Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-31-2005, 04:33 AM   #26
Hanna B
Sweden
Re: VERY Beginner Ukemi

All aikido dojos I've been in starts teaching ukemi from day one, usually only from sitting/aquatting the first weeks. Maybe this is a better way of building self confidence. Good luck and stick it out! Most of your ukemi problems, whatever they are, will simply solve over time.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:51 PM   #27
O-Ren

Dojo: Aikido of Palestine
United_States

"Ellis Amdur, in his dvd Ukemi From The Ground Up," I also have this DVD and his techniques are the S*** man. After I applied them my ukemi was so effortless I was flying all up and down the mat and everyone was like how do you do that and I cant even hear you roll. I think Amdur principles are the way to go. Just bend your knees, keep low, tuck your chin, and for goodness sake stay off your shoulder.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:00 AM   #28
LinSuHill

Dojo: Aikido-Ai / Whittier, CA
United_States

Hi, Jennifer! How did the "incredible shrinking class" finish? And how are you doing with your ukemi now? I'm betting you've moved from the eight-week beginner class into something more challenging!

I have been reading your post on beginner ukemi and all the excellent responses with a great deal of interest. My ukemi skills are not even up to where yours were a few months ago. (Ah, the joys of comparing ourselves to others...!)

LinSu

To get back one's youth one has merely to repeat one's follies.
~ Oscar Wilde
Old 10-09-2005, 11:09 AM   #29
Jenn
United_States

Linda -

Thanks for asking! As for my ukemi; while I still can improve, all the "problems" I posted about here, I am happy to say are completely gone. I still flop over to the side on my back roll if I don't have enough momentum, I can do both forward and back comfortably from a standing position, with a jo, without, several in a row, etc, with no pain or discomfort at all. Thepain problems just seemed to slowly vanish over time, though I'm sure reading some of the contents of this thread helped. In retrospect there wasn't any major thing I was doing wrong, I think it was just a matter of subtle changes, relaxing, building up a little resiliance, etc.

A couple weeks ago I braved my first test and am now 6th Kyu (Still newbie,, but NEWBIE WITH A TITLE AND A FEW BUCKS POORER! HUZZAH!) I train in the early morning and yeah, it's very different and exciting. One of the senior students, this wonderful woman, is there every morning and trying her best to nudge me along to where I can get to doing continuous practice, which I'm excited about.. that looks like the most fun! So what she has been working on with me now is to learn better to the ukemi out of techniques when I don't know what technique is coming. I still need a bit of work on that to say the least!

Hey, you're right in Brea! You should visit Musubi Dojo in Claremont.. it's just 20 minutes north on the 57 and a bit east on the 210. Actually speaking of Ukemi, there is a Donovan Waite seminar at our dojo the weekend of October 14th. http://www.musubidojo.org/ I'll probably just be watching.. I can't afford the extra money for seminars right now and I hear he's pretty intense.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:23 PM   #30
aikidojoe
Dojo: Aikido of Center City
United_States

Quote:
Jennifer Johnson wrote:
Linda -

Thanks for asking! As for my ukemi; while I still can improve, all the "problems" I posted about here, I am happy to say are completely gone. I still flop over to the side on my back roll if I don't have enough momentum, I can do both forward and back comfortably from a standing position, with a jo, without, several in a row, etc, with no pain or discomfort at all. Thepain problems just seemed to slowly vanish over time, though I'm sure reading some of the contents of this thread helped. In retrospect there wasn't any major thing I was doing wrong, I think it was just a matter of subtle changes, relaxing, building up a little resiliance, etc.

A couple weeks ago I braved my first test and am now 6th Kyu (Still newbie,, but NEWBIE WITH A TITLE AND A FEW BUCKS POORER! HUZZAH!) I train in the early morning and yeah, it's very different and exciting. One of the senior students, this wonderful woman, is there every morning and trying her best to nudge me along to where I can get to doing continuous practice, which I'm excited about.. that looks like the most fun! So what she has been working on with me now is to learn better to the ukemi out of techniques when I don't know what technique is coming. I still need a bit of work on that to say the least!

Hey, you're right in Brea! You should visit Musubi Dojo in Claremont.. it's just 20 minutes north on the 57 and a bit east on the 210. Actually speaking of Ukemi, there is a Donovan Waite seminar at our dojo the weekend of October 14th. http://www.musubidojo.org/ I'll probably just be watching.. I can't afford the extra money for seminars right now and I hear he's pretty intense.
Jennifer,

I would say that you should definitely train with Donovan. He's not too intense with beginners. While you might not appreciate EVERYTHING he's doing (Don't worry, I can't and he's my Sensei), it's a great experience. During a seminar, he's always more than happy to walk around and help out anyone who puts in effort. If you have ANY ukemi questions, he's certainly the guy to ask. Maybe just try training the one night.

Joe
Old 10-10-2005, 12:47 PM   #31
giriasis
United_States

I'm going to second what Joe said. He's not my sensei, but I train in the same organization and just recently attended one of his seminars. He is not too intense and he is very attentive and does a great job going from person to person. He has a gentle friendly demeanor about him so please don't feel intimidated by him. Try to just make it to the Friday night class for the $20 fee. It would be worth it. And when your finances get better then you can go for a whole weekend.

Anne Marie Giri
Women in Aikido: a place where us gals can come together and chat about aikido.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:32 PM   #32
Trish Greene
Dojo: Aikido-Kajukenbo Self Defense Center
United_States

OK.. I am new at rolls too.. I am getting them down and love doing them but my problem is that I always get dizzy! No..not ditzy...diZZy! We do a succession of rolls around the mat and I always have to stop after a couple so that my head stops swimming. Anyone know how to help me roll so that I DON'T get dizzy??
Old 10-11-2005, 06:08 PM   #33
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

Hi Trish,
I thought I am good in Ukemi, but after some 20 fast rolls I still get dizzy. Three tips that might help:
  • (1) roll, roll, roll and every 100 rolls, it will be a little bit better
    (2) look as long forward as possible and only dive into the roll the very last split second (you can afford to)
    (3) breathe calmly. Take breathe just before going down and breathe out slowly during the roll and standing up
If you do not have health problems that should help to improve. Maybe the professionals have even better ideas.

Happy ukemi

Dirk
Old 10-12-2005, 06:36 AM   #34
Jorx
Dojo: Pärnu Aikidoclub Singitai
Estonia

An EXCELLENT method for learning ukemi is to wrap yourself on a big medicine ball and then roll with it without letting go of the ball. Unfortunately ushiro ukemi cannot be practiced this way.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:04 PM   #35
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Jorgen Matsi wrote:
An EXCELLENT method for learning ukemi is to wrap yourself on a big medicine ball and then roll with it without letting go of the ball. Unfortunately ushiro ukemi cannot be practiced this way.
How do you tuck your head?

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 10-12-2005, 04:12 PM   #36
justin
United Kingdom

tried a few of the suggestions given in the thread and they worked a treat got a long way to go but at least i feel as if i am on the road this time not in the bushes !
thank you one and all
Old 10-12-2005, 05:49 PM   #37
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Quote:
Joe Varano wrote:
I would say that you should definitely train with Donovan
I'll add my voice to this.
He is one of the best people in the world to learn ukemi from, and the seminar I attended there were beginners and also kids from the dojo's kids classes, and he worked beautifully with them. DON'T let money stop you--talk to your instructor about some kind of accomodation be it paying over time or paying via doing work in the dojo or whatever...

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 10-12-2005, 05:51 PM   #38
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Re getting dizzy after a lot of rolls...I'm gonna be the contrarian and say WHY THE HECK IS IT IMPORTANT TO DO 20 ROLLS AT A TIME???!!!
In rapid practice, you are gonna get up and attack between rolls.
If you are in a situation where you need to keep rolling to absorb energy/travel, two or three rolls should do it otherwise you better get up and run away.
So what the heck is the POINT????

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 10-12-2005, 06:29 PM   #39
Jorx
Dojo: Pärnu Aikidoclub Singitai
Estonia

Quote:
James Davis, Jr. wrote:
How do you tuck your head?
You don't actually By going like you would in actual ukemi with a ball the speed remains small and movement very circular and soft. It has never been a problem to me nor my studetns.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:22 PM   #40
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

I can't give any better advice than has already been given. Just keep round and extending out your hands and eventually you'll be able to roll on cement if you want to. I used to practice my rolls and/or rocking on my back every day until i was able to roll around in the parking lot at work (making sure there were no rocks to land on of course). After a while I stopped training regularly and now I'm re-learning how to roll again. Moral of that story is practice practice practice and never give up!
Ganbatte!
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 10-12-2005, 08:24 PM   #41
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote:
Re getting dizzy after a lot of rolls...I'm gonna be the contrarian and say WHY THE HECK IS IT IMPORTANT TO DO 20 ROLLS AT A TIME???!!!
If you are in a situation where you need to keep rolling to absorb energy/travel, two or three rolls should do it otherwise you better get up and run away.
I used to teach the kids' class at my dojo and I can tell you rolling around in rapid succession is VERY useful! ...for shiko-roll freeze tag.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 10-12-2005, 09:48 PM   #42
Andres Almosny

Dojo: Nürnberg
Germany

hey jen.
maybe i can give you some tips.
-first of all, relax.
-second, don't think to much.
-you can start cheking what you do on the floor ukemi that dosent hurts your shoulder and do the same at standing.
-you can also imagine that you are holding a pillates ball, the huge ball some people use to exercise, in your arms and make the ukemi. this tip is because if you imagine yourself in this position, you arms are like a circle. this means that when you roll you wont hit any shoulder or elbow because there are no "corners" were your body can hit.
- relax!
- try also controling your wiegth while the ukemi, doing it slowly
- practice makes perfection
these are some tips that you can try... the first and the second one are very importan

i hope it can be usefull

andres
Old 10-13-2005, 02:57 PM   #43
aikidojoe
Dojo: Aikido of Center City
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote:
Janet,

You should always work up your endurance if possible. Getting to a point where no matter how much you're thrown, you can still do good ukemi and learn from and perform the technique. If you're too tired from doing rolls, when it's your turn to be nage, you won't be doing good technique. Plus, at some point what if you're uke for your sensei, or practicing taking randori ukemi for someone? I can definitely see the point then.
I know, this thread is talking about VERY beginner ukemi, but having the "martial" attitude trying to get better is something you should have out of respect for your dojo, sensei, and fellow deshi. Ok, daily babble completed.

Joe
Old 10-13-2005, 07:52 PM   #44
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

You should do rolls, a few at least, from day one. I like to start people off by doing them from a kneeling position. Any fear rapidly dissapears as it is so easy.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!