Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-04-2005, 06:57 PM   #1
KevinB
Dojo: Green Bay Aikikai
United_States
Aikido verses other arts

At what rank can you open your own dojo? I've been in Tae Kwon Do for 7 years and am changing over to Aikido. I was wondering if this is usual in Aikido. In Tae Kwon Do you need to be a 3rd degree to do it the correct way.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:30 PM   #2
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido
Re: Aikido verses other arts

Quote:
Kevin Barnes wrote:
At what rank can you open your own dojo? I've been in Tae Kwon Do for 7 years and am changing over to Aikido. I was wondering if this is usual in Aikido. In Tae Kwon Do you need to be a 3rd degree to do it the correct way.
Ideally, you should be a black belt. In the U.S., there are lots of 1st degree black belts running a dojo. The truth is though that by the ordinary standard, whether or not you could do it would depend on your Shihan.He is the one who makes the request that you do so or gives the permission. In some groups, the individual federations will have their regulations and guidelines for that as well.

I think though that the larger question is, "When should you?" That's the question that will get a number of different responses.
Best,

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 12-04-2005, 07:37 PM   #3
KevinB
Dojo: Green Bay Aikikai
United_States

Hey thanks for the info. I just wanted to make sure that the that the instructors were qualified to run a school. The school that I am joining has a 3rd degree sensei that seems really god and knowledgable.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:01 PM   #4
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

How many years you have in the art is probably more important that what rank you are since the time in rank will vary widely. Training with a 3rd degree black belt is probably a safe bet if your dojo is with a good organization. I recommend reading the following link for info on selecting a dojo.
http://members.cox.net/aikidoc1/ChoosingInstructor.htm
Best,

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 12-04-2005, 11:07 PM   #5
Devon Natario

Dojo: Northwest Jujitsu/Coeur D'Alene, ID
United_States

By standards it is usually 3rd Dan or higher. Why? Because most systems you are allowed to promote people to two ranks below yourself, which means you would need to be 3rd Dan to promote 1st Dan Students.

This is the general norm for rank in all arts. There are some organizations that allow you to promote people one rank below yourself, but it's rare.

If you do learn from a 1st Dan, and your goal is to earn your Black Belt, then you should make sure your instructor is going to move forward, or that his/her instructor will test you for Shodan.

I have heard of Honbu's conducting all Shodan + testing as well.

*When it comes to learning I believe you can learn from anyone you train with. I learned a neat move from a green belt the other day.

Devon Natario
Instructor
Northwest Jujitsu