57 rue Jules Ferry 93170 Bagnolet, Paris, France
Contact Edward Hines +33 680 28 86 39
edward@nlpschool.com

The development of an integrated physical structure and the ability to spontaneously apply the power it generates in a free form manner is the goal of internal martial arts training. Akuzawa Minoru is a contemporary practitioner who has focused his training on acquiring and developing the sophisticated body skills associated with this goal.

Akuzawa Sensei's Bodyskill comes through various Koryu teachers, unknown to most within the Japanese community, and Yukiyoshi Sagawa. Sagawa was a fellow student of Morihei Ueshiba under Sokaku Takeda. Within Daito Ryu, he is considered to be the student who exemplified the transmission of Sokaku Takeda's Aiki. Tatsuo Kimura in turn is known for having received these skills from Sagawa. Akuzawa Sensei studied under Sagawa Sensei for several years and continued after Sagawa's death with Kimura Sensei.

This will be Akuzawa Sensei's first seminar outside of Japan, and it is a rare opportunity to encounter the remarkable internal training techniques employed in Japanese Koryu. In two days, Akuzawa Sensei will present a set of effective training exercises, and will demonstrate the results of their practice. Participants will be invited to test his ability to manifest extraordinary internal strength in a variety of startling demonstrations, including martial application. Akuzawa Sensei will cover the practical and theoretical aspects of aligning and conditioning the body to generate and apply internal strength, focusing on both structure and dynamics.

Day One: Structure
 Solo bodywork derived from various Koryu.
 Solo bodywork derived from various Koryu.
 Akuzawa Sensei's unique 'nyu-ryoku' method of 'putting power into the opponent' - developed through kneeling and standing techniques that he recieved
from Sagawa Sensei.
Day Two: Dynamics
 Paired exercises for applying the power developed alone in a moving situation.
 Explanation of how previous material applies internal martial arts and free fighting.
 Explanation of how previous material can be used to generate extraordinary power both to throw and to strike.

Cost: €80/day €150 for the weekend

Edward's note…I've not met Akuzawa, I've seen some clips which looked good. So why am I willing to put this seminar on? From my discussions with people who know him he has two outstanding attributes.

The ability to generate lots of force despite his small size (60kg) in live martial situations -- and a willingness to demonstrate

And

Willingness to teach these skills, backed up by thought in how to teach them. His students aren't told 'this is very hard it will take many years' but are given hard work that produces results in a shorter time scale.

Combine this with my natural curiousity -- I'm curious how different a Japanese approach to these arts can be…and I'm willing to take the risk to learn something. Actually I think this is a sure thing and it will be worth going.
******************************************************************************** ***********************************

Last edited by akiy : 01-14-2006 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Clarifications
Old 01-08-2006, 06:10 AM   #5
Mat Hill
Dojo: Kaminari Shooto Dojo
England
Wu bu chuan?

Hi Rob.

You're also going to be in the UK and hooking up with G. aren't you? It's a little late notice but it's not impossible to arrange something for there too, maybe?

BTW, I notice he's only doing koryu... has he dropped the go-ho-ken completely?
Old 01-08-2006, 02:38 PM   #6
Upyu

Actually we'll be in the UK for only about 2 days to meet up w/ da G(Belgian, G-style lol )
After that it's off to Paris, so I'm pretty sure we won't have time to do a seminar...
Ark doesn't take well to Jet Lag, since he was pretty much trashed the first four days when we went to New York a couple of years ago

The Go-Ho-Ken(Wu Bu Quan for the Chinese language infatuated) was really there just to give a frame work to work some of the Shintaijiku/Manji and Ten Jin Chi concepts in. He decided to eliminate it from practice for now and work on other more "core" exercises...
Twisted Manji (to induce coiling in the frame), among other things...they're a complete and utter bitch, but I luv'em

For the seminar he's probably going to cover mostly Koryu training, not because he's got a fetish for it, but because in general the movements are simpler and easier to pick up. (Which means its also easier to dig deep into the movements quickly once you "get" what it is you're training )
Old 01-09-2006, 05:23 PM   #7
Gerald Fabrot
Japan
Re: Akuzawa in Paris Feb 11 - 12th / London ?

Hello Rob,

I thought that you were coming to my place february 5th or 6th to the 10th... is it down to only 2 days now?

samishii na.

Otherwise I could probably organize a little something on Thursday the 9th or Friday the 10th, simply reserving a big seminar room at LBS, put the chairs out of the way (I've seen people do that to practice yoga) and gather a few martially minded people.

There are a few guys here big and small who did various martial arts, including one who was a combat instructor in the marines.

Of course we could also make it open to outside people;

what do you think?

gerald
Old 01-10-2006, 01:10 AM   #8
Mat Hill
England
Hey Gerald!

Happy New Year mate - sorry, just recently checked my mail, I'll get back to you by PM also, but...

if you do make this happen, and if you can plan it very quickly, like I said I should be able to generate some interest from my old dojo-mates in Birmingham.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:14 AM   #9
Mat Hill
England
Cheers Rob.

Thanks for the answer.

I was wondering what happened to the wu bu chuan (I'm not Chinese-infatuated but it is a Chinese exercise!) since it was such a staple of what he was teaching when I was there...

Intrigued by the twisted manji! I'll have to try those sometime... and that new-fangled ('old-fangled'!?) Ten Jin Chi. He wasn't doing that then either.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:40 PM   #10
Upyu
Re: Akuzawa in Paris Feb 11 - 12th / London ?

Quote:
Gerald Fabrot wrote:
Hello Rob,

I thought that you were coming to my place february 5th or 6th to the 10th... is it down to only 2 days now?

samishii na.

Otherwise I could probably organize a little something on Thursday the 9th or Friday the 10th, simply reserving a big seminar room at LBS, put the chairs out of the way (I've seen people do that to practice yoga) and gather a few martially minded people.

There are a few guys here big and small who did various martial arts, including one who was a combat instructor in the marines.

Of course we could also make it open to outside people;

what do you think?

gerald
ww kitaaaaaaaaa Uwasa no Beligan G! Nanchatte

That was the plan, but knowing Ark the "plan" is well...more like something he just spouted off the top his head.
Nori just told me we're having an extended stay in Europe in general, so we'll most likely be staying at your place until the 10th like you said.
If Ark's down, we could probably have an informal gathering. It wouldn't be up to the content being shown at the seminar, but if Ark's there I'm sure he won't be against touching hands with anyone.
Besides I'm always down for screwing around with other people (martially...lol)

Matt: If you know anyone interested, by all means have them hit me up at foshizzlepizzle at hotmail dot com
Old 01-12-2006, 06:38 AM   #11
Mat Hill
England

i'll give it a miss this time if its such an informal get-together.

not everybody in the uk lives in london you know!

next time, give me plenty of notice and i'll get a bunch together.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:29 AM   #12
Mat Hill
England

How'd it go Rob? Gerald?
Old 02-19-2006, 01:58 PM   #13
Edwin Neal
Dojo: Ronin
United_States

i too have been following this on a couple of different forums and am interested in the following
1. will it be applicable to performance of aikido or any other MA
2. what exercises solo and paired are done? are any of them done in any aikido styles?
3. will some senior people from any aikido orgs. give it a go and give a review?
4. will there be seminars in the US in various regions?... i am southeast coast...
5. will he make videos/dvd's or books available at some time.
6. has anyone 'used' it in a fully resistant, MMA situation?
looking forward to reviews comments.

Edwin Neal

Old 02-20-2006, 03:50 AM   #14
jss
Netherlands

1. Yes.
2. I won't/can't describe all the exercises, but we did do front and back rolls and a variation of kokyu ho in which you got to pin the wrists to the thighs and the only objective was to raise your arms correctly.
3.-5. Don't know.
6. Rob (Upyu) is using it in bjj now. Akuzawa is planning to use it in Sanda. But you'd better ask Rob himself.
AFAIK it is usable in MMA, but to do so, your body needs to learn a different way of moving and then you need to be calm enough mentally to use this specific way of moving. I believe this is the reason why so many of the internal martial artists get all 'religious' and 'meditative'.

ps.: There are threads on e-budo and bullshido as well.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:12 AM   #15
Edwin Neal
Dojo: Ronin
United_States

thanks Joep... i've been following it in those places too...

Edwin Neal

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!