Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-20-2005, 02:59 AM   #1
justin
United Kingdom
recovery times

I was wondering what would be the average if one exists for a beginner from the aches and pains that follows a 2 hour training session, I am in my mid thirties and find recovering from training almost running into my next training session.

I was wondering could this simply be down to the fact that I am new and my mat stamina will grow, and with greater experience of ukemi I will hopefully not ache so much in the following days.

thanks
Old 09-20-2005, 05:28 AM   #2
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall
Re: recovery times

You may get stronger as you go, but if you try to jump into daily training, it will be like "one step forward, three steps back". Every other day training gives you a recovery day in between. Generally to train two days in a row makes the second harder because you will still be stiff and sore from the previous day, making yourself more vulnerable to injury. In gassho
Old 09-20-2005, 06:53 AM   #3
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

Quote:
Justin Thomas wrote:
I was wondering what would be the average if one exists for a beginner from the aches and pains that follows a 2 hour training session, I am in my mid thirties and find recovering from training almost running into my next training session.

I was wondering could this simply be down to the fact that I am new and my mat stamina will grow, and with greater experience of ukemi I will hopefully not ache so much in the following days.

thanks
Depending on your general fitness, one or two days is normal in the beginning. At least that was what I needed resuming practice after more than 10 years absence. It is not only about correct rolling. You need muscles, your body didn't really know that they exist.
In addition I had a light arthrosis and a hip dysplasia.

But the worst pain was my shoulder. Although my ukemi was not too bad some days after classes I hardly could get my drink to the lips after classes.

This really bad time was only a few weeks. Some homoeopathic medication helped getting through. But as Mark already told: If you give your best at training, your body pays the tribute, even after years.

The only way to avoid this is stepping back and do just as much as necessary from the fitness aspect. While this would be bad behaviour in many other martial arts and even some aikido dojo, you can take this as a chance to improve your concentration and your sensitivity about your partner's power. Then you might be able to do all the techniques without much physical power.

About ukemi: don't fear the mat. If you are fightened, you act agressive to the mat and she (in German the mat is feminine, I stick to that for metaphoric reasons) strikes back. Love her and touch her softlyand she will be grateful. Don't try too much at once and you can get everywhere. All the other tips you get from your sensei/sempai.

Have much fun

Dirk
Old 09-21-2005, 01:49 AM   #4
Sonja2012

Dojo: Aikido Verein Esslingen
Germany

Quote:
Justin Thomas wrote:
Exactly.

I remember my first week´s seminar with three 90 minute sessions every day (after doing aikido for 6 months): I was so sore that even lying on the bed at night was too painful and I couldn´t sleep. It was heaven, though
Old 09-21-2005, 03:09 PM   #5
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

It is no joke about having some recovery time between sessions tho. Especially when you are just getting into the training. After all, the weightlifters work alternate days for muscle groups, and most are still sore when they return to the bench...until they are REALLY used to it. (Masochists, all of them) :P My wife is a lifter, and she is quite adamant about the rest time between sessions.

Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 09-21-2005, 04:03 PM   #6
justin
United Kingdom

trust me i wasnt joking when i asked was a serious question, thanks for the answers so far.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:32 AM   #7
Devon Natario

Dojo: Northwest Jujitsu/Coeur D'Alene, ID
United_States

I lift weights and weights you need the rest because you are tearing the muscles everytime you work out.

Now with these movements in the beginning you are going to be sore because they are new movements. After a little while, you can easily do 7 days a week.

When I started ground fighting I could only handle about twice a week for three hours each. After a month or so, I could go everyday.

I can still go everyday, but Im down to three days a week and we're about the same age.

You'll gain stamina after time.

If you are really out of shape, then take it slow. If you're in shape, you'll obviously gain stamina faster. So I guess Im trying to say that only you know youre body. So you have to do whats best for you

Devon Natario
Instructor
Northwest Jujitsu
Old 09-22-2005, 03:11 PM   #8
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States

Quote:
Justin Thomas wrote:

thanks
I've been doing aikido for over 7 years. When i started another martial art last year (shaolin) i found that the day after my shaolin practice my legs were so sore and worn out that i could hardly walk sometimes.

ibuprofen helps to a certain extent but i think the real secret is just to get up and keep on going. Eventually it goes away and the feeling u get afterwards from not letting it get to u is very rewarding.

After a while you'll get used to it and you'll very rarely get so many aches and pains. Of course , u are in your mid-thirties and i am 15 so ... i guess age could also have something to do with it.. but i obviously dont know very much about that.

-Paige
Old 09-22-2005, 03:44 PM   #9
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

Ibuprofen helps mask the pain but it actually slows down your recovery AFAIK. So if it's not absolutely necessary I wouldn't take it for ordinary soreness after training.

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 09-23-2005, 12:13 AM   #10
dyffcult
United_States

I recently returned to aikido after an almost 15 year absence. My mind remembers what my body could do then and tries to do it now. My body objects strenuously to my mind.

I find it hard to train to my body's ability. It is infinitely harder to greet the mat....my body and mind both fear injury.

I don't' want to take breaks or rest. This is not fair to my partner. My body and sometimes my mind, knows that they should, but my conscious cries out that it is not fair to my partner's training.

I struggle with this on a day to day basis, and sometimes miss training for a week because I have done more than my body should and off the mat I realize this.

Take it slow. Be willing to state your limitations on the mat. Exercise to benefit training off the mat. These are my suggestions.....now if only I could learn to listen to my own advice.

Brenda
Old 09-23-2005, 09:30 AM   #11
vjw
Dojo: Rochester Phoenix
United_States

Rest between practices is very important for recovery as you have already been advised Justin. To help speed up that recovery add stretching to the end of your practice and try to eat something within 40 minutes after it. You should also have a good meal 90 minutes before you start training. This may help give you extra energy to safely get through the last 30 minutes of class.

Good luck
Vic
Old 09-23-2005, 04:39 PM   #12
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

Long hot baths help me feel okay about going back the day after a hard training session. The bath needs to be the same day as the training session, not the morning after--that doesn't seem to work.

My teachers told me not to practice several days in a row initially as I'd probably hurt myself, and they were right. I can do it now, but after a 2-week forced absence I found that four days of 3-hour sessions every day was a bit more than was good for me--I should have scheduled a day off in there. It is better to be on the mat three times a week and training well than five times a week but slacking half the time due to fatigue, or worse, injuring yourself.

It does get better with consistent practice and improved ukemi. But you should expect to feel some soreness now and again after seminars or hard classes even when quite experienced--at least, if I can judge by my seniors' poor attendence Monday after each seminar!

Mary Kaye
Old 09-24-2005, 06:47 PM   #13
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai

I find that cross training ( aerobics classes, walking up and down hills) in between classes rests the Aikido muscles but helps maintain fitness in general.

Jeanne
Old 09-24-2005, 09:31 PM   #14
NagaBaba

Recovery time between sessions? naaahhh....not for martial artists!
There is old saiyng from Himalaya: "everything that isn't killing you, will reinforce you"

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 09-25-2005, 04:51 AM   #15
Ali B
United Kingdom

Try to relax more during your practice. When I started out I was sore after every session and rests and hot baths were the answer. This is because I was still under the impression that aikido was about using muscles... Once I "got it " that you have to completely relax your body whilst extending - my practice improved a lot and I was not so sore, I also got less injuries
Old 09-25-2005, 12:03 PM   #16
justin
United Kingdom

thats a very good one thanks alison i shall try that i come from a karate background and am trying my hardest to losen up i will get there one day i guess
Old 09-26-2005, 02:08 AM   #17
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

I'm probably echoing other people, but at 27 i'm beginning to notice my recovery time slows down. I think the key is to train at a level that is healthy. I'm resuming training after having been a away for a little while and i find a prolonged cool-down helps a lot. Stretch a lot after training, but do it gently of course. Also, are you keeping active throughout the week? When you train hard and then sit at a desk all day and then train hard, it's very shocking to your body and in my opinion invites injury too. Without knowing you it's hard to say, but I suggest being as active as possible while being sure not to over-do it.

Gambarimashyo!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!