Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-12-2005, 02:51 PM   #1
Delvin

Dojo: CSM Aikido JAA/USA
United_States
Lightbulb Bonding

I am brand new, again, to Aikido. I had an introduction to Aikido a few years back and Joined a group, they used traditional teaching styles and gave me an almost instantiations love for Aikido. I knew it fit my personality more than some martial arts, (a friend of mine tried getting me to join him with his group, some kind of Okinawan Shorin-Ryu or Wado-Ryu where you stand and someone hits you with a rod. Didn't look fun. Apologies if its not one of these to those who use them)
One thing that this location did that I have missed at others is that after the hard workout there was a time of sharing "massage" -- I think it was some kid of "Shiatsu." This added to the feeling of closeness, I never felt as if I was there just to take a fall, but that after giving me a workout as Uke it almost felt as if they were saying -- "thanks for doing well -- now its payback as I know you cant toss me around like I did to you."
We moved and it was some time before I found another group to work with. This one had another similar practice, but it was about the stretching before each session, we worked in groups of two or three and helped each other stretch. This included a slap when the stretch was getting uncomfortable and helped me to feel less like slapping the mat was a sign of weakness, an attitude I quickly lost.
I'm wondering if others have similar "bonding" practices in their dojo.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:04 PM   #2
Delvin

United_States
Re: Bonding

Also does anyone know of a good diagram or explanation of how to correctly tie a obi.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:44 PM   #3
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

Ostoff sensei and Nevelius sensei, at their seminars, use a long series of partner-assisted stretches as a cooldown. They make a warm atmosphere in the dojo, very intimate--I really like this. When you have spent a whole weekend mainly being touched by people who, however compassionately, are simulating an attack, it's nice to end up with touch that is more supportive. I haven't learned the stretches well enough to try teaching them, alas.

Mary Kaye
Old 12-13-2005, 01:08 AM   #4
Sonja2012

Dojo: Aikido Verein Esslingen
Germany

Quote:
Daniel Recker wrote:
Also does anyone know of a good diagram or explanation of how to correctly tie a obi.
Not sure if this is the "correct" way (I was told it is actually the karate way of tying a knot, but personally I am not too fussed about that), but here is a link to a site that shows a knot that literally never comes undone.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:56 AM   #5
eyrie

Australia

It is said that you cannot hide your true self on the mat. This is where real bonding occurs.

Ignatius
Old 12-13-2005, 09:19 AM   #6
Delvin

United_States

Thanks all - Make your newbies feel welcome - it makes for a better Uke and that makes better nage leading to better Ukemi. Thanks for the link on the Obi - that helps. Now I'm tempted to ask for a traslation but the pictures will do.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:32 PM   #7
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

Hi Daniel, here is a much shorter and not so confusing way to tie your obi. This was taught to me by my first Sensei from Japan. I assume you already know steps 1 & 2.
1) find the middle of the obi and place it where the belt buckle lies
2) wrap both ends around your waist
3) place the right end of the obi over the left end of the obi and wrap it around like a pretzel
4) pull tight onto your body
5) now wrap the left end of the obi over the right end of the obi and wrap it around like a pretzel
6) pull tight

I hope this makes sense. If done well, it won't come off. I've never had a problem.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:58 PM   #8
Lorien Lowe
Dojo: Northcoast Aikido

I don't remember much about my first aikido class - mostly, I was just totally blown away - but I do think that the pound-down we gave each other at the end of class was what set the hook. Nothing formal or shiatsu-ish, just sitting behind one's partner and whapping them with the fists about the shoulders and back. It's a great way to end practice.

-LK
Old 12-14-2005, 07:13 PM   #9
Delvin

United_States
Question Re: Bonding

Ok mike thaks- clarification time: am I tying a knot ie.(right over left under and around) wraping the two pices or is the wrap around like a pretzel also go around the part that you put around your waist?

ok i think i made it harder.
Dan

Quote:
Mike Braxton wrote:
Hi Daniel, here is a much shorter and not so confusing way to tie your obi. This was taught to me by my first Sensei from Japan. I assume you already know steps 1 & 2.
1) find the middle of the obi and place it where the belt buckle lies
2) wrap both ends around your waist
3) place the right end of the obi over the left end of the obi and wrap it around like a pretzel
4) pull tight onto your body
5) now wrap the left end of the obi over the right end of the obi and wrap it around like a pretzel
6) pull tight

I hope this makes sense. If done well, it won't come off. I've never had a problem.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:20 PM   #10
Chiburi
United_States

I believe the meaning of the first "pretzel" is to go under the part you put around your waist. The second "pretzel" is just with the hanging ends. Try to make your hanging ends the same length...that's what my Sensei likes, I don't know if it's a big deal at your dojo or not.
Hope that helps!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!