Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-31-2001, 06:19 AM   #26
guest1234
Let's see, I usually only use kg for kid's meds, but I guess I'd be around 45 kg, so I can't speak from your experience, Mark, but as a somewhat smaller Aikidoka...

I think it must be difficult for larger stronger folks to learn to relax, as charging full strength against strength usually works for them...until they find someone stronger/bigger, or in the case of your gleeful seniors, someone who knows how to use that force. They like you as a uke because you are no doubt giving a great deal of energy into your attack. What may be causing you the pain at the end of it is---general Aikido rule #1---never attack faster or stronger than you can fall or move. Big newer attackers sometimes are not yet attuned to being sensitive to what nage is doing with their attack energy, so their ukemi lags and pain enters the picture suddenly and with great force. I'd suggest attack as you have been, but from the moment you contact nage (and this, in my opinion, occurs before you touch eachother) also be aware of what he is doing to your body. Not only do you pick up the technique better faster, but you are on the same sheet of music so the lock or throw is not a total surprise.

as nage, like others have said better before me, it is not you 'doing' something to uke, but as you contact them feel the force and direction of the attack and use that, not your probably much greater personal strength. I think the challenge in that for bigger nages is first feeling the energy from uke, as it will not be probably as much as you could throw, and if they are small enough you can ignore it completely and just muscle them where you want. I have a lot of sympathy for those who are big and strong in this art, as it is harder to unlearn using personal force, and more difficult to tell when you are if most ukes are significantly smaller. But when you big guys manage it, wow, is it ever impressive...besides, I'm jealous of the big nages when it comes to atemi (that most ukes will naturally respect from you...)
Old 08-31-2001, 11:01 AM   #27
j0nharris
Dojo: Kododan Aikido USA
United_States
challenges

For a few months after breaking a little toe on the mat, I had the hardest time doing breakfalls to that side, with the partner I had been working with at the time.... Not that it was in any way his fault.

My biggest challenge now, though, is not tripping over my new hakama when I stand up after a fall.

-jon

jon harris

Life is a journey...
Now, who took my @#$%! map?!
Old 08-31-2001, 12:16 PM   #28
BrokenKnees
Dojo: Shinju-Kai
Quote:
But when you big guys manage it, wow, is it ever impressive...besides, I'm jealous of the big nages when it comes to atemi (that most ukes will naturally respect from you...)
Hahaha! Sometimes, I wonder what will happen if I give a full-power atemi! But really in practice, I daren't do it! I've seen what a full-blooded mae geri can do to someone who was expecting it, much less someone who's not! Thanks for the insight Colleen

Quote:
I could explain more but this is getting a bit long-winded!
Ian, thanks for the tips. If I understand it right, it all boils down to me being able to "feel" my uke better. You are completely on the mark when you mention that I can probably only achieve it with a thorough grip of the techniques. Maybe I'm simply being too adventurous. I got a long wy to go
Thanks everyone!
Old 08-31-2001, 01:12 PM   #29
Chocolateuke
Dojo: Muhu Dojo
Location: Middle of nowhere in California 14 miles from Buellton
im back! i just got back from a 8 day 60 plus mile connoe trip! it was fun and aikido deffinatly helped me keep going. the problem for me is balence but i am stedly improving! as for collen maybe you need to hit your ukes harder then they will block. but that seems out of your sweet nature! well it is great to be home!

Dallas Adolphsen
Old 08-31-2001, 01:36 PM   #30
BC
Lately I've been trying to work on getting the breakfall on shihonage down. For some reason, it is difficult for me to get right.

Robert Cronin

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!