Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-27-2005, 05:24 AM   #1
WtFudgE
Damn that shoulder!!

Hi, I had to have my shoulder operated because it kept popping out (hurts like hell btw ). The thing is, I started doing aikido with my friend and now i have to wait half a year while he can keep on trying. Damn the horror!!! So frustrating, he was never better in anything, but if he keeps training while i have to sit on my lazy butt he's gonna get better than me! I have this serious issue of acknowledging people are better than me, haha. And in most of the cases, I'm right (no I'm not an egoselfish dick who thinks he's better than Jezus ) I CAN aknowledge some things, anyway, let me get back to the point. I was wondering if some people know any good methods of "training" in my condition, and I was also wondering if there are any people (who also had an operation) if they had any problems getting started again, after revalidation off course, or how they responded, what they did, etc etc.
I was just wondering
Thanks
Old 10-27-2005, 06:32 AM   #2
crbateman
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Re: Damn that shoulder!!

I have a trick shoulder that has cost me much time on the mat. It still remains to be seen whether I can escape the surgeon's knife.

I chose to make use of the down time by re-reading a good portion of my Aikido library, and endeavoring to gain a better understanding of the history, philosophy and politics of the art. Also, I have not stayed out of the dojo, but have instead traveled to other areas to visit and absorb, meet some of the more influential and learned Aikido people, attend seminars, seek out new ideas, and generally look for answers to the (many) questions I have developed through the years.

It's been an adventure of sorts, and will always have an influence on the way I train. It has shown me the rich diversity of ideas and personalities that exists within the people of Aikido, and I feel much the better for having made the journey in this manner. And the journey isn't over...
Old 10-27-2005, 11:12 AM   #3
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

shoulders are so important in aikido - diffcult to do much without it (I should know, 'cos I disslocated my collar bone along time ago). However more recently I've been thinking about the feeling of the hips directly after the start of 'contact' with an uke.

What you can practise is the foot movement, particularly the foot movement associated with holding down someone's sword in weapon work - i.e. drawing back and off centre and slightly dropping the hips whilst staying quite upright. I think a very underrated but essential movement - it is the way to draw someone out of their 'sphere of power' as Ueshiba would say.

Also, just moving from side to side with your feet (tucking back foot behind front).

Apparently the speed of Ueshiba's foot work had to be seen to be believed - and personally I think speed of footwork is one of the hardest things to develop for practical self-defence (many self-defence books say it is too slow to move your whole body, but there is a massive advantage to it).

I must admit, I tended to do alot of kicking when I first damaged my shoulder; and more recently I did tai-chi to keep my shoulder moving after some minor damage. If you can move your shoulder at all, try something gently with it (but not with a partner 'cos they tend to rip it out again!)

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 10-30-2005, 07:10 AM   #4
Anat Amitay
Dojo: Nes- Ziona, "the red house"
Israel

I can't tell you what to do in terms of Aikido training while you heal-
But my good advice is that you take your rehabilitation seriously and do Physiotherapy. Keep doing the excersices they give you in order to strengthen your shoulder so that when you do return to Aikido, you will be less prone to further damage to it.
I guess some foot work, breathing techniques and flexibility excersices can be done while you're healing (keeping the shoulder uninvolved), but I'm not experienced enough to tell you which techniques will be good and which won't.
All in all- hope you recover fast and return to do the things you love! If Aikido means alot to you, than losing half a year won't be that bad when you'll look at it in 20 years time!
Fast recovery and good health!
Anat
Old 10-30-2005, 08:29 AM   #5
AikiSean!

Dojo: Alpharetta Martial Arts
United_States

You can still go to class, learn and watch. Maybe even just have sensei go over taisabaki with you, thats the important stuff anyways.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:43 AM   #6
SeiserL

United_States

No operation yet, but major rotator cuff issues.
Physical therapy rehabiliation exercises helped.
Cardio conditioning can help. Footwork, tenkan, rhythm training.
Read and observe as much as possible.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!