Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-07-2006, 10:14 AM   #1
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
mission statement

~~Something I've been thinking about and examining for the past couple of years is: Do dojo have 'mission statements' like companies, the equivilent of course. I've know dojo that have struggled with their enrollment, structure, esprit de corps and very idendity at times. They are trying to become healthy again and can't figure out where things went wrong. I just think that if they had a focus point to return to, a clear understanding of what it is they are trying to foster as a dojo, then the correct and helpful questions would naturally arise from the areas of void in the origional concept. Then the trick is to honestly assess where they are today and how far off that concept they have strayed; then be willing to do the work to return to health and growth. Again, having a clear focus point would help greatly in the assessment. Perhaps even an annonomous canvassing of the members at large would help with clarity of vision, so it's not just a small group missing many other pertinant views. One good question is: Why do you no longer attend regularily/at all this dojo?

It is worth the effort
Spinningmonkey

~~Paula~~
Old 01-07-2006, 01:06 PM   #2
SeiserL

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan Dojo, Aikido World Alliance
United_States
Re: mission statement

Can't answer the question about why people don't attend, because I do.

But I really want to second the thought that its a good idea to find out why people don't. IMHO, having a good business plan would help a lot of dojos and provide more consistent places to train.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 01-07-2006, 01:41 PM   #3
James Kelly
Dojo: Glendale Aikikai
United Nations

Many dojo are not for profit organizations and as such are required to have a mission statement. How well the statement is adhered to I'm sure varies from place to place. They are also required to have an annual meeting to elect board members and to bring any business up the membership sees fit. Also I've seen a few dojo where something like a mission statement is posted on the wall in the form of general principals to follow, or teaching goals.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:07 PM   #4
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

Teacher/Leader/Example

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 01-07-2006, 02:23 PM   #5
Robert Wolfe
Dojo: Itten Dojo
United_States

We've thought about mission statements on several occasions (but have never published one). Some were kind of elaborate, but when you get right down to it most amount to: Build black belts.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:15 AM   #6
crbateman
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

One sensei I know has an interesting mission statement: "Teach Aikido".

At times when enrollment is low, I have worried to him about how the bills will get paid. "I will pay them..." is always the answer. When a promising student abruptly stops coming, I will worry as to the reason. "That is Aikido..." is always the answer. If I venture that I do not particularly agree with those thoughts, "Good..." is always the answer.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:33 AM   #7
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

I have one on my home page: http://members.cox.net/aikidoc1

It will evolve over time.

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.