Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-26-2001, 08:45 PM   #26
eve
Dojo: Valley Aikido
Quote:
Originally posted by Jack
The knees are the real concern though. They only hurt when I do deep bends, like getting up from a fall or from the sitting position. I don't know if this normal or possibly the beginning of a problem. I didn't notice any pain for the first few weeks, but now I do. Maybe taking some time off will help, although I don't really want to.

Thanks, [/b]
Hi John,

I've been practicing about a year and a half, and several months ago I developed some pretty nasty knee pain. Mostly on deep bends, like you said, it progressed to also hurt when I walked up or down stairs etc. I admit I waited to long to have it looked at.

I went to the doctor who diagnosed it. My muscles were developing unevenly, the muscles on the outside edge of my legs faster than the inside, and it was pulling the knee cap off kilter, which was inflaming the groove, which was hurting. They set me up in physical therapy, told me to ice it when it hurt. I took a break from aikido while going through physical therapy for about 4 weeks (only did weapons which doesn't have as many of the deep knee bends), because I'd let it get pretty bad. I'm still doing my exercises from PT, but back up to a full schedule of aikido pain free (for about 2 or 3 months now). No further problems.

So I guess my advice would be see someone who can give you more info.

Good luck,
Eve Peters-Campbell
Old 08-26-2001, 11:06 PM   #27
Joy Johnson
knees hurting!

Hi Jack!

I've never written on a forum before, but I had to respond to your problem. I've been taking aikido for a little over a year, and had the exact same problem with my knees. They didn't hurt (much) at the beginning, but got worse as the weeks went by. They really hurt when getting up or down from a low sitting position. By the way, I'm older than you -- 50 now, but 49 when I started. A doctor friend told me to take an anti-inflamatory medication, such as Aleve, which helped somewhat. I saw that someone else mentioned taking MSM, which you can get at almost any store that sells vitamins. I had been taking 500 mg of MSM for awhile, but I am convinced that what "cured" my pain was taking 2000 mg of MSM a day. After I raised the dosage, it wasn't long until the pain disappeared. From what I remember, the pain had been getting worse over a period of three or four months (can't remember -- another sign of aging??) Of course, I also had shoulder pain, neck pain, and various other problems, but that was from doing the rolls and other techniques incorrectly. I'm still far from doing everything right, but for the most part it doesn't hurt! So I would encourage you to at least try taking MSM before giving up on aikido. I've read that it works better if you take vitamin C along with it. A friend of mine had trouble sleeping when she took it at night, so you might want to take it in the morning or middle of the day. I hope this helps!

Joy
Old 08-27-2001, 08:04 PM   #28
Jack
Thanks everyone! Your advice has been very, very helpful.

I'l be seeing my doctor soon and hopefully will find out exactly what the problem is.

As to the supplements, I know what glusosomine is, but what is MSM? What are good excersises for the inner thigh (horseriding?).

Jack Taylor
Old 08-29-2001, 12:19 PM   #29
Joy Johnson
MSM

Hi Jack,

I'll quote what it says on the back of the bottle: "Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) is an organic source of sulfur, one of the major building blocks of glycosaminoglycans. Glycosaminoglycans are key structural componets in cartilage and play an inportant role in the maintenance of joint cartilage." A friend has a book ("MSM, the Natural Pain Relief Remedy" by Deborah Mitchell) which says, "MSM is a nutrient -- a specific type of dietary sulfur that our bodies require in our diet to perform their esstial functions. It's not a drug. Instead, it functions as part of a complex symphony of vitamins, minerals, and other compounds that work together to facilitate virtually every bodily process you can imagine, from circulation to digestions, infection-fighting to wound healing....It's a water-soluble compound that's found in all living things on Earth: plants, animals, fish, even algae."

I first heard about it as a remedy for arthritis; I've heard of some people that it's taken away the pain completely. The book suggests trying from 2000 to 5000 mg a day for pain, and then reducing the dosage as needed. My knees were hurting more and more until I went up to 2000 mg. I just wanted to write about it, because most people haven't heard of it. I hope this helps!

Joy
Old 08-29-2001, 01:53 PM   #30
michaelkvance
Dojo: Aikido Center of Los Angeles
Just as a quick counterpoint:

http://www.quackwatch.com/01Quackery...s/DSH/msm.html

While I don't endorse any side of the issue, I think it's important to at least see them

m.

Last edited by michaelkvance : 08-29-2001 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-29-2001, 07:55 PM   #31
Jim23
Placebos have been proven to be very effective in clinical studies.

Like they say, belief kills and belief cures. (Who are they anyway?)

Jim23

Remember, all generalizations are false
Old 08-30-2001, 11:10 AM   #32
BrokenKnees
Dojo: Shinju-Kai
Quote:

Jim23

Jim23
And here I was about to run out and look for this MSM thing to cure my knees. Maybe If I believe in my heart of hearts, they will not give way ? (who they hell do they think they are anyway?)

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!