Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-04-2005, 07:44 AM   #76
Mat Hill
Dojo: Kaminari Shooto Dojo
England
Re: Instr. in Tokyo throws people w/ Pinky

Quote:
Roy Dean wrote:
"(None of the shooto guys over here in Japan want anything to do with him. He had a bad reputation over here about 8 years back since he tended to send his full contact students to the hospital)"

You've mentioned this a few times. And the Shooto organization didn't try to recruit him? Or Pancrase? Or Pride? They're willing to pay foreign fighters tens of thousands of dollars, and have international tryouts for their organizations, but refuse to bring in a native son because he's too dangerous? Did the Shooto guys relay this information to you? How did you hear about this?
Rob mate, you didn't answer this gentleman's question.

I don't want to speak for Ryan and he doesn't speak for the shooto organisation anyway by any means, but I strongly suspect that he wouldn't want to train with Akuzawa for a number of reasons;

1) He's busy at work. He teaches at Kaminari and Purebred.
2) He's busy training. He's a professional fighter, so he doesn't necessarily have time to try out something off the beaten track of proven pro-fighters' regimes. This is in some ways a shame - that he doesn't think out of his box, but in no ways indicative that he doesn't want anything to do with the likes of Akuzawa because Akuzawa is too deadly!
3) He had a bad reputation over here about 8 years back since he tended to send his full contact students to the hospital. If this is verbatim, this kind of thing is precisely why Akuzawa will not get students to stay. His skills are great, and I like him personally, but in the modern world he's a freak - an anachronism! A pro-fighter will not want to train like that because if he gets injured his career is f***ed. It's that simple. Even little injuries are going to up the insurance, and cut the number of years in the business. Shooto fighters are not in the Pride or K1 league in terms of prizes; many of them, despite being comparable in skill level to Pride, have not crossed into it yet, and the competition is fierce, so they are constantly struggling. So why would they risk training with someone who doesn't have the control or who has something to prove against sport fighters?

And since I'm being frank, in the same way many martial hobbyists will not be dedicated enough for Akuzawa. I'm no hobbyist by any means, I've put the time in, and I live it, think it, dream it, but I left his dojo because I didn't have the time to put the dedication in that he would demand, with my schedule. Although I actually go to Kaminari as often as I can, I know that if I'm injured or busy I can drop out for a couple of months if need be (as recently happened) and Ryan will say to come back when I can. He'll push me, but he won't injure me!
Old 12-14-2005, 10:13 PM   #77
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote:
Is this the same Daniel Harden who argued about Ki with Mike Sigman in the aikidojournal.com?

You don't really believe Ki after all.

No, actually I don't.
I believe in Ki. There are some definite things that are Ki or Qi. It was an old way of thinking and describing how things worked. Some of the things were pretty interesting because even though there was not much technology in the old days, there was a LOT of study of the human body and how it worked. They found some cute tricks and labeled them under the general heading of "Ki". I've looked at those cute tricks for a number of years and they're real, they can be reproduced easily enough and they obey the laws of physics (even if they appear unusual to someone unfamiliar with them). What I DON'T believe in is the bogus "mysterious force of the universe" that so many westerners have mistakenly come up with as the definition of Ki. But because they've got the definition wrong doesn't mean that there isn't something real called "ki". People just need to find out what it is before they get too committed.

Mike
Old 12-16-2005, 04:04 AM   #78
DH
United_States

Ki tricks are displays of physical principles.
Breath work is simply physical.
I can stand and hold a bo with two guys pushing at me and they collapse. My breathing will be not discernable
I have a new guy with a year training who can hold off a 270 pound (ten year man) pushing at him and the guy collapsed at his feet.

I will state catagorically that these skills are Japanese in origin, were school specific and were taught to me through a Japanese style. The same style that taught Ueshiba before he started Aikido. I just no longer use them that way.
I know how I do it.
I know how to teach it
I don't believe in Ki as a force.

Since these skills are not only explainabe- they are replicable. Which, by definition, means they can be taught, leads me to a conclusion. Why is it that all men -who trained in a single style- did not receive it?
It is my belief they were, and are, intentionally held back from students.

I will leave it up to history to state when, how and IF they came from China. Only recently did I discover they existed anywhere else outside of this Japanese art. I dismissed the Chinese arts all together through my own ignorance- embarassing as that is to admit. I still am learning their terminology for the same principles (like reverse breathing) which I was taught as a method that made your body feel hard to punches and kicks.
How they are displayed and what method they may be demonstrated in is school/style specific. They can be applied to anything involving the human body including everything from arm wrestling to bouldering.
We just get caught up in the displays of body work as a "martial art" power.

cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 12-16-2005 at 04:18 AM.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:37 AM   #79
roosvelt
Canada

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote:

I have a new guy with a year training who can hold off a 270 pound (ten year man) pushing at him and the guy collapsed at his feet.

I will state catagorically that these skills are Japanese in origin, were school specific and were taught to me through a Japanese style.
I see, you just don't like the defintion of "ki" used by some people.

What is this Japanese style? Thanks.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:27 PM   #80
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Daito ryu...

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 12-16-2005, 03:59 PM   #81
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote:
I can stand and hold a bo with two guys pushing at me and they collapse. My breathing will be not discernable
Exactly why do these guys "collapse", Dan? Do you mean that someone throws them, takes their balance away, or something along those lines. A casual reader might get the idea that since the current discussion is about Ki, somehow Ki is causing them to collapse.

Regards,

Mike "Or Maybe You Mean they Deflate?" Sigman
Old 12-16-2005, 05:36 PM   #82
DH
United_States

Hi Mike
I think you know about manipulating the stick through their grip. This isn't that. Depending on what I do the energy goes into their knees or into their center. Sometimes is makes them nauseas. Stick work has a much greater focus then pushing with hands or grabs. It is also more with Kokyu as a directing energy. I don't know what the CMA does but lest just say you can receive and send with direction. Again the hands on my end are light and free. Even out to finger tips holds against a strong push. I also play with just using my stomach.
The feel-if I can just use that to talk about it-is as if the guys hands are pushing with all his strength but he doesn't know why he has no power. With double chest pushing- the energy is in the center of his hands and captured there. From there you can manipulat them to simply feel like they are being drained and they collapse at your feet.
Not that you ever going to get attacked in any of these ways-but we use it for judo style grappling and to capture arms in punching as well. There they sometimes feel sick to their stomach as well. It's just a test. Nothing more nothing less. Crushing energy you already know about.
Cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 12-16-2005 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:48 PM   #83
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote:
Hi Mike
I think you know about manipulating the stick through their grip. This isn't that. Depending on what I do the energy goes into their knees or into their center. Sometimes is makes them nauseas.
Are these students of yours, Dan? I.e., do you think you would make me or someone else nauseous if I was holding the stick? I've never had it happen to me, although I've seen a lot of people who say someone made them feel strange or made them go through the air, etc. Making people nauseous or making them collapse is quite a feat if you can do it anyone. I've been told I'm not sensitive enough. Even my wife says that sometimes.

Mike
Old 12-16-2005, 09:16 PM   #84
Mike Collins
United_States

I wish you guys would create (and publicise) a seminar showing all of this stuff. I understand it may not be teachable in a short seminar, but I'd sure like to feel it. It SOUNDS like baloney to me, but my own teacher does stuff I can't yet understand, so it might just be valid.

I tend to skepticism. But I'm teachable if I feel something that makes me believe.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:29 PM   #85
DH
United_States

Mike Collins
1. It is valid as hell. It has been done for decades and filmed and witneessed. You are just getting to talk with normal folk who are doing it and not playing the sensei game. Well, we aren't really saying what we're doing though are we?
I think those of us who do this will tell you we understand your sceptisism. I didn't believe it either when it was being done to me.. But on the flip side you were not here during all of our failures and frustratons either.
To be clear, the things I am talkng about just now are training tools they are not fighting. The body work has serious benefits in fighting -but none of it is as prfound as the training exercises. I doubt you will get anyone who has done serious internal work to be bragging all over the place about it. Its just hard work bud.
Looong and hard with many failures. I don't mind saying that we are still like kids, very enthusiatic equally with guys who are coming along and wi5th our own successes. There is simply no ego about it. How can there be after all the work! It isnlt handed to anyone. And the flip side of that is that we are not really driven to prove it.
I mean this nicely so don't take it wrong.
I really don't give a S!#$ if no one believes it. I have been doing this and openly talking about it for 15 years. Anyone who doubts it all I say is "Oh well."
We don't advertise. Don't accept students- so other than a few people on the net, no one knows and no one cares anyway.

Mike Sigman
Yeah pretty much only my guys for certain things. The queasiness doesn't always happen-its occasional. We train for hours on end so that may be a contributing factor. We have traned from 7:30 till 12:30 at night many times. we just get going and innovate. Some things still vex me. I still get frustrated that at times it isn't "instant on" and it gets better as the night progresses. Talk to me in another ten years maybe.
But with both the training side and the martial side I am getting more and more pleased with things. I have had friends at the gym push, pile drive ad shove me, and have freestyes with varioud wrestlers ans fighters for years now and am pleased with the results. But I have always been convinced that with connection exercises there is a trained response feed-back loop that gets artificial. Its one of the reasons I keep blowing things up and changing them to continue to get new input. two weeks ago I started punching and connecting forward and having guys pile drive in from the side. then doping a connection through people. In others words one guy (A) is shoving at another (B) and I grab (B) and manipulate (A) throughthe body of (B) and so on.
The side impact work was surpisingly very abrupt and devestating to the pusher. This worked well with volunteers also.

Have you noticed that when both parties are centering and are "on "it is vastly different game? When I am not pushing but competing with gripos for control it can just get stupid looking..nothing happens.... then wham. Sometimes nothig happens at all and we just stalemate. It is quite different having someone use natural muscle and more fun having untrained people react. I had a Boxer play with me a couple of months ago who's center was surprisingly easy to grab and control through his punches. I like failing with certain things, and experiementing with others. It prevents boredom and keeps the edge going.
Anyway...enough one-sided conversation you never offer mch feedback and it was what I was asking for in the first place
The rossetta stone was not needed ....just a curiosity. Though it is always pleasant chatting with you. We should just get together and compare notes or exercises some day.

cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 12-16-2005 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:08 PM   #86
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote:
Yeah pretty much only my guys for certain things. The queasiness doesn't always happen-its occasional.
My only real comment about this, Dan, is that it's difficult to reconcile "reproducible" with "occasional".
Quote:
Have you noticed that when both parties are centering and are "on "it is vastly different game?
I've noticed that a lot of stuff that works with people who are used to working with others doesn't work outside against experienced people. That's why I very seldom will say what I can do or think I can do... it's come back to haunt me and others, as well.
Quote:
Anyway...enough one-sided conversation you never offer mch feedback and it was what I was asking for in the first place
The rossetta stone was not needed ....just a curiosity. Though it is always pleasant chatting with you. We should just get together and compare notes or exercises some day.
Heck, I think I talk too much, as it is. However, a lot of what I say is geared toward eliciting information, ultimately, although I think I've given at least as much as I've gotten. But I've learned a lot of things and gotten a lot of leads this year. It's been a very productive year for new information.

Regards,

Mike
Old 12-17-2005, 07:17 AM   #87
DH
United_States

Oh you kill me............I hope you are as much fun in person as you are here. I hope you realize you are more transparent then you think you are. I am taking the bait for others who are reading as well

OK.... I'll bite.... .
The cramping -which you have been told about by me and others who have experienced it in this style does not always produce nausea. It is a common enough experience and we all talk about. It is very natural to say to each other --"I thought I was gong to crap myself-that was weird." However, the methodology is consistent. It is also just one way to produce a response to unlock and control their center from a push. Their pushing against something they cannot find and theirs is on a roller coaster ride.
As for discussion, openness, declarative statements and failures- many of the guys we have been yakking with or in front of these past months have known me for years-even more than several here know about. I openly talk about success, I openly talk about failure. There is no ego about it as I know that most guys in these arts cannot do this stuff or come close to it anyway.
So why talk about it?
I decided years ago to openly talk about potentials-not technique just what could be done- particularly to the Aikido community. We are "supposed" to be a group or community of artists discussing this road we are all on. Some people who have recently been nice to you and I-told me then- this training was crap. It is only now that more voices have been raised that they have finally caught on.

Here's another chomp on the bait-again for others reading. A friend of mine can recieve the push with his feet squared really well-well if I only just push. I only have been doing it in han-mi. Yet he also cannot use it martially and could not hit worth a damn-It has never failed me in the last ten years. But his prompt has sent me further in that direction. We also have methods to undo..these internal efforts. I can undo him with one hand if I so choose. He wants me to meet his teacher. So is there something in the Japanese stuff not known to the CMA guys?
Monkeys fall from trees..but they are the best climbers in the world. We keep climbing anyway. We also keep getting better. I look forward to the next 20 years.

Cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 12-17-2005 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:43 AM   #88
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote:
Here's another chomp on the bait-again for others reading. A friend of mine can recieve the push with his feet squared really well-well if I only just push. I only have been doing it in han-mi. Yet he also cannot use it martially and could not hit worth a damn-It has never failed me in the last ten years. But his prompt has sent me further in that direction.
He can use a certain amount of actual jin; yours is more of a brace-jin. Doesn't matter if someone can hit with it or not; that's a separate issue.
Quote:
We also have methods to undo..these internal efforts. I can undo him with one hand if I so choose. He wants me to meet his teacher. So is there something in the Japanese stuff not known to the CMA guys?
More probably his teacher doesn't know very much. Not everyone that does Japanese martial arts represents the full spectrum of knowledge in Japanese martial arts.... I don't go meet the average Aikido instructor and slam Japanese martial arts because his knowledge is limited. I don't judge Chinese martial arts by the average role-playing instructor, either. I just keep looking. Wang Hai Jun visits Boston occasionally.... you should go meet him and compare notes.

Regards,

Mike
Old 12-18-2005, 10:17 PM   #89
DH
United_States

Braced Jin? Bracing? That’s usually the last thing they do before they are lifted from the ground, slid across the floor or thrown. Perhaps you don’t understand what I mean by a relaxed but stable and transitional core, and what I mean by not being able to find our center. If you guys are doing things that relate to bracing yourself than I'll pass................ There is nothing in that worth having. Your center will quickly be found and undone. I know that sounds declarative-but it is as simple as that. What I am talking about is another world from there. You should, at the very least, be able to establish your root and any given contact point-with everything in between free and readily available to use.
How surprising.
The ability to generate power and to hit I -do- find relevant as I also consider it indicative of understanding some other things on the inside. Overall I consider rooting as a separate but equal issue to some other things we do to control.
Cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 12-18-2005 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:22 AM   #90
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote:
Braced Jin? Bracing? That's usually the last thing they do before they are lifted from the ground, slid across the floor or thrown. Perhaps you don't understand what I mean by a relaxed but stable and transitional core, and what I mean by not being able to find our center. If you guys are doing things that relate to bracing yourself than I'll pass................ There is nothing in that worth having. Your center will quickly be found and undone. I know that sounds declarative-but it is as simple as that. What I am talking about is another world from there. You should, at the very least, be able to establish your root and any given contact point-with everything in between free and readily available to use.
How surprising.
Well, there's nothing surprising about what I said... you appeared to be saying that a friend of yours can root with his feet squared (parallel) and that you need a hanmi stance but you're exploring how to do it with your feet parallel. I was simply telling you the only reason why that disparity would exist, Dan. The reason Tohei and others will demonstrate rooting on one leg is to show that they do not need any sort of a "brace" (i.e., it's easy to see when someone needs the back foot stuck out behind them in order to "root", no matter how "centered" they think they are.) I'm not sure why you think it's 'surprising' that I would make a basic observation like this. Do you have another explanation of why your friend roots with his feet squared and you require a stance?
Quote:
The ability to generate power and to hit I -do- find relevant as I also consider it indicative of understanding some other things on the inside. Overall I consider rooting as a separate but equal issue to some other things we do to control.
Well, that's all I was saying, also. If your friend can root fairly well doesn't have a lot to tell us about whether he can hit. Learning and practicing your root is a separate subject from how well someone can hit. I don't practice my hitting the way I used to, so it's probably comparatively weak compared to what it was in the past. What few hits I practice nowadays tend to be full-length punches or zero-inch (hand on the target without moving the hand OR SHOULDER back) punches. But since I don't get into as many actual fights nowadays as I used to, I don't spend a lot of time doing it.

FWIW

Mike
Old 01-01-2006, 11:09 AM   #91
Mike Sigman
United_States
"Concealed Strength": Essence of Kokyu

I've just finished reading another person's comments about the video clips that Rob John posted showing his teacher Akuzawa demonstrating his usages of kokyu. Almost all of the the critiques I've read about Akuzawa's demo's were negative. The 'techniques' didn't look too good or 'any low-level so-and-so can do those things smoother'. Etc. I think that's the heart of the problem in Aikido and some other arts, particularly in the West... people are looking for the technique and not truly accepting the fact that there can be something there that they, in all their wisdom and experience, don't see.

A friend of mine at the Boulder Aikikai reported that the karateka, Ushiro, while doing a workshop in Boulder showed a number of kokyu usages (although my friend appeared to be looking mainly at the techniques, also). He said Ushiro said, "No kokyu, no Aikido". Actually, since Ushiro does Karate, he would have said the same thing about karate: "No kokyu, no karate". But there's a real problem with this strength-vector skill.... you can't see it unless you know what to look for and even then it's hard to see in a skilled practitioner. This form of strength is often called "the concealed strength" for this very reason.

When I watched Akuzawa's video clips, I didn't pay a lot of attention to the technique, other than to think, "he could have used spiffier techniques, but I see that he's demonstrating kokyu". I watched and decided "yes, he's using it, but his students are cooperative enough that I can't get a reading of just how strong his usage is". A few other readers on this forum have indicated the same things I saw in conversations with me. So what it boils down to is that one of the big stumbling blocks to learning about kokyu skills is (a.) finding someone who can honestly do them (a lot of people claim to use kokyu; not that many actually do) and (b.) being able to recognize what kokyu is. But it was very telling that most of the comments were about the techniques, not the way the kokyu was used. With those kinds of blinders on, there is undoubtedly a question about what's going on in the Aikido community.

"No kokyu, no Aikido".... because kokyu isn't some add-on that you choose to use or not use; it is the core strength of real Aikido, real Karate, real Japanese martial arts, real Chinese martial arts, etc. The problem is partly that it hasn't been openly taught... but the problem is also partly that many people can't see past their own noses and assume that they're seeing everything. The limit of subtlety and complexity in many martial arts, as perceived by westerners, is fairly easy to divine by anyone who has been in these martial arts for, let's say, six months. In other words, most people maybe cannot do high-level stuff, but they can 'grok' it and appreciate it, in their minds, after not even a year's work. This low appreciation of Asian martial arts is quite a bit different from what you hear from many Asians. To them, "it is very deep". Either they're dummies and westerners just pick things up quicker... or westerners are missing something about the complexities. And kokyu and ki skills are at the heart of the complexities.

Maybe Akuzawa's videos should be revisited?

FWIW

Mike
Old 01-01-2006, 08:17 PM   #92
Mato-san
Iceland

Hi Rob,
I live a little way from Tokyo, but may join your class one day. My shihan does the same `Palour Tricks` they are very impressive but when he displays them it is for a purpose. To back up principles with what he calls `shadow training` really its the same as any of the wrist grabs, but the timing and flow of the shihans waza is perfected to such a state that he needs little effort to apply these techniques, and little "strength", I believe Tohei Sensei used shadow training a lot in his teaching style. I am all for seeing any sensei in action because all aikido is good aikido, I am 90kg and 180cm tall and my shihan has little trouble throwing me around.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:36 PM   #93
Mike Sigman
United_States

Fair enough, Jun.... move my post to "Open Discussions" like it has nothing to do with Aikido, but ask Hiroshi why he's inviting Ushiro Sensei, the karate instructor, back to Boulder to give a workshop at the dojo. It's your forum and you can micro-manage through what you see as Aikido, but I think you're trying to imprint your views on others (I hope that's a fair enough comment for you to leave in "Other" discussions without erasing it). When you moved Rob's discussions (this current thread in the heading) about Akuzawa and kokyu to the "other" discussions, you raised a lot of eyebrows and made a lasting impression about your views of Aikido. Even Mark Reeder got involved in the discussion. If you'd like to actively discuss the mechanics of Aikido and you have something to contribute to discussions other than micro-management, you're welcome to come onto the QiJing List to show us what you know. Anything substantive that applies to the jin/kokyy/ki discussions is welcome there.

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Old 01-01-2006, 09:17 PM   #94
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Mathew McDowell wrote:
Hi Rob,
I live a little way from Tokyo, but may join your class one day. My shihan does the same `Palour Tricks` they are very impressive but when he displays them it is for a purpose. To back up principles with what he calls `shadow training` really its the same as any of the wrist grabs, but the timing and flow of the shihans waza is perfected to such a state that he needs little effort to apply these techniques, and little "strength", I believe Tohei Sensei used shadow training a lot in his teaching style. I am all for seeing any sensei in action because all aikido is good aikido, I am 90kg and 180cm tall and my shihan has little trouble throwing me around.
Hi Mathew:

I think you've got a pretty healthy approach... you're sceptical, but you're willing to look. I hope that you'll report your findings and impressions as well. There's a tendency in Aikido to protect the status quo, but as long as some people are willing to get out and look, appraise, and be appraised themselves, things will continue to improve. The people who work to guard the status quo and their own positions within it are nothing but a detriment to the arts they supposedly practice, IMO.

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Old 01-02-2006, 02:55 AM   #95
Mato-san
Iceland

What I am getting at is that I also am thrown around by sensei with his pinky, not just as a parlour trick but as a shadow of a wrist technique, to demonstrate that the power comes not from the strenght in the limb but in the timing and physics of the technique! I am by no means a sceptic.
Its not super human its shihan.

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!
Old 01-02-2006, 07:00 AM   #96
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo

Quote:
Mathew McDowell wrote:
What I am getting at is that I also am thrown around by sensei with his pinky, not just as a parlour trick but as a shadow of a wrist technique, to demonstrate that the power comes not from the strenght in the limb but in the timing and physics of the technique! I am by no means a sceptic.
Its not super human its shihan.
Sup Matt
It's not timing, and its not perfection of the technique. In fact his technique is rather "rough" in the videos because he elected to not put those factors (timing/clever use of simple, ie non-groundpath vectors)

But, it has to be felt to be understood(the feel is completely and utterly different)
I can do this stuff to a large degree as well, and I can tell you that it probably has almost nothing to do with the "shadowing" description you gave(I used to do MAs with the emphasis you described as well. Once you touch someone with this kind of skill, you'll know pretty much who's the real deal and who's just talk).
And I don't think Ark is superhuman either. I can do the finger "trick" with my index on most amateurs now. (Thats pretty good for only two years of training I think)

We'd love to have you tho, we've been hurting for big guys ^^;
Hit me up with a PM and I'll give you my contact info.

PS What's funny is that a lot of people complain that the people in the video were overtly cooperative.. but there've been a lot of people that've passed through the Aunkai, get held down by some of the students who are seemingly being "cooperative". Ark just makes it look "cooperative" because of the huge gap in skill. If you touch him you'll understand :-p

Last edited by Upyu : 01-02-2006 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:00 AM   #97
Mato-san
Iceland

I do not know how to explain myself here, my understanding of hands on is "understood", within myself in our own dojo. I feel the power of the pinky regularly. Its sounds to me as if you are putting out challenges to the aikido world. Or my sensei is better than yours type deal.The shadow training terminology is not just applied to technique but principles too. However dont get me wrong, It sounds as if you have a great place to train. And you should continue to train under such a skilled instructor. Is your Aikido journey about becoming the next MMA champ? Is your instructor a cross training engineer?What are your goals? I am curious not being assertive. So with all due respect. And yes I would love to come to your dojo as a larger type westerner, as a guest, not as a challanger ! I think that is "the way" dont you?

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!
Old 01-02-2006, 08:18 AM   #98
Mato-san
Iceland

Ohh if its about challengers, I may have entered the wrong thread. Yeah I can hold my own, but I ain`t going out of my to prove it, or I would have stuck with other dabbling arts. And I am a huge fan of MMA. As a sport not a "way". Since I found Aikido I have found placid, calm and peaceful ways to a mispent youth of violence and other things not to be mentioned. My "Bushido" spirit has been proven in the past. If you know were I might be able to train with the likes of Gomi, then please shed light. Otherwise dont take me as an aggressor or over anylist of anything, Just a a lover of the way and the peace it has bought to someone who was down, out and a street scrapper, to use the term lightly. So dont get me wrong!

Old 01-02-2006, 08:27 AM   #99
Mato-san
Iceland

Ohh yeah 1 more thing Mark you sound hard, I would like to train with you some day!
Old 01-02-2006, 08:29 AM   #100
Mato-san
Iceland

Mike

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!