Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-28-2001, 03:03 AM   #1
petra
Dojo: samourais,Eindhoven
Origin of the jo

Hi everyone,

Just wondered if anyone can tell me the origin of the jo. Somehow, I got it in my head that it originated as a sort of walking stick that could be used for selfdefense while a friend of mine thinks it used to have a metal point and was used as a short spear. Neither of us knows exactly where we got the knowledge from but we have been discussing it for some time know and we haven't been able to find anything in favor or against either viewpoint. So if anyone can help us out, please do, otherwise we will be discussing this issue forever. We are both kind of stubborn where things like this are concerned .

Petra

I haven't failed, I have found 10.000 ways that won't work.
Old 08-28-2001, 05:08 AM   #2
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
As far as I am aware it is derived from the spear (thus the many thrusting attacks). I think I read this in one of Saito's books. I've never heard of the walking stick origin.

Ian
Old 08-28-2001, 09:26 AM   #3
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Bo and jo techniques most likely came from the need for something to fight with when your naginata or yari blade broke and all you were left with was a length of stick.

Also the priests in China brought over some stick techniques with their walking sticks. Pragmatic people can always grab a stick when in need. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 08-28-2001, 01:31 PM   #4
Nick
United_States
the bo was also used to hold buckets of water... hold the bo on the back of your shoulders, with buckets of water on either side... need to fight? drop, drop... you got a weapon. And if they're makin you walk back to the well, they deserve a smackdown...
Old 08-28-2001, 04:10 PM   #5
Jon C Strauss
Dojo: Rocky Mountain Ki Society
Howdy,

It's hard to say who 'invented' the jo, afterall it's just a stick.

As far as systemizing a bujustsu of it, that
was Muso Gunnosuke. It happened almost 400 years ago, after an epic battle with Miyamoto Musashi (supposedly). The ryu is called Shinto or Shindo Muso Ryu (SMR). Legend says that after being defeated with his bo by Musashi, Muso meditated on top of the mountain for a month or so and realized that he needed a shorter stick. Then he carved the jo, challenged Musashi again and won (by defeating his infamous double-sword X-block). He then let Musashi live, thereby laying the foundation for some of the merciful qualities of Jodo (the art of tehe stick).

SMR now has two main lines, the Fukuoka line and the Tokyo line. The training basically consists of two person kata, one with bokken (who always loses--yeah baby!) and the one with the jo.
In the school where I practice, tachi's (the sword wielder's) job is to cut and to be the best swordsman he/she can be. If the person with the jo is only good against bad swordsmen--why bother studying?

Because of the huge differences between the way the jo is practiced traditionally, and the modern jo in Aikido, Ueshiba-ha jo (and that of his students) is usually referred to as "aiki-jo."

Hope this helps.

Peace,
JCS
RMKS at CSU

I shall allow no man to belittle my soul by making me hate him.
--Booker T. Washington
Old 08-29-2001, 01:20 PM   #6
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Re: Origin of the jo

Quote:
Originally posted by petra
Hi everyone,

Just wondered if anyone can tell me the origin of the jo. ...
Like JCS mentioned, the jo was traditionally said to have been created by Muso Gonnosuke after being defeated by Miyamoto Musashi. He would use the jo to defeat Musashi in a second duel. According to legend, this was the only defeat Musashi would have in his entire career of 60 duels.

A good article on Muso Gonnosuke and the jo can be found at Muso Gonnosuke and the Shinto Muso-ryu Jo. A good list of links on the jo can be found at Links with Information about Shindo Muso Ryu Jodo and related topics

Last edited by tedehara : 08-29-2001 at 01:23 PM.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 09-13-2001, 03:40 PM   #7
Bill D
Also there is a fictionalized account of Muso's changing from bo to jo in John Donahue's book "Herding the Ox: the Martial Arts as Moral Metaphor." (although I think he completely misses the mark)

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!